Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Huge Mosquitos in Michigan, new to me >

Huge Mosquitos in Michigan, new to me

Huge Mosquitos in Michigan, new to me

Old 08-13-2011, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by alices
WOW how cool is that! Would love to see some out at the Chelsea Discovery Center. We could teach alot of kids and other people about them :)
Originally Posted by pab58
The cicada killer wasps do prefer sandy soil because they need to dig their tunnels. They really are quite facinating to watch. My DH2B used to live five blocks away from me (approximately 1/2 mile), and he had a few that would hang around the edge of his lawn. His neighbor, however, had them all over his front lawn! They seem to hover around their tunnels. They will fly only about a foot or two above the ground's surface. They won't bite you unless you REALLY make them angry. If you get near their tunnel, they will fly around you, but won't land on you. They just want to make sure you don't mess with their tunnel! I used to cover over the holes just so I could watch them dig the dirt back out! :-D

Kathy, you just keep your "birds" in your OWN backyard missy!!!! I don't want them!!!!! :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
What??? You don't want any mosquitos, too? :shock: :shock: :shock:

They have reported having the mosquitos out in the Chelsea area.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:39 AM

Well, Kathy if she can't catch any of her own, maybe you can send her some of yours!! :D :D :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 08-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

Wow and i thought mosquitoes were big in Texas.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

Alright Kathy!!!! You can just keep those nasty sounding critters down there in Ann Arbor!!!! I don't want them in Redford!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: On occasion we get a cicada wasp. They scare the heck out of you when you first see one! :shock: When I first saw one, I thought it might be a small hummingbird!!! Nope!! I found out it was a cicada wasp!! Should I send you one -- or two -- or three????? :D :D
doggone, those suckers must be huge!!!
We don't have those...just pythons and boas!!! :shock:
Old 08-14-2011, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mousie
Alright Kathy!!!! You can just keep those nasty sounding critters down there in Ann Arbor!!!! I don't want them in Redford!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: On occasion we get a cicada wasp. They scare the heck out of you when you first see one! :shock: When I first saw one, I thought it might be a small hummingbird!!! Nope!! I found out it was a cicada wasp!! Should I send you one -- or two -- or three????? :D :D
doggone, those suckers must be huge!!!
We don't have those...just pythons and boas!!! :shock:
Mousie, I'll take the skeeters and cicada killer wasps over your pythons and boas ANY DAY!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: You better be careful little mouse! My DH2Bs eldest son has three boas, and he feeds them.........gulp..........ya know.........uh.........meeces and rats!!!! :shock: :shock: So I know they eat them! Sure wouldn't want those nasty 'ol snakes in Florida to get you! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Old 08-16-2011, 02:11 AM

I'd be inside for sure.