Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I am at my wits end with this cat!!! >

I am at my wits end with this cat!!!

I am at my wits end with this cat!!!

Old 01-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Power Poster

Our Monty loves to jump on the table. Yes, it is not allowed in our house either, and he does it anyway. Yesterday, he just sat there staring me down - just waiting for me to make a move toward the table. Then he leisurely jumped down, laughing at me as he did.

Frankly, I gave up and wash the table down regularly.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Our Monty loves to jump on the table. Yes, it is not allowed in our house either, and he does it anyway. Yesterday, he just sat there staring me down - just waiting for me to make a move toward the table. Then he leisurely jumped down, laughing at me as he did.

Frankly, I gave up and wash the table down regularly.
http://rteest42.smugmug.com/Portfoli...03_7UuGH-S.jpg

This was the first day since we got Rory two weeks earlier that he even ventured out of the guest room. He went STRAIGHT for the DR table...
And, yes, they roll their eyes, eventually do as you say...while you are watching. And they laugh, that you think you've WON....
lol
Old 01-26-2010, 07:46 PM

They do not like the bubble wrap either and they do sell a spray that you use daily and it works also.

Peggy
Old 01-26-2010, 10:25 PM

Huh... the tape seems to be working, while it's there anyway. She has got onto the chairs a few times this evening and eyeing the table. I've let her be and not done anything. She checks out the tape on the table and then gets down.

I was worried at work late today because it suddenly occured to me that what if she gets tangled up in the tape while I'm not there? I hurried home to check on her and the tape was undisturbed except for a small area.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:23 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Fingers crossed that you've found the solution! After a while, I'm guessing she'll lose interest and you can take the tape away. :-D
Old 01-27-2010, 03:23 AM
Power Poster

Pam, She needs a playmate :-D :-D Just go out and get her another cat. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 01-27-2010, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow Dancer
Your cat is bored, and no different from a kid, attention even negative is still attention.

Cat's like to perch up high, get her her own perch where she can be up high and see out a window. As for the plants, get her some cat nip and toys with cat nip in them. :)
I was looking at cat platforms online and boy, are they expensive. I'll look around and may just make something.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:46 AM

Moth balls are toxic to animals. I wouldnt use these anywhere they might get to them. And I have a cat that loves citrus and melons, so you can't be 100% sure the cat wouldn't like to play with the moth balls.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:37 AM

As a foster home for sick/injured homeless cats of 13 years I might have a new idea for you. Most of my usual recommendations have already been mentioned (water spray, alum. foil, contact paper - sticky side up). . . but the one that hasn't been mentioned is cookie sheets. Place 3 ping/pong balls or golf balls several inches apart in a triangle formation on the table then place your cookie sheet on top. Place as many cookie sheets (cupcake pans and metal baking dishes) as you own along your kittys favorite landing strip. In a pinch, I have used empty yogurt/applesauce cups when balls could not be found. Sit back and enjoy the terrified look on your cats face as they try to "land" on their favorite table and go flying with noisy clambering pans instead.
The only downfall to this technique is that you might have a heart attack from the sound of flying cats/bakewear pans if you aren't aware it is about to happen AND your bakewear needs to be repositioned after every attempt for about 2-3 weeks (as this is long enough to break a habit). Any cat worth keeping would not learn his lesson the first time and needs a little consistancy/reinforcement to bring home the message. Best of luck.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:08 PM

LOL! That one is funny about the cookie sheets.

Last night she started jumping onto the kitchen counter (I think frustrated that she couldn't get onto the table) so I put tape all along the edges of the counters too.

I wonder what my son is going to say when he enters my house tonight if he finds out he needs to stay there for work.