Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: how is your garden growing????

Even with watering things still burn up. Tomatoes loose most of their blooms from the heat. Dug everything else up and will wait for fall to see if conditions are better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    I tell you..if we had to actually LIVE off what we grow, we would be starving this year...

first came the late winter(in March/April) and now it is the August heat in May/June...we have been over 100 for most of 3 weeks now..and NOTHING is growing..

I have pepper plants that should be 3' tall and loaded with peppers that are only 6" tall and barren.....
    the tomatoes make blooms, that wither and die two days later...NO zuchini, either...I am heart broken..it is a lot of painful work for me to put in the garden each year and when this happens it is twice the pain....

wondering how others are fairing this year with all of the really wacky weather across the country....

willing to trade fabric for a bushel of picking cukes...sigh....
    It's been an extremely odd year! Couldn't get mine in due to rain until first week of June. We've only had a handful of "nice" days, and never in a row! More rain, corn is looking yellow, garden is looking bedraggled! Hope things take a turn for the better soon, it's already the first day of summer and after this the days start getting shorter! I can almost hear the winter winds!!! LOL

Blog Entries
    I have one tomato plant that has two flowers on it and I have lots of flowers planted, mostly dahlias, morning glories and moon-flowers.

Everything is doing great this year. We had a ton of snow this past winter and a fairly warm wet spring, but the plants are growing at the normal speed.

My weeds are having a prolific year! Plenty of sun and water for them to grow....and grow....and grow! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Everything is growing great. We couldn't plant till the last week of May due to a rain all month. Everything is thriving now. There is nothing better than fresh veggies! :)

Ask the deer, they are enjoying it, they are eating peas, snaps and all of our apples are gone from the trees, either the deer or squirrels got them.

Our corn looks good (so far). Would like to have some rain.

Live in Rochester, NY. It is dry but I keep the plants watered and they are doing beautifully, lots of tiny peppers and tomato fruits. Pray yours will blossom soon too. It IS a lot of work for not being rewarded. :(

Mines not looking real great either.....it was put in really late this year, because of cold weather.

My garden is doing great. I have to water it every day or it would dry up and blow away!

we water our garden with a timer so it gets watered each day. We only get to it, face-to-face if you will, on the weekends.

pretty much the same are your garden. We have tomatoes, but they are tiny, the peppers seem to like it hot as do the eggplants and melons. The green beans are dead, the squash is producing poorly. We water every other day and it helps some.
    I've grown rather tired of the drought.

Blog Entries
    And yet the weeds survive; go figure. It's crazy the things that live no matter what mother nature does to it.

happy with my garden,
    Reading, PA

I only garden on a small scale. We planted 9 tomato plants, 3 cucumber, 3 green peppers, 1 zuchinni and 2 straight neck squash. It all went in on May 1st. By June 1st the squash were only as big as a dinner plate, and the cukes, and peppers had chewed up leaves. I wasn't sure if it was bugs or the hail storm. The tomato leaves were spotted with black and drying up. Thought it was maybe a fungus or too much cold and rain. I trimmed all the bad looking leaves, we did spray an insecticide (hate to do that) and put out snail bait. Everything is coming back and the squash grew gigantic in two weeks. We have small squash growing, a few tiny green cherry tomatoes, cucumbers are starting, and a couple of peppers too. Just hoping it continues to grow. It looks nice and healthy so I am keeping my fingers crossed. We also have a grow box full of strawberries, but don't get more than a handful every other day. I think they are overcrowded in the space we put them. I'm learning slowly..... :lol: I forgot to say, to everyone who is discouraged--keep trying. We'll just get better with practice, and we never know when the day will come that we will really need the food that we can grow and the skills we have developed, especially the things we have learned during the bad years.

Jacquie,
    I feel your pain garden wise as last year our garden didnít grow too well either. We coddled and nursed it along with an end result that we did manage to get something from it but it did take nearly all season. Nothing wanted to grow. We have been very dry over this side of the sea so nothing is a surprise really.
    Our winter garden is in at the moment and so far so good, some things have powered along while others are slowly slowly so we shall see.
    I suspect the Mother Nature hasnít finished with us yet so more pain to come. I netted my garden beds which I have found made a huge difference as it has provided a lovely micro climate for the veggies seemingly protecting them from strong winds among other nastiesí.

Our raised garden bed went in late this year. I have nice plants that are up and growing but I fertilized when I planted.
    I am trying "Hydroponic Tomatoes" this year. They are grown in a Rubbermaid container...the plants are getting HUGE. A friend got 27 quarts of tomatoes from 4 plants last year.. Wish me luck...the raccoons cannot get to these tomatoes but chipmunks will be munching and I will be starting my "chipmunk relocation program" soon.
    Hoping to get more than 7 cherry tomatoes/day from my hanging tomatoes..
    I do water from my rain barrel quite often. I try hard to be "Mother Earth."

Western Colorado is semi-arid, so I plan accordingly, but this year has been weird. We had a very late frost/cold snap that did in my apple, peach, and pie cherries, after they bloomed heavily. Then we had much more rain than usual so there was some hope only to be followed by hot, dry winds that lasted for days, with gusts up to 55mph.
    It is not looking promising.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    I tell you..if we had to actually LIVE off what we grow, we would be starving this year...

first came the late winter(in March/April) and now it is the August heat in May/June...we have been over 100 for most of 3 weeks now..and NOTHING is growing..

I have pepper plants that should be 3' tall and loaded with peppers that are only 6" tall and barren.....
    the tomatoes make blooms, that wither and die two days later...NO zuchini, either...I am heart broken..it is a lot of painful work for me to put in the garden each year and when this happens it is twice the pain....

wondering how others are fairing this year with all of the really wacky weather across the country....

willing to trade fabric for a bushel of picking cukes...sigh....
    Wish I could help. First all the cukes died then we bought more plants. They were beautiful Friday night and Saturday morning we found that the deer had eaten them all!

I just blanched and froze some okra today. We have tomatoes, gr pepper, okra, gr beans, watermelon, radishes and I don't know what else.

The credit goes to my son and DH. I'm not a gardner.

Under Water!!!!!

No garden but am paying the prices for the weather beaten plants....

at the supermarket....

Blog Entries
    My growing season is way to short to grow anything but weeds.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Connie in CO
    My growing season is way to short to grow anything but weeds.
    now, now...come on...I lived in BUSH Alaska..on permafrost and had a garden....you can garden in CO too...

my VEGGIE bed in Bethel, Alaska
    Name:  Attachment-215150.jpe
Views: 36
Size:  71.0 KB

my tub o'nasturtiums in Bethel, Alaska with romaine in front!
    Name:  Attachment-215151.jpe
Views: 41
Size:  48.9 KB

my studio with garden in front Bethel, Alaska
    Name:  Attachment-215152.jpe
Views: 10
Size:  52.3 KB

Our farmers, here in NW Ohio, finally got their corn planted...and no way is it going to be 'knee high by the 4th of July'.....it's just barely ankle high. So sad.
    Janet in Ohio

Connie in Co... love your Alaska gardens.....

I guess anything goes if you really are a gardener

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast