Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I have to backtrack and also apologize :? >

I have to backtrack and also apologize :?

I have to backtrack and also apologize :?

Old 08-25-2011, 03:51 AM

The best thing I have found is to use Basic H. It was originally made over 50 years ago as a cleaning agent and is still around today. Although it wasn't made to kill ants, I have found that it kills them instantly! I've been told that it does that by penetrating their exoskeletons and drowning them.

No running to another nest, or worries that it won't kill the Queen! In fact, I have timed it... only about 5 seconds after it hits them and their dead!

It is 100% nontoxic so it won't hurt to be sprayed around the nests, near your cattle or even near water. You just mix 1/4 teaspoon of it in 16 oz of water so it is very cheap. A 16 oz bottle of Basic H makes about 5,000 bottles of it so you will always have it handy! I always keep a bottle ready. Its literally the best thing I have ever found and will never use anything else!

Here's the website where you can order and learn more about it: www.help-me-get-rid-of-ants.com.

Basic H product guide
[ATTACH=CONFIG]246472[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Attachment-246466.pdf (162.4 KB, 118 views)
Old 08-25-2011, 04:01 AM

We were loaded with those pesky tiny DAs this year and had the exterminator come out. We aren't the only ones - it seems like everyone I talked to, had them, too.
Heard that Cream of Wheat and Borax will help get rid of them - they eat one piece, it swells up (the ant), and it explodes or something. I hate those little things.
Dodee
Old 08-25-2011, 04:02 AM

try salt
Old 08-25-2011, 04:05 AM

Same here on the coast! And my kids in VT and TX too . In fact they have called in exterminators. I just turn the dishwasher on! And they are gone for a while! I have gone through my second little bottle of Terra (Terro?) Ants gotta live too!
Old 08-25-2011, 04:24 AM

I had the opposite issue, we here in the spring had more rain when we cared or needed to have. So the ants came in looking for a safe haven. (we had never had ants before this) I did some reading, talking to people and etc..We got the torro ant traps for the house (those were safe to put under things where our animals can not reach) then we used baby powder. In three days..we were 95% ant free. The end of the week...not an ant to be found. We had the ants in 3 rooms of the house, kitchen, livingroom and foyer (the room they entered). Sprinkle baby power around your entire outside of your house.. all around it..just a thin line of it. Ours were coming in the front door area...we sprinkled baby power down on the deck outside..no more ants coming in the house.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

I had some in my kitchen window: they were eating a cough drop! One day noticed where they seemed to be coming in. I saw a marching line! So I got out the cinnamon and dropped a big blob right there and they disappeared!!!
Old 08-25-2011, 05:43 AM

You took drastic measures for a drastic situation - I hope it all works.. I had problems like that in California when I lived there; every day - no matter what I did - never a scrap of food anywhere for them to feast on - took garbage out daily - still had problems and one day GONE - like they'd never been there; I used panel magic on my walls, chlorox on my floors and cupboards, appliances, and never left a dish around - no snacks did I have during this time - and it seemed so all for naught - so I hope it worked for you!
Old 08-25-2011, 05:49 AM

i've had ants this year too-- cant figure where they are coming in -- never seen them quite like this -- usually they make a procession to where ever they are going... but this time there are just random ants on my kitchen counters. strange happenings....
Old 08-25-2011, 06:15 AM

I missed your first post, Jan, and am glad I found this thread! Your post was really funny and true to life. Sorry to hear about the ants - pesky little buggers.

When we visited my dad's farm last month, my husband about flipped out with all the ants that were invading the kitchen. It really grossed him out. I told him, the house always had ants. Can't leave a drip or crumb around OR an army of ants will come marching in!!! The upside is that my husband has been diligently attacking any ant that comes near our house.

Good luck with getting rid of them.

♫ The ants go marching two by two
♫ Pooh paw, pooh paw......
Old 08-25-2011, 06:19 AM

We have lots of palm trees here in south florida... and with that comes lots of HUGE palmetto bugs (look like HUGE roaches)... yuck! yuck! yuck! I feel your pain!