Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't collect anything..........

Blog Entries

I don't collect anything..........

I love thrift stores and old stuff..... I bought a couple yard sticks to jazz up the edges of some shelves. Since I didn't have as many as I needed I stuck them in a corner to wait for enough to do the shelves. When I bought more I put them in another corner and so on. Then we moved.... DH asked me what I was going to do with the yard stick collection... I have a yard stick collection??? He showed me the collection. oops... SSOOOO I hung them on the wall. Then people started bringing old yard sticks and rulers and things that measure to add to my collection...... NOW I have a collection.
    Name:  rulers 001.JPG
Views: 1983
Size:  129.4 KB

The amazing thing was I also found out I have a scissors collection. I had some in the kitchen junk drawer, some in one end of the sewing room, some in the other end, some in the bench, some in a box, some in one pile, some in the sewing table, some here and some there and oh dear suddenly another collection. So I hung most of them in the windows.

Oh and then there are sewing machines... I haven't figured out a way to hang them on the wall effectively. I did think about hanging them up like deer heads or something but I'm not sure how it would work. Oh and fabric collects around here...

Nope I don't collect anything. Stuff just collects.

My sister has a bell collection... I think it started the same way.

What has collected around you???
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Blog Entries
    How fun!! You can open a museum soon and earn money to buy more!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    I collect sand from all over the world. sometimes pebbles. I got a new one recently.
    A member from the board brought me back a stone from Draculas castle in Romania.
    that one is front and center. I need some from the great wall of China, Stonehenge,
    the Colosium, and the Pyramids.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Power Poster
    I collect fabric. I saw a program I think of Georgia Bonesteel(sp) visiting a woman that had thousands of yard sticks so you have a ways to go.

Measureing things and scissors are near the top of my most favorite things. It has to be "most favorite" because there are so many favorites. From looking around, it appears that I collect cat hair and cobwebs, what my step-mother called fizzle dust, hard to believe that one indoor/outdoor cat can shed that much. I have no idea how all those sewing machines got crammed in here. Oh, and sewing patterns, and fabric, and books, and .... I love thrift stores, better than a fully stocked fabric store.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I seem to collect papers.....there are hundreds lying on every surface, it feels like......the desk, the floor, the tv table, the chairside table, by my bed. Why can't I seem to get them all put away or tossed or shredded, or otherwise OUT OF MY HOUSE!!!?!!

Guess I *could* stop going to the mail box, cancel all subscriptions to every magazine, and turn the printer over to the kids.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Love the way you display your "measuring things".

Sewing Machines are my "habit" don't know why guess I have 10+ now.
    Quilting Rulers more than I will ever use (hey they were a good price at yard sales).
    Fabric (I won't live long enough to use it all)
    Mini Clocks......must have 40+....had to quit ran out of room to display them.
    Cookie jars.....had to quit them to as they are to big to collect.
    Mini perfume bottles....find these at yard sales they are so neat. (at least they are mini's)
    Scissors.........don't know why.....have way to many some antiques....maybe 20+ pairs
    Tea cups & saucers......love the really pretty one's....also some tea pots.....can't forget the mini sets.
    Oh Yea can't forget the Dolls and Boyd's Bears!!

My husband is as bad with his collections:
    He has over 200 Kachina Dolls and South West Items.
    He has lots of Clocks......(honestly I don't think either one of us had a clock growing up)
    He collects fishing stuff...rods/reels and lures.
    He collects knives in every shape and size.
    and He collects coins.

I think he has out collected me...LOL

Our kids have quit giving us gifts as they say we have to "much stuff"...I disagree. They say we hoarders.....Nope NOT so. My house is Clean........the collections get dusted at least 2 times a year....HA!!

So "We are Not Hoarders....We Are Collectors"!!!!

We Love people to come see us so:

"If you come to see us...come anytime......If you come to see our house make an appointment" (can't hide the collections but can make a path for you to walk through)!!

PS: I am sure I have left out a collection or two!!
    Last edited by Jazzmyn; 12-26-2014 at 02:41 PM.
    Got-to Love those Dachshunds!!!!!

Quilters STITCH Together!!

Blog Entries
    i like your collection
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I have several collections.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I have several collections.

My most PRIZED collection is my amber glass which started when
    I was 16 years old with a pair of OLD oil lamps. But sadly no room
    to display it all.

My next big collection is my coffee mugs, to which again no room
    for setting them out for display, but that collection is now at 107+
    mugs and only 6 states left to get to have them all.

My next collection which is my most used is my ink pens, and highlighters
    I LOVE to "color" code lists that I write and use a different ink color for the
    task.

That is all I have that is NOT sewing/quilting related.

Within my sewing/quilting collections there are the follow:

pincushions
    sewing/quilting themed fabrics
    fabric in general
    scissors
    rulers
    and just about most other gadgets.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

I'm kinda like Jan....I think I just collect papers but why can't I ever find that tax notice I just had in my hand a minute ago? Yep, things are sorta out of hand. Oh, I also collect sewing machines, fabric, thread (cones of it), scissors, books and magazines..., and did I mention writing instruments? I have about 3,000 assorted fountain pens, roller balls, ballpoints, pencils....modern and vintage...and I collect crystal as well. Every time I say something about liking something, I can see my kids looking at one another going, "here she goes again..."! Oh well, it's all good and it's fun, too!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Blog Entries
    I collect memories. My family says I remember too much. I disagree. But I think they are talking about all the naughty things they did when they were little. hahaha.

