Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I have a little problem........ >

I have a little problem........

I have a little problem........

Old 05-12-2011, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
I used to have that problem but then my best friend died. Yep, she won the prize for "the most fabric when she dies". I wised up real quick. It's my fabric and if I want to fussy cut a piece out of middle of yardage, I do it. My fabric stash is not going to be someone else's goldmine. I want the joy and pleasure of using it NOW!
So sorry to hear about your friend.:( I don't want my fabric to be someone else's goldmine either. I was so hesitant to cut my collection of 1930's but now I am glad I did. I get to enjoy them in the quilt I am making.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:39 PM

I used to have that problem but then my best friend died. Yep, she won the prize for "the most fabric when she dies". I wised up real quick. It's my fabric and if I want to fussy cut a piece out of middle of yardage, I do it. My fabric stash is not going to be someone else's goldmine. I want the joy and pleasure of using it NOW!
I lost my best friend a few years ago, too, so sorry to hear about your loss. She was always giving fabric away- she taught me how transitory it all is...

But- I have some Liberty of London fabric that I have not been able to cut into, LOL!
Old 05-12-2011, 07:42 PM

I get into the throught process of not wanting to "waste" the fabric. If I cut into it, I won't be able to fully use it, It won't look as good as it would in another project. Or I won't have enought left over to do a good project, so it is better not to waste it at all and leave it be. Eventually I will find a project that is just right for it.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
I fussy cut 16 squares out a $13 a yard batik last night. The remainder looks like a big varmit got it. It didn't bother me, but the fact that misread the pattern and cut them an inch too big and had to cut them down did. Use? :thumbup: Waste? :thumbdown:
What do you do with the leftovers? Us scrappy lovers don't waste a thing;)
Rae
Old 05-12-2011, 07:52 PM

It's harder for me to cut a fat quarter than it is to cut a big piece.

I just bought 80 of Demshine's FQ and have already matched several up to use in the Boomerang 5.0 East swap sooooo I'm going to have to grin and slice'm.

However...I do have some fabric that I know is older than any of my marriages have lasted, lol.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:11 PM

There's quite a bit left. Lots of 2 1/2" strips and a piece at least 22" by a yard. It just looks funny. Don't worry, I really like this one and will use every inch.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:17 PM
Power Poster

Do you think maybe it's b/c you just organized so nicely???
I'd love to see a pic, but then again, maybe not b/c my room is a wreck LOL :D:D
Old 05-12-2011, 09:16 PM

I agree with that so much. It's advice I have a hard time making myself follow. I had this problem in scrapbooking too. Saving the prettiest because I didn't want to use it. I now follow the motto - eat your desert first! I use what I got. If I want to chop a great piece of fabric up for a small project that is quite alright. Better that then to have it stored in my sewing room for ten years!
Old 05-12-2011, 09:22 PM

had the same problem until I wanted to make a small wall hanging for my kitchen and really couldn't afford to buy new fabric and thought - "YOU DON'T NEED TO" look at all your fabric so I started cutting - have been using my stash ever since - well, apart from buying in those 'special' pieces!!!
Old 05-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Power Poster

LOL I am of no help but I have this problem with some fabrics.