I got chosen..

Old 02-21-2011, 06:43 AM

That's one good thing about being in your 70's,

we're excused !!!!!!

been there, done that, and now it's time to relax !!!!!!!
Old 02-21-2011, 06:45 AM

I never get jury duty. During Voir dire I am always asked what my carrier is and when I tell them I am a retired homicide detective they dismiss me.

Rick
Old 02-21-2011, 07:15 AM

The last time I was called was a drunk driving fatality, As a Trauma RN, I was excused quickly. lol
Old 02-21-2011, 07:17 AM

We do this in the UK, too. I have never been called and soon will approach the age where they don't call you. I could have been interesting, but I suppose you don't miss what you haven't been called to do.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:17 AM

I was summoned for the first time ever last summer. I was more than confident I would not be seated. Needless to say the joke was on me when I was seated on a first degree murder trial. Believe it or not, it was an enlightening and educational experience for a legal novice such as myself. My fellow jurors were diverse and an outstanding group with which to serve. If every defendant gets the measure of deliberation we gave to ours, we truly have a just system.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:35 AM

I always wanted to be "chosen", but it never happened until I was 65 years old. After going through the jury choosing process I was so relieved that I didn't get picked. Wow! What a big responsibility!!! I guess I just never thought it through before that.
Hope it goes well for you.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:36 AM

March will be my 3rd time. 2 local, 1 federal. First time missed being picked by 1. Second, Federal, was picked Learned a lot. Never trust anyone wanting to buy your property out of the blue, or a Lawyers. Third time was called in January and I asked for a later date as I volunteer to do Free taxes with AARP/Vita. After 2 weeks of calling, they OKed the change to end of March. If you are fortunate enough to be given the chance to serve on a jury, take it, you will learn a lot about people and the system. Glad to be a part of the American judicial system.
Kathy
Old 02-21-2011, 07:36 AM

I have been called for jury duty 2 times in my lifetime and served on 4 juries. I loved every minute of it. I was sure my mind would wonder, but was so interesting, hard not to pay attention.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by NancyG
I always feel that it is my civic duty to serve on jury duty....but one year I got called 3 times....only had to serve once...but that was a bit much. I thought, can't they spread it around a little bit?
I know here in NY if you have been called for jury duty you are exempt for several years. It used to be two. The last time I was called, it now is five years. If this ever happens to you again, check it out.

I got called once for a murder trial that lasted 6 weeks. Boy did it mess up my job. However, I worked for the county and they allow people to serve. However, there was no one to do my job while I was gone. The trial would be conducted 4 days a week and I had one day at work to try and catch up.

However, it is something that must be done if you want to be a member of an organized society
Old 02-21-2011, 08:14 AM

I use to get called, but do not anymore. Use to get a written report from my doctor that I cannot serve because I am deaf. I must be on the no call list now.