It's funny how you get started on something like that. I had a collection of camels. (connected with a singer who had a song called Ahab the Arab). Now I collect cup plates.

The actor, Tom Hanks, collects typewriters. (wonder how much he'd give me for my father's old Remington)
    Last edited by Boston1954; 12-26-2014 at 05:25 PM.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I didn't mean for it to happen but it seems like I am collecting vintage singers. I will be posting about my latest unintentional acquisition pretty soon. I have given up my dining room for them.
    Alyce

Senior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar
    I started collecting those old Red Rose Tea ornaments that were in tea boxes in the 70's because I found 2 of them in a thrift store and it reminded me of when I was little. 140+ different ones and hundreds of doubles and triples later..........

I loved Red Rose Tea - it was the only tea I would drink growing up in the Seattle area. When we moved to San Diego in 1973 my mom would send me a box from time to time. And the little porcelain statues were a great bonus. My youngest daughter found my collection when she was ten while visiting my parents and thought they were wonderful. So she started going to thrift stores looking for them. We still have them somewhere in the house.

Unfortunately I drink more coffee than tea these days so no more little figurines.

I do collect stamps and have a nice collection. And if you came into my sewing room you would think I collect old mystery movies and tv shows because I have a wall full of DVD's.
    Last edited by quiltingcandy; 12-26-2014 at 05:59 PM.

I collect clocks, wooden Santas, and "Old Fitzgerald" items....Mostly the liquor bottles, but I have glasses and print ads too! Clocks are displayed through out the house, Santa only at Christmas, and Old Fitz is in our computer room. I might have to start looking at vintage yard sticks!!

I collect frogs, but have gotten rid of tons of them. I hate clutter, and hate dusting worse!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

OMG......thanks for the giggles this morning.....AND I now know I am not alone in my "how did this start!" collections.....thought I was beginning to become a crazy old lady hoarder.......

My newest weakness seems to be lovely crystal serving pieces/stemmed glassware...from thrift stores, of course....but I haven't "formally" entertained in years.....but I love to serve myself a glass of wine and a tuna salad on fine crystal! Hmm, maybe the crazy old lady part is true! Shhhhhh!

Blog Entries
    We have yardsticks, too! They are from all the places we've lived, but ours are stuck in an umbrella stand, not displayed nicely like yours. Way to go!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I don't really "collect" anything, but I'm like Jan and have way too much paper. Whenever I'm going to have the gang (my kids and grands) over, I need to straighten up. So I go through these piles and can't throw much away. They are all such good articles, I just want someone else to read them. My "most important" pile is on my computer desk, and don't you dare touch that.

So yesterday I came home with four sewing machines in my car. I must be nuts. These have all been given to me. I already have 5 more at my house, and a few more at kids' houses. These four are all vintage machines: one is a treadle which I want to use, one will be donated to the sewing machine project, and one is a "boat anchor". The boat anchor I want to take apart and see if I can put it back together again. It is froze now, and has no bobbin case. Yes, I think I'm crazy.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Me too!!

I do collect yardsticks! They have a lot of advertising on. Many places are gone now, but I remember most of them. I like to try to find ones with sewing products advertised, even if they are not local. BUT!! I have my 'collection' in a corner or two! I like the way you have yours displayed! Thanks for the idea!

dd
    I agree with Jazzmyn. I have always said if you're coming to see me, come on over. If you're coming to see my house give me 2 weeks notice then cancel before you come over. I was collecting angels and gingerbread men but I've told everyone I stopped. They still give them to me. Now all I collect is dust. And fabric. And extra pounds everyone else seems to be shedding. And cat fur. And... oh never mind.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Very nice collection. I have piggys I collect and have for years all small but they still need space and to be dusted (twice a year if I am lucky and think of it), I have 5 sewing machines, material, yarn collections. Hmmm.. Paper collections (and no I am NOT turning my printer over to my kids !LOL). Hmmm wonder what I could collect for the outside ? oh the visions .... LOL Come on Spring yard sales !! LOL
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

I collect old toys.
    When I was high school age and in my 20's, there used to be an 'old toy that my Dad and I would go to, so I guess that got me started. He has since died, but I still have the toys and still buy now and then.
    I have toys from when I was young, and my husband (we're nearing 60), some toys from when his Dad was a kid and just stuff I picked up here and there. Oh, a few from when my kids were little too.

Prized possession? It's not a 'toy' but we have the child sized roll top desk and chair that my husband's Dad used. Plus his wire rimmed glasses and case inside!

I was talking to my sister a few months ago, and we each have our Barbies from 1962, 63?. We didn't know it until that time, but neither of us have heads on our Barbies?
    Brothers!
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast