Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How many of you actually listen to your doctor's advice? >

How many of you actually listen to your doctor's advice?

How many of you actually listen to your doctor's advice?

Old 05-02-2010, 06:17 AM

After being involved with the medical field for so many years I listen, but I JUDGE for myself what is best. I read up a lot and I question. I have a doctor now that supports natural remedies over pills. I like that. What i DO NOT listen to my doctor about is his orders to WALK and cut down on FAT!!!! LOL LOL I'm sorry I just cannot follow thru -- even though I tell myself to listen to him!!!!
Old 05-02-2010, 06:33 AM

I usually try to listen to the Dr. or NP I also try to inform them on everything I am using to see if anything interacts. I give lots of advice when asked and sometimes when not asked, (I am a nurse also). I usually research on what has been advised or prescribed. The hardest to hear is you have to lose weight or things aren't going to get better. don't I know that already. I hate going to the Dr and then hear You're an RN so you already know this, no I don't or I wouldn't be here. OK enough ranting and back to exercising..................................
Old 05-02-2010, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by ginnie6
I'd have to go to the doctor to listen to one! lol! Dh has to just about hog tie me and drag me kicking and screaming to go. I've either had them have the "god" complex and totally dismiss all talking things over or have less knowledge about herbs and things than I do. If its an emergency I can't handle I'll go but for normal stuff no way. Did I also mention that just the mention of going to the doctor is enough to send my bp sky high? My bp that has been controlled nicely by herbs for ohh....11 years?
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 05-02-2010, 06:53 AM

I PMed you. Unless you absolutely cannot wean yourself down - and maybe your herb is doing that - you can have some adverse effects that will not start until your body is completely rid of the drug. This can take weeks.

A phone call to your doc will not cost that much.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:03 AM

I do listen to my doctor; and he listens to me also.
He sounds like the same kind of doc as the one Gramof6 has. We are so fortunate to have someone like that!
Old 05-02-2010, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by DA Mayer
I usually try to listen to the Dr. or NP I also try to inform them on everything I am using to see if anything interacts. I give lots of advice when asked and sometimes when not asked, (I am a nurse also). I usually research on what has been advised or prescribed. The hardest to hear is you have to lose weight or things aren't going to get better. don't I know that already. I hate going to the Dr and then hear You're an RN so you already know this, no I don't or I wouldn't be here. OK enough ranting and back to exercising..................................
Denise, Isn't that the truth! Yes we might be an RN, but this is me, and I have done everything I know to do about this issue, and wasn't able to see any improvement or I wouldn't be here. :D My doc is a sweetie, he knows if I am in his office as a patient (I used to fill in at his office), then I am sick! I am bad, I only go to the doc when I am half dead and can't keep bookin'....ummmm, don't tell any of my clients that :oops:
Old 05-02-2010, 02:55 PM

I do listen to my Dr. More importantly, he listens to me too and he always takes the time to explain things to me. In the past I've had some bad Drs. but luckily I found a great one. :-)
Old 05-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

Most Drs. take the drug reps info about what the drug will or will not do. Few of them will research the new drugs throughly, they depend on the drug company to do that for them.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:32 PM

I love my doctor. He listens to me, and I listen to him and follow his advice, because we have a trust relationship. He is my physician, but also prescribes my bi-polar meds, so its important to me that he not only knows his drugs, but that he knows me and what kind of impact the drugs are having on me. I've had some really bad psych docs in the past, and they're the ones who typically prescribe the meds, and they only talk to you for about 10 minutes 4 times a year, and can't remember you from session to session. Trust them? I don't think so! I talked to my physician and asked if he could do the prescribing for me, and we agreed on how to go about it. He sees me more often, and certainly LISTENS to what I have to say, unlike the high-and-mighty psychiatrists, whose job is to push the latest pills. So, yes, my current doc is a real keeper, and I follow his advice. That's not to say that I don't do research on my own, because I do, and then discuss it with him. He doesn't mind at all, and seems to like a pro-active patient who is involved in their own care.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:23 PM

I try to. My one doc (internal medicine) and I get along great. Shes my main doc. The doc for my diabeties basically dropped me because I lost insurance. I don't go to the heart speacilist like I should, because I have to pay out of pocket and just can't afford to. Right now he is refusing to give me my meds till I see him. I don't know what they expect me to do! I also have a hubby who has said that I prob don't need most of my medicine, and its like pulling teeth to convince him I need to go. Sometimes its just too overwhelming!