I Never Drink Diet Sodas

Old 05-23-2010, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

My son drank Mt Dew as a child as we were all popaholics and just last year he had to have all his teeth removed and got dentures at the age of 32. The dentist told him it was all the caffeine he drank growing up that contributed to the problem. MT Dew has the highest amt of caffeine of pops. EXCept for the new market of caffeine loaded drinks of course. Our family doctor says the same thing. He hates to see anyone drink MT Dew.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:16 AM

I'm not a huge soda drinker, but it seems like there are not that many affordable options. If you look at most "fruit drinks", they are mainly corn syrup, too. Real fruit juice is too pricey for regular drinking.

I keep a gallon jar of sun tea, but would love suggestions for other tasty things to drink.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

When you are on the road and stop at a convenience store there is not alot of choose from for a diabetic. I don't like bottled water. It tastes like chemicals to me. I don't like the teas they sell because I don't like lemon and the diet ones always have lemon in them. I can't drink juice as it spikes your blood sugar too high too quick. So if I am avoiding pop which I try to limit then I choose milk.
But you can't drink too much milk either as it can add on the pounds. So what do you do??? My mom thinks ahead and takes water or coffee with her but I don't like to think that far ahead!!! LOL On yeah and I tried the fruit flavored waters and don't care for them much. I'm hard to please - what can I say?? LOL
Old 05-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by amma
Yes, we do pay as we age for what we have consumed over the years...
It seems like there are some times that I just "have to have a pop" like the few times a year I have pizza or in the afternoon on a 90+ degree day :roll: I have found the carbonated waters flavored with fruit juice to be a good substitute, I wish restaurants/fast food places carried it. I will try making my own this summer...I have a juicer I may as well put it to good use :wink:
My big downfall is coffee...although I have switched to decaf LOL
Hey everybody- I haven't read any definitive research that says coffee isn't good for you- on the contrary to be honest! A little caffeine won't hurt you at all. I agree with Maryse about cream and sugar. I used to use a lot of sugar and weaned myself to none. But I still like a splash of milk in it. I can't drink decaf though- I will do half and half but not straight decaf. Just can't stand the taste of it! :D I love strong coffee but I have to watch it or I start climbing walls Lololol :D
And I love good old H2O !!!
Amma- same for me- every now and then I have to have a coke or pepsi- ( the nasty corn syrup one :) But once in awhile isn't going to kill ya!!! I don't keep it in the house or else......... :D
Old 05-23-2010, 12:04 PM
Banned

i didn't think to say this before but I add jam to make flavored iced tea. when the tea is still hot add a few tablesppons of jam to it and stir. I use raspberry or orange marmalade or blackberry. it is yummo and less costly then flavored tea in a tea bag.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:08 PM

Water here!
Old 05-23-2010, 12:18 PM

I like the flavored waters myself but they are just flavors not real fruit juice. They also have aspartame.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rhonda
I have seen these arguments alot lately. What they don't take into consideration is that diabetics have to use artificial sweeteners. And we buy caffeine free pop. So we do buy caffeine free diet pop. I started drinking diet pepsi 30 years ago and have had no ill effects from it.

I realize this is important to you and I am not knocking your views. But for me I have few options for a diabetic but to use the artificial sweeteners. It is an issue we have discussed and will not be changing any habits.

I do try to limit how much I drink tho.
Hey Rhonda- my husband is working on low glycemic ice-cream. He has a couple of friends with diabetes and low-glycemic products have not spiked anyone's blood sugar. It's really exciting and I know there is more going on with research all over. He worked for a large company for many years that made all the garbage I spoke about and he's now passionate about making healthy stuff :D
Old 05-23-2010, 01:04 PM

I know it is bad for me but I am a dt pepsi person. All winter long...I have 1 big fountain dt pepsi a day. The rest of the day I drink water. Now that the weather is getting warmer, I prefer unsweetened iced tea or just water.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:05 PM

i love my iced tea,i boil a pot year round...
i have about i can of pepsi a week..and it it just a "i have a taste for it" kinda thing.

I did notice when i was in texas,i drank more water than anything..i like a slice of lemon in my water too.

never drank diet pop..it gave me headaches.