Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I am at my wits end with this cat!!! >

I am at my wits end with this cat!!!

I am at my wits end with this cat!!!

Old 01-26-2010, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

perhaps lay bubble wrap around the table top. without a table cloth on it though. i'd hate for kitty to pull one off! are plants on the table, they love to eat them. i have one (of my three) that i have trouble with. can't place a plant anywhere!
Old 01-26-2010, 09:18 AM

Absolutely nothing on the table except for placemats. She also won't leave plants alone, or PLANT. I only have one left and she almost destroyed that one too. It used to hang down several feet on the stand but she chewed up the vines, tore off the leaves. I've trimmed it and it's starting to grow new shoots and leaves.

The poor plant is now in the downstairs bathroom with the door shut and the cat will run and literally PUSH her way past me trying to get to it when I open the door.

She is one STUBBORN cat. I don't want her in the room that my long arm is in and when I go in there and shut the door she will do anything she can to get around me, either when I'm going in or out, to get into that room.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:31 AM

I have one of those and her name is Freckles. I keep a squirt bottle within reach and give her a couple of blasts. It works. The kind of spray bottle is a hand pump and turn the nozzel so that it's a stream. It will go about 10'. :thumbup:
Old 01-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

We have a spray bottle with vinegar in it.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:50 AM

Pitsburg Pam, I got a good laugh out of your cat & the plants. Buy her some catnip and put it in a pot and let her have at it.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:12 AM

I have a spray bottle of water that can reach the table from the family room and I use it every time. The thing is, she will get off the table and onto the seat of the chair farthest away from me so that the water doesn't reach her (blocked by the table) and WON'T get down until I get up and go over there. Then she will jump down. Maybe I should put vinegar in it and see if that helps.

Would it hurt the wood table and chairs and/or the ultra-suede upholstery on the chairs?
Old 01-26-2010, 12:08 PM

I have used bubble wrap on top of furniture to keep my cat off. She doesn't like the way it sounds - it scares her. That might also help keep her off.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-35087-1.htm
Definitely don't ask advice of Jingleberry here....lol...If I count right, thats THREE cats on her kitchen counter!!

Just playing with ya, Jingle!
My cats do not get on my kitchen counter, the counter top the cats are on is in my sewing room, I have kitchen counters in there also. I keep their food and water at one end of it.

Thanks for noticing. :hunf: :hunf: :hunf:
Old 01-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen
Originally Posted by vjengels
I agree with everyone else... poor kitty won't connect the punishment; Cats love to be up high, do you have a cat tree, ledge, something she can climb up on? even a old blanket stapled to a 2x4 leaned on something she can climb on might fix it pretty easliy. use something'tacky' to cover your table, that'l stop that, they hate 'sticky'
This. Cats LOVE high things. Whatever strikes them as highest in any room seems to win. (back of couch over couch any day, unless you are sitting there and there is a lap???)

Bleach and any kind of cleaner would not be good to use - use only plain water.
Is there a window there? Maybe she wants to look out of it?

Also, she may just give it up on her own. I have one cat who rotates locations every two-three weeks. And no matter how much I try, for that time, that's her spot.

One of the others sits on the table to look out the window. He knows he shouldn't be there because he sees me come and he jumps down. But the birds at the window are more persuasive than my reprimands. During the day, I just open the window blind and let him watch. A spray bottle of clorox hard surface cleaner and a sponge, and all is good....
Old 01-26-2010, 01:00 PM

I have 3 cats also. But - I have 2 small dogs - which keep the cats behaving!! YOu know how we have all these great perople here when trying to find out something about quilting (or anything for that matter)? Check out Catster I think it is www.catster.com They are the experts on cats. Someone there is bound to have somthing that works! :)