Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Huge Mosquitos in Michigan, new to me >

Huge Mosquitos in Michigan, new to me

Huge Mosquitos in Michigan, new to me

Old 08-12-2011, 04:18 AM

I have lived in Michigan my whole life and have never seen that kind of mosquito. And I hope I don't -they sound really nasty!
Old 08-12-2011, 04:39 AM

I grew up in Mich. When I told my new Ga. friends about the freakin clouds of mosquitos that make life miserable, they just galze over and say "Right". About 12 years ago my friend mentioned that she couldn't walk cause the little black mosquitos attacked her, I too thought "Right". Well......the little buggers invaded my little yard. They are black, tiny, and only need a drop of dew to breed. Their bite is nasty, the welts are huge, and the itch lasts over a week. Kath said that they have migrated her from Miami, where she was raised.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

Only thing good about being dry here in Kannsas is I haven"t had any mosquitoes,
Old 08-12-2011, 05:08 AM

I could be wrong about this wasp.. but I think these nasty little buggers like sandy areas best. If you do not have sandy soil, you will most likely not see them, or have very few of them.

Now for the state bird (Wisconsin's also ha ha ha).. you can keep them huge buggers. It is sad that you can not sit outside and enjoy an evening by the fire because you will need a blood transfussion before the night is over. It has been way to hot to sit with your skin covered entirely.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:08 AM

Please keep your bugs. We have stinkbugs. Don't need any other species. Ugh!
Old 08-12-2011, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by pab58
Alright Kathy!!!! You can just keep those nasty sounding critters down there in Ann Arbor!!!! I don't want them in Redford!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: On occasion we get a cicada wasp. They scare the heck out of you when you first see one! :shock: When I first saw one, I thought it might be a small hummingbird!!! Nope!! I found out it was a cicada wasp!! Should I send you one -- or two -- or three????? :D :D
I wonder if that's what I've been seeing outside lately. They look like dragonflies or a small hummingbird (which I have quite a few here). I'm not going to get close enough to find out.

:shock:
Old 08-12-2011, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
Originally Posted by pab58
Here ya go! Cicada killer wasps really don't bother you unless you really make them angry. They will dig burrows in soft soil such as sand then capture a cicada, carry it back to the burrow where it will take it down in the hole. The wasp will lay an egg and the cicada becomes food for the larva.
Hah! I was walking my dog one day and one of those wasps was taking down a cicada. The cicada was making quite a ruckus and my dog really, REALLY wanted to check it out! I didn't think it was a good idea. :)
I had the same thing yesterday...YUCK...Tink wanted to see what was going on....I picked her up and got the heck out of there...
Old 08-12-2011, 07:10 AM

charlotte nc has big mosiqutoes,hate them!
Old 08-12-2011, 08:06 AM

Up in Northern Michigan they have little, tiny black flies and they have a terrible bite, too. They are so small they can go right through a screen.

Haven't seen any cicada's here but that doesn't mean they aren't around. I only go from my house to the van. Can't sit outside with these nasty mosquitos. Went out back for 5 minutes last night and came in with 5 bites. I always get big welts. I figured since it was around 70 outside with a nice breeze it would be OK. Wrong. Didn't stop those big buggers.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:32 AM

It is noon here. Safe to go outside, right? Darn! Those things are as big as a B-52! I tried using a bug spray that would drop a horsefly dead in its tracks. I'm thinking the only thing that's going to work with these things is weapons grade Plutonium! We'd all die an early death, but at least we wouldn't be eaten alive. I have some bites that are as big as tumors! And it's the middle of the day. If you swat at them it only makes them more determined to get at you. I bet if I hit one with my car it would leave a dent.

I just wanted to check out my garden. Guess I'll go buy a haz-mat suit.

It is neither a Crane fly or a Mosquito Hawk. Those are more silent and their legs are not as striped.

Our new state bird
[ATTACH=CONFIG]240524[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-240518.png