Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Hurricane Sandy and Long Island >

Hurricane Sandy and Long Island

Hurricane Sandy and Long Island

Old 11-15-2012, 05:17 AM

I know how SewNSo feels because our area in NJ has been hard hit, luckly we didn't lose our home or possessions and want to help but we're in our upper 70's and don't have the energy to help clean out homes, shovel sand, etc. So far we've donated clothes and boxes of diapers and wipes to local distribution center set up by a local community group. So as a quilter I'm doing what quilters do best, making some quillts. I'll be donating the ones I make, twin size if possible, to a local church's Food Pantry that will be helping Sandy's victims as long as they are in need. Other members of my guild and a friends's guild will be sending me some quilts too. May in Jersey
Old 11-16-2012, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by sewNso View Post
roberta, say yes, and let the lady buy your husband a coat. i wouldn't want my 70 yr old husband getting cold.
i wish i knew what i could do to help. have not heard of any collections around jackson or lansing michigan.

I just said to my husband, 'what could one 65 yr old lady do to help?" i have been reading links, which generated from another link on this site. and it said that if you organize a 'truckload donation' etc. to be sure and cordinate with local volunteer organizations in the effected area. etc. another link mentioned charcoal, and grills, diapers, pet food. still putting a lot of thought into it. looking for ideas, for me to help. i see mormans are sending in tons of young people to just clean. they are the kids in the yellow vests if you see them on the news. --helping hands.
He is going to take a 1/2 day on Monday and run to Wal-Mart to get a coat. Gov't workers aren't allowed to accept gifts.

I would think warm clothes, blankets, etc. would be very welcomed by people in NY and NJ. The wonderful volunteers are amazing going in and tearing the "guts" out of houses so people can again rebuild. I saw a news clip last night where people were allowed to visit their property in Staten Island and in one house there was a large BOAT in the living room, just unreal what's happened.