Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
HOW MANY ARE RAISING GRANDCHILDREN? >

HOW MANY ARE RAISING GRANDCHILDREN?

HOW MANY ARE RAISING GRANDCHILDREN?

Old 04-25-2010, 05:32 AM

My grandaughter is 14 years old and her Papaw and I have pretty much raised her. Her Mom is bi-polar and was in no way ready to be a mom when she was born. She lives with her mom and stepdad, has not contact with her so called father but is ours on the weekends. It was not easy when she was a baby because she was passed back and forth between us and her other grandparents--half week here and half week there,until she started school. Her father abused her mother physically and metally---it was a living He-- but we made it through. DG is a sweet, loving and caring young lady and we cannot imagine her not in our lives. She is struggling with normal teenage issues along with trying to cope with the realization of what bi-polar is. She comes to us with everything and we do our best to guide her in the right direction. Actually, even though I am older than when I raised her mom and uncle, I think it is easier because of the experiences I have already been through. I love her with all my heart and would not have it any other way.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:48 AM

You are all HEROS. You deserve all the credit in the world for taking on such a responsibility; I think we would all do this if presented with circumstances that warranted; at least, I hope we would. After all, we are quilters, and we all know quilters are good people.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

My DD and her daughter (my wonderful DGD) live with me. They moved in when DGD was 11 months old. My DD said it was just til she got on her feet. I took care of bills and such so she could go back to school. She now has a great job and is doing well. She still lives with me and helps with household expenses and such. DGD is turning 7 in a couple weeks. I can't imagine not having them here and DGD can't imagine living anywhere else. I guess I'm more like a second mom than a grandma but it works for us.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:17 PM

You are all truly angels. The children are so blessed to have you available in their lives. The county that I live in has over 100 children needing foster care, and only 7 certified foster care families. Not all grandparents are able or fit to raise the grandbabies. My hat is off to all you who do this.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:10 PM

My mom helped me raise my two children. With my hubby and I needing to work full time my mom provided day care for us. she has raised a number of kids with her at home daycare. We were very greatful to have her and all of the money saved, she wouldn't take payment for looking after them. She encourged us to put the money into educational accounts for the kids so they are now set for college! DD is 15 and DS is 14.

Grandparents ROCK!!!!!
Old 04-25-2010, 03:26 PM
Power Poster

Grandparents are wonderful people. Amazing all the work they do, often behind the scenes.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:53 PM

I was 62 when Johnny was born. On the way home from the hospital, I asked if they wanted me to come stay the night and help them. My DIL said "take him home with you". Didn't know I was having a baby! Rushed to WalMart and got a large laundry basket, diapers, bottles, clothes, formula,and took him home with me. I was working and took a few days off and he stayed at my house. When I had to go back to work the parents still wanted me to keep him at night. So I would pick him up on my way home from work and take him back when I went to work the next day. Then the parents moved in a sex offender and Children's Services got involved. Meanwhile, my DH and I were taking Foster Parents classes to be able to have him placed with us should he be taken from them. Finally, at 20 months, he was placed with us, and then came the court appearances, classes for the parents to learn how to parent, then a psych eval and she was deemed too crazy to care for a child, and altho my son was competent, he was abusive and they had to relinquish their parental rights. At that point we were evaluated to see if we could adopt him. We passed and when he was three the judge signed the papers and we were parenting again. There is so much more to this story. The filth they subjected him to, the abuse, the neglect, and all my pleadings for them to do better, the worry when he was with them. If I hadn't lived it I wouldn't believe it. He is now a happy, healthy, much loved 7 year old; blond hair, blue eyes, gorgeous child. I'm now 69 and it's a little more difficult because I have fibromyalgia. We feel so blessed to have him. If we hadn't fought for him, he would be dead or in "the system". When we were in the process of adoption, I asked the case worker why he thought I would be a good parent, having failed so miserably with my son. He knew I had 3 other children, and he said some just turn out not-so-good, as the other 3 are good people.
I guess the kicker to all this is Johnny is not my biological grandson; she was 8 months pregnant when my son married her, knowing it wasn't his child. My experience just confirms what I have always thought; I can love any child. I am so thankful that we have him. He is a delight and I am like a mother lion protecting her cub. The parents moved to the East Coast, so I don't worry about them snatching him, but I am still on guard just in case. He is so darned cute some other nut case may try.
Wow, I dumped a lot on all you people. Thanks for listening.YTQ
Old 04-25-2010, 06:56 PM

My Grandmother raised me way back in the WV hills during
"The" depression. and even though I went back to live with
my parents and siblings, 'home' was always those lovely
green hills, and "Grandma" was always my first thought
when anyone ever mentioned parents. She was uneducated,
yet the wisest person I've ever had the privilege to know.
I'll miss her all my life. I was incredibly lucky to have been
the chosen one to live with her.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:05 PM

My grandson is now 14, and living with his mom, (my dd) and step dad. When he was little I kept him alot, then the divorce came and they lived with us. During that time dd was such a mess emotionally, that I pretty much became the "mom" figure for him. No matter how many grandchildren I may have in the future, I will always be closest to him. He is more like a son to me, than a grandson.

His biological father relinquished all rights so he wouldn't have to pay child support. Go figure.

Bringing up this issue, since those rights were terminated by the court at his request, and approved by the judge, he can never step back in and claim any rights over this child whatsoever. The judge approved the request saying, "in the best interest, of this child, and society as a whole, I grant this request".
Old 04-25-2010, 08:19 PM

My DH (2nd marriage) and I spent the first 9 years of our marriage helping to raise our 3 grandchildren. For some reason 5 years ago, my daughter decided I had never been a good mother to her and told story after story that wasn't true. I have seen the grandchildren 3 times in 5 years...even got told to go to He..??.. from the oldest grandchild...and I don't know why. We spent every week-end (from Friday after work until sometimes 2 and 3 am on Sunday...and I had to get up at 5 am to go to work). Never a thank you...just here they are, we're doing our thing. I thought I was the only one with a messed up family...I have apologized to my DH almost every day for my children's behavior. My son, who has decided he is gay, is saying how I never taught him to respect HIS husband when he was little...that was a blow to me. I feel like a punching bag for them, I was for their father. I guess the teaching they got was from him, and not for me. Thanks for letting me vent.