Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
HOW MANY ARE RAISING GRANDCHILDREN? >

HOW MANY ARE RAISING GRANDCHILDREN?

HOW MANY ARE RAISING GRANDCHILDREN?

Old 04-24-2010, 02:40 PM

You guys are all amazing. We don't have any grandchildren yet but I was not a happy stay-at-home mom when my kids were young and couldn't wait to go back to the work world. I can't imagine doing that again once I retire. I feel like I did my time and don't want to be a parent to young children again. I think I am too selfish.

Of course, I am not in a situation where I have to make the choice - I guess I can't say for sure I would do.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:30 PM

We raised our first grand daughter from birth until 4 1/2 ys old. My DD could not get her life in order so we had full custody thru the courts. I was still working part time but we had a wonderful baby sitter while I worked. Then when my DD finally married her DH said they would not have any children until they could have her daughter back. It broke our hearts to give her up (and she had to go to court and adopt her)but the bond is still there between us. She is now 26 yrs old and has her own lovely child our great grand daughter. Marge
Old 04-24-2010, 05:59 PM
Google Goddess

wow, looks like you are busy raising grandchildren, how fun
Old 04-24-2010, 06:06 PM

I know several people who are raising their grandchildren because the only other option was foster care. I cannot imagine how they manage, except that God takes care of those who take care of others.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:01 AM

I raised my grandson and I wish that I could do it all over again.He is now grown and on his own and I miss him so much.They keep you young. I only have the one grandchild. I wish I had 20!!!! Just love em!!
Old 04-25-2010, 03:55 AM

I understand completely.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:57 AM

Raised two of my grandchildren for five years while DD was "finding herself". I really was heartbroken and worried when she went to court and got them back. I do get to see them often and have them overnight a lot so that does help. Everynight they call me to stay goodnight. Even though it was hard, I worked fulltime and had to get daycare I would do it over again. There was really never any question about why I just stepped in and did what had to be done.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by tmg
I am 37 and raising my own children with my husband help. Three of them 17, 13, and 10. My loving mother lives next door to us. She helps out when needed or just because. I do know several GP how are raising GC and it is not right to the GP at all. I do understand that with all the deadbeats out there it happens. There are large number of single moms out there that will move back home instead of going on welfare. I know this because my DD has friends that live with grandparents and mother.
I give the grandparent much praise for taking the daughter back rather than have she and the grandkids go on welfare... it's hard but things work out for the best....
Old 04-25-2010, 04:41 AM

We've been raising my granddaughter since 2000, she's now 17.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:49 AM

I don't know if this qualifies. I take care of 4 of my grandkids during the day so their parents can work. I was in child care for over 25 years and it just made sence to "work for my kids"
They are here everyday, sometimes overnight. Their ages are 1,2,3,5. It allows me to be very involved in the upbringing and
i can be at home everyday since they are brought to me. Sometimes it gets stressful but i really enjoy them at it allows me to do a little quilting during the day (if they nap well) go to
With the high cost a daycare today, my kids can pay me a small amount and still go to work. It works for everyone.