I need to VENT!

Old 02-21-2010, 05:47 AM

And to think I was upset over a bill from one of my doctors office (he changed practices) for $25.00 for transfering my files and an additional $10.00 for a new prescription between appointments.

Some Doctors are just leaches, others are wonderful! It took me almost 40 years to find a great family physician. It also caused me to lose my central vision due to a stroke because of a misdiagnosis (for 6 months) from my previous family physician's Physician's Assistant. Only after being hospitalized for 5 blood clots including in my lungs and having a stroke, did I find decent Doctors. Unfortunately, they are too rare in this day and age.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

A lot of my family are in the medical field. The medical profession is leaning toward keeping the healthy well, not healing the unhealthy. If you are healthy do what you can to stay that way. Good diet, exercise, check ups. Be sure your kids eat healthy and get plenty of exercise. I think in the years to come, if the powers that be don't change, a person not healthy will not have many options, if a pill won't cure them.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Margie
This is not the exact article I read but it is similar in describing what is happening.

[/url] Click here: Blue Cross dropping concierge doctors | On Call with Stacey Singer
Since Margie's link doesn't work, I thought I'd repost it:

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/on-ca...ierge-doctors/

While searching for it, I also found this article, Marin 'concierge' doctors drop patients who don't pay retainer:
http://www.marinij.com/ci_5502305?source=rss

At least when a lawyer or a detective charges a retainer, the cost is applied towards the fee, right?
Old 02-21-2010, 08:52 AM

This is exactly what my father's doctor did. He is now also charging $1500 a year to be a part of his practice and claims he will be able to give his patients more service. My Dad didn't like it at all and has changed doctors. This is here in California, I am disappointed to hear that apparently other doctors are using this scam as well.......
Old 02-21-2010, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
A lot of my family are in the medical field. The medical profession is leaning toward keeping the healthy well, not healing the unhealthy. If you are healthy do what you can to stay that way. Good diet, exercise, check ups. Be sure your kids eat healthy and get plenty of exercise. I think in the years to come, if the powers that be don't change, a person not healthy will not have many options, if a pill won't cure them.
Well, I am retired RN and attempting to stay well is a great idea. The problem is with all the pollution, additives, things they put into our meat and poultry, that is easier said than done. Having said that, there are many who dont even start out that way, or who have birth defects, mental illness, are injured etc, and it is disgusting to think that this is the way the medical field is going. So I agree, that we all need to try and keep as healthy as possible and use our power at the poles to exact change.

Margie
Old 02-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

My DD told me that many elderly patients children are being counselled to not feel guilt for not consenting for the elderly parent to have an operation even though it could improve their daily life but not prolong their life. DD said it was some hospitals policy now days.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:03 PM

I've heard of the doctors now charging for their VIP patients, AND I was shocked to read in an article (that I can't seem to find or I'd post it) that some doctors are going so far as to have 2 different doors for patients to enter. One for VIPs who paid an annual fee and one door for the "rest of us." Their waiting rooms are separate and they are treated differently. One side sees the doctor for an extended appointment, the other sees the physician assistant and gets the bums rush. I'm blessed to have a great doctor who would probably see a real ethical issue here.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:07 PM

oh oh I finally found something. This is on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concierge_medicine
Old 02-21-2010, 08:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by 2wheelwoman
I've heard of the doctors now charging for their VIP patients, AND I was shocked to read in an article (that I can't seem to find or I'd post it) that some doctors are going so far as to have 2 different doors for patients to enter. One for VIPs who paid an annual fee and one door for the "rest of us." Their waiting rooms are separate and they are treated differently. One side sees the doctor for an extended appointment, the other sees the physician assistant and gets the bums rush. I'm blessed to have a great doctor who would probably see a real ethical issue here.
I would feel angry with the doctor no matter which waiting room I was in.:evil:
Old 02-22-2010, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by 2wheelwoman
One side sees the doctor for an extended appointment, the other sees the physician assistant and gets the bums rush.
About the separate doors and waiting rooms, no way would I see a doctor who treated me as second class.

And then there's the whole physician assistant/nurse practitioner thing! Even regular doctors charge the same visit fee (and I must pay the same co-pay) for seeing an assistant as for seeing the doctor. No, I make it clear that I'm there to see a doctor. Now, if they lowered the co-pay and fees for seeing an assistant and I was only there for a weigh in or routine blood test, that might be okay. But not when I want an exam or a diagnosis.