Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I have to backtrack and also apologize :? >

I have to backtrack and also apologize :?

I have to backtrack and also apologize :?

Old 08-25-2011, 01:31 PM

Baby Powder works wonders. Just sprinkle it on and rub it around....no need to make a huge mess; a little goes a log way. We used pesticides to kill them but the baby powder repelled them and they haven't come back. BUT......don't get the cornstarch kind; get the talc!!!!!! Cornstarch, even with scent added, attracts ants!!!!
Old 08-25-2011, 01:55 PM

Jan, you've given me a good laugh, thank you! I am sorry for your trouble though as I know they can be a huge annoyance to say the very least. Good luck with eradicating those pesky critters.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:00 PM

place cornmeal where they can get to it. They eat it but can't digest it and it kills them.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:05 PM

Wow! Sounds like you are having a battle with the ants!! But, I think you are gonna win with your superior warfare tactics!
If ya do, do ya think they will work on the blasted fruit flies that have been amassing in numbers in my house? They were even trying to make away with my toothbrush the other day! (it's in the bathroom)...what's with that any way???
Old 08-25-2011, 02:10 PM

I have tried various things. Someone even told me that there is a spray that has wintergreen or something like that. I haven't tried the spray but would like to because it is natural.
Nothing I have tried for ants - yes, my house gets invaded every once in a while - has worked except TERRO. I get the ready-filled bait containers. The ants love it and take it back to their ant hill. It takes a day or so but then I don't see any ants for quite a while.
It is my understanding, though, that TERRO is very, very poisonous so don't put it where kids or furbabies could get into it.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:28 PM

have you tried spreading bay leaves around? they work really well for me.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:43 PM

I haven't had ants-I have spiders. A lot of them! So, I do feel your pain. The Raid in the green can is indeed great-it kills on contact, and provides a barrier. I now live in an apartment on the bottom (terrace) level, and I spray almost everyday. Good luck..you will need it.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:09 PM

I have found that sprinkling cinnamon on counter tops keeps them away from there at least. I try to sprinkle it like in a barrier shape, with a nice little barrier all around the edge of the counter...they don't seem to want to crawl over or through it.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by nursie76
Wow! Sounds like you are having a battle with the ants!! But, I think you are gonna win with your superior warfare tactics!
If ya do, do ya think they will work on the blasted fruit flies that have been amassing in numbers in my house? They were even trying to make away with my toothbrush the other day! (it's in the bathroom)...what's with that any way???
so funny! you could go around the house swinging a fish net..looking like a fairy with her wand..to catch them little fruit flies! ;)

my son just got home from his deployment..and he said the bugs were so big...they had collars! :XD: :XD: :shock:

and he also stated he did not see one dog! which really made him leery of the bugs! he is such a hoot!
Old 08-25-2011, 06:50 PM

TERRO ant killer. I keep this in my kitchen cabinet and the first sign I see of the ants I get it out. It is a clear thick liquid. Put a couple drops on a piece of cardboard where you see the ants and in one day most will be gone. Two days and you won't see any. Don't kill the ants. Let them eat the Torro and they will go back and die on their own. Great stuff!! I got it at Lowe's or you can find it at any nursery. Good luck.