I got chosen..

Old 02-21-2011, 03:11 PM

That's funny because I got one about a month ago also. First time here in NY. I would love to do it but can't because I am the caregiver for 3 people.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:09 PM

I was chosen for the pool last summer. Soooo boring - never got a trial - I'm assuming because we have a friend who is a police officer, and I said I would be inclined to believe a police officer.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:10 PM

Lucky you.....my hubby and I get our "summons letter" every other year without fail. I have to report in May. It was supposed to be this month but I had to postpone it until after tax season. I know some people who never get a "summons letter". Not sure why we get one so often......grrrr
Old 02-21-2011, 07:11 PM

Any place I have lived all over the western USA if you are a registered voter you are eligible to be called for jury duty, I got called twice a few years ago but did not get chosen , Thank God for that as it is 60 miles one way to Kingman Az, But now that I am 75 I do not have to serve if I don't want to, :roll:
Old 02-21-2011, 07:31 PM

We were also informed that they will go to the DMV drivers's licenses besides voters who are registered. This was told to us at one of our jury briefings because several people got two notices to serve within a week of each other.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:12 PM

Called once over 20 years ago, not picked. At the rate our county is growing, I'll probably not get called again. Mixed emotions - it's a good, civic thing to do, interesting, but can be tedious for an old soul to sit through, and perhaps be the one vote which tips that scale of justice.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:19 PM

I got my first summons for duty, 6 weeks after I had a brain injury. It was an awful experience.The judge refused to let me be excused. I still feel guilt for being on that jury. Second time was very educational, and pleasant.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:46 AM

The trial I was on was "a felon had a gun". This guy was suppose to be shoting rats in his garage. His parole officer came to do a home inspection and found the holster on the coat rack. His whole defence was he was a really nice guy. His only witness was his neighbor stating he was a good guy. He was a felon and he had a gun! After about 10 minutes of deliberation we decided he was guilty. I think this was his 3rd strike. I'm in California with the 3 strikes law.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:22 PM

The best way to get kicked off a jury is to be married to a minister. The last time I was called, the first group that were "dumped" had the only two ministers' wives in it. We discussed it on the way out, that it was a sad day when they didn't want a minister's wife on a jury. I think I was put on some list since that was the last time I was called and that was over 7 years ago. I used to be called every year or so. Not any more.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:11 PM

In my 50 years of living in OK, I've only ever been called up 2 times, about 2 or 3 years apart. That was back in the late 70's and maybe in 1980 the second time, but not ever again. I was questioned for one jury, but excused for an unexplained reason. Right now, I'm passed that magic 7..0 mark. My husband was only ever called up twice while we were married and he served on juries both times. The second time, he had to turn his "pay" over to Uncle Sam because he was a Civil Service employee and "can't be paid by 2 government entities." He was considered a double dipper when he went to draw his Social Security, although he had earned all his 40 quarters of eligibility after his Army service and before he became a Civil Servant.