Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I have a little problem........ >

I have a little problem........

I have a little problem........

Old 05-12-2011, 09:25 PM

Maybe I should try the organize thing and see what happens.
I'm really not sure what I'd do. Naaaaa. I'll keep cutting in fear of this problem :XD:
Old 05-12-2011, 09:32 PM

Unfold it, feel it, look at it for a while. Then find a pattern that will use bigger pieces in the pattern, so you can still 'see' it. That's what I try to do. I don't generally use patterns with little tiny pieces.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:03 PM

Since I have no specific organizational rules, nothing is out of place, and it is a happy reminder when I find something in my stash that I forgot that I had.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:14 PM

Some fabric is prettier than others or just has a little something that makes me hesitant to cut it. I usually get over it once I plan a project, however I have one batik jelly roll that is soooooo beautiful, all the colors rolled together so nice, it's been two yes and I just haven't picked the right project yet, someday.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:34 PM

Like you, I have just redone my sewing room...and it is wonderful....I spent last weekend folding all my fabric into 5 inch squares (thats what fitted the cupboards) and putting larger pieces on mini bolts and it all looks amazing....so neat. But unlike you...I can't wait to start using it, fabric looks lovely in a cupboard but it looks even lovlier in a quilt......and this weekend is a free weekend...no commitments, so me and my fabric have a date...YEAH !
Old 05-12-2011, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
I used to have that problem but then my best friend died. Yep, she won the prize for "the most fabric when she dies". I wised up real quick. It's my fabric and if I want to fussy cut a piece out of middle of yardage, I do it. My fabric stash is not going to be someone else's goldmine. I want the joy and pleasure of using it NOW!
You are so right. I am going to remember this when I hesitate to use a favorite fabric.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by JEM65
I am totally serious about this next statement. I am having trouble cutting up fabric from my stash. I just redid my sewing room and wrapped close to 300 yards of fabric onto comic boards. They are all lined up on a tall white bookcase - looking like a beautiful fabric rainbow. So now I am trying to start a new project and I find my self unwilling to cut up my pretty fabric! I am very willing to go buy more but I really don't want to cut up my stash fabric. Does anyone else out there have this propblem. I am slightly mystified by this as I didn't have this problem until recently. What is going on?.................
I feel the same way...I look at the fabric and just can not bring myself to cut it..I have lots of ideas on what can be done with them, but just can not cut the fabric :-(
Old 05-13-2011, 02:49 AM

Oh, gee..... Mine is lined up on my shelves too! :lol: Isn't fabric for decorating? I mean, it just looks so pretty sitting there.... :wink:
Old 05-13-2011, 02:52 AM

Oh yes, when it's all pretty, in order, standing on those boards. Take the plunge. It does get easier, then it gets a little sloppy, then you'll love cutting & quilting again.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:16 AM

Linda of the West, I too have Liberty that will never be cut...lol. I have 2 gorgeous pieces that I purchased for my OBW months ago, after hours with the mirrors they are lovingly folded and back on the shelf. I seem to have the most trouble cutting the beautiful oriental fabrics I adore. Other than that, use it or lose it is my motto.