Hurricane Irene

Old 08-25-2011, 10:34 AM
Cyn

Originally Posted by Maggiesmom
Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
Geez, Karen....I feel like I *should* but then again, we're 2.5 hours in from the coast...how bad could it be? I know we'll probably get a bunch of rain.
Don't know where you are, but I remember when I lived there one came all across as far as Winston-Salem and caused damage. Hugo, I think.
I remember this one well!
Old 08-25-2011, 10:44 AM

Geez, Karen....I feel like I *should* but then again, we're 2.5 hours in from the coast...how bad could it be? I know we'll probably get a bunch of rain.
Don't ask that! LOL! You need to get emergency supplies for your family. I live 3 hours inland from Wilmington and we are getting water, batteries and canned food. I put gas in the car yesterday. I couldn't afford to fill it up, but at least I put some in. This could be a false alarm (like so many others) but as the old adage goes "better to have and not need than need and not have." Hurricane Hugo did a real number on the Charlotte area 22 years ago. I know money is tight for a lot of people right now. It is for my family too. I'm not saying go out and spend a bunch of money. But do spend some time thinking about what you might need. Make sure everyone has any needed meds and a change or two of clothes packed and ready to go. Put gas in your car. Get some bottled water and food and batteries. This could be nothing or it could be big. The storm is huge! It's just a matter of when it hits and where as to who needs emergency supplies and who doesn't. And just think, if you get these things now, you won't have to run out to buy them when snow is forecast!
Old 08-25-2011, 10:46 AM

Prayers and thoughts to all who will be affected by her. I'm pretty much out of her way but been through enough of them to be glad I'm where I am!
Old 08-25-2011, 11:59 AM

As a been there done that from Florida, this storm is over 200 mi. wide. So 2.5 hr is 80 - 100 miles from coast. You can still be affected. For those who may be affected. Wash out your tubs and fill them and your washer with water. Have a bucket on hand by the tub. You will need this to "flush" the toilet should you lose power and water.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by erstan947
When Katrina hit, in the gulf Northern Mississippi was without elect. For a good while. At least plan for power outage.
the difference is that Katrina was a full force hit. Irene is traveling up the coast with the dangerous side out to sea. the shore will experience the "dry" side. it should be a level 2 by the time it reaches the carolinas and a level 1 by the time it gets to ny. i'm not saying not to prepare as it is always good to be prepared.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:34 PM

We are about 2 hours from the coast of NC so I really hope all we get is some rain and a little wind. I usually keep my pantry stocked so we should be ok. Certainly hope everyone is ok and there is no damages.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:41 PM

Check out Flylady for her list of "must haves" for fast evacuations.
She also mentions cat cages (for small dogs too) because if you're in a public building for safety they don't want small dogs getting hysterical where they have small kids.

Also don't forget pet meds and foods and favorite blankets and toys. Covers for the cages to keep them quiet.

GAS FOR THE CAR....Cell phone charger, and one in the car also, so you can charge it while driving.

CASH...hidden in your clothes, or in inside pockets.

Glucose tabs, even if you aren't diabetic, it will keep your blood sugar up till you can find some protein to keep you going.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:54 PM

The feeder bands have been gentle as it moves up the Florida coast. Good luck everyone! Stay safe.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:14 PM

As a disaster worker, NOAA is the site I check, then Hurricane Irene, then the chart for the Mariners 1-2-3 Rule.
check it out