Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I am at my wits end with this cat!!! >

I am at my wits end with this cat!!!

I am at my wits end with this cat!!!

Old 01-27-2010, 12:31 PM

I am a sap for animals - all kinds. I believe your cat is lonely and doing the one thing that gets the most attention from you. My suggestion is that you get her a companion animal, small dog will do just as well as another cat. But, if that isn't even in the realm of your thinking, spend some serious money and get her one of those carpeted cat beds that stands at least 42-50" high. Put this bed in front of a sunny window and you'll have a happy cat. Mine spends half her life in this bed and does not get on the counters. Of course, she also has the dog to spend time with if we aren't at home.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:25 PM

:cry: Please don't do that.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:58 PM

My Mom had a cat that loved climbing on counters and higher (top of frig. etc.). She found a spray that was to help train cats and dogs. It was citrus scented and you sprayed on paper towels (to put where you didn't want them to go) or at the cat/dog when they misbehaved. It did work, after a short time all she had to do was use the cats name and say "no" and the cat was down & gone. Won't work for my dog tho, she loves oranges and grapefruit!!!
Old 01-27-2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by azdesertrat
they don't like moth balls either,put some moth balls on the table in a dish and hopefully she will stop
LOL, moth balls doesn't stop my cat. She could care less!Yet if you just show her the water bottle she will go running. I think you will have to experiment a bit with your cat. Each cat has their own personality, what bothers one may not bother another.
I was told by our Vet when we got our first cat to put lemon juice in a water bottle. 1 part lemon juice to 2 parts water. Keep the bottle next to us at all times and everytime the cat did a behavior that we did not like we were spray her in the face with the solution and yell no! Try it, it works. We now have 3 cats and no behavior problems.
Animals do not know why they are being punished unless you catch them in the act. Throwing them out in the garage will not phase them, they will just go find a nice corner to curl up in and sleep. Moving chairs won't make a difference either, it is in their nature to jump to high places. I have a cat that never ceases to surprise me, she flies through the air!
Old 01-27-2010, 05:44 PM

Wishing you good success in training your cat! I train them to do some things and let the rest go. I have 4 inside cats and each has her own purrsonality! I love them all.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Angelmerritt
As a foster home for sick/injured homeless cats of 13 years I might have a new idea for you. Most of my usual recommendations have already been mentioned (water spray, alum. foil, contact paper - sticky side up). . . but the one that hasn't been mentioned is cookie sheets. Place 3 ping/pong balls or golf balls several inches apart in a triangle formation on the table then place your cookie sheet on top. Place as many cookie sheets (cupcake pans and metal baking dishes) as you own along your kittys favorite landing strip. In a pinch, I have used empty yogurt/applesauce cups when balls could not be found. Sit back and enjoy the terrified look on your cats face as they try to "land" on their favorite table and go flying with noisy clambering pans instead.
The only downfall to this technique is that you might have a heart attack from the sound of flying cats/bakewear pans if you aren't aware it is about to happen AND your bakewear needs to be repositioned after every attempt for about 2-3 weeks (as this is long enough to break a habit). Any cat worth keeping would not learn his lesson the first time and needs a little consistancy/reinforcement to bring home the message. Best of luck.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:59 PM
Banned

Cats shouldn't be on tables? How bizarre!
Old 01-28-2010, 06:04 AM

Have you tried putting amonia in the water