I quit smoking!

Old 10-11-2013, 04:54 PM

Good for you! Congrats. DH quit about 10 yrs ago. A friend of mine from decades ago quit smoking at one point. Continued to put away the same $$ spend on cigs each week. Many home improvements and lots of fund came from her 'ciggy money'. As far as I know she still does this 25 years later.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:04 PM

Hi Mary - CONGRATULATIONS...I too quit smoking with the help of Chantix over 1yr ago now. I love NOT smoking.
The only side effect I had was nausea at odd times. So I finally just quit taking it...which by the way they do not recommend you stop taking without your doctor knowing. Im so happy for you!!

Originally Posted by MaryStoaks View Post
I quit smoking 6 weeks ago after struggling for years to quit. I tried everything. Finally my doctor gave me a prescription for Chantix. It works! I do have some side effects but nothing terrible: vivid dreams, constipation and gas. I don't know how this works exactly but it made quitting possible without suffering much. I thought I'd never be able to quit.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:08 PM

Congratulations!!!! So glad to hear that Chantrix is working for you and you were able to QUIT!!! I hope to join your club .... soon.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:45 PM

I hope you get a sore arm patting yourself on the back!!!!!!!! Awesome!!! and you deserve some special treats! Anything in the quilting line . . . machines, fabric, rulers, notions, etc. etc. A special quilting road trip??????

I quit 30+ years ago before they had any help products. It's a very hard thing to do with or without help, but I hope you Are proud of yourself....we sure are!
Old 10-11-2013, 05:59 PM

I am proud of you and hope this inspires others to quit. I am trying to get my brother to quit smoking and drinking alcohol. Both habits are wreaking havoc on his health. He refuses to quit or even admit he has a problem. I just gently offer support every once in a while to plant the seed that he needs to quit. I know pushing him won't work but I want him to know I will help him quit if he wants help.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:05 PM

Congratulations, and continued success. I just had a bone density test today after falling and breaking my hip on September 3. They said it is healing very well and I am doing excellent. They told me that if a person smokes or drinks alcohol that vitamins and minerals are not absorbed properly. I am on a lot of vitamins and bone medicine and hope that it will help restore my bones to good health. I have always drank milk, eaten cheese, and been very active so not sure why I broke it but I did. Just some more good reasons to stop smoking.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:08 PM

It's a great day when someone quits an addiction like smoking! Way to go! you have just started on a path of better health! I have never smoked and don't plan on ever starting. I have another addiction like buying fabric which is not as dangerous to my health!
Old 10-11-2013, 06:38 PM

Congratulations. I didnt do as good as you I stopped cold Turkey many times. When I ad cancer at age 40 I decided I would quit once and for all. After a year at a party I decided you can not drink without smoking so started smoking I promised myself I would trow away what was left in the pack well I finished the pack and smoked for a few years. Was smoking 2 packs a day plus was also smoking clove cigarettes whic are very bad for you I quit again but continued smoking cloves 1 pack a week. I was mad when they quit selling clov cig in the us But now I am glad havent smoked anything for about 3 years
Old 10-11-2013, 07:34 PM

Yay! Yahoo! Superb! Woo-Hoo! and all the other celebratory words you can think of!
Old 10-11-2013, 08:02 PM

Congrats Mary! You will be amazed how much better you feel. Your sense of smell comes back with a vengeance....lol
You will be shocked to think you once smelled so bad...LOL

We quit over 9 1/2 yrs ago. Since then our breathing has improved, my asthma is more manageable as well as my allergies. We used the patch for about 2 months.
And we have paid off 3 trucks with the money saved from buying smokes.