Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I think I am done drinking any kind of soda after seeing this. >

I think I am done drinking any kind of soda after seeing this.

I think I am done drinking any kind of soda after seeing this.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:07 AM

I don't drink a lot of coke, but it certainly doesn't stay in my stomach for a year. That is a little bit overboard. There are a lot of other things that will affect the shell of an egg as well, so I think this might be a lot of hype. Granted a lot of coke or any other soft drink is not good for you partly because of the sugar content and the diet has it's problems too. I think the main thing is eat and drink in moderation on anything you do. Some of these studies leave a lot to be desired. I think the American Public gets carried away and doesn't use much common sense anymore. Just my humble opinion for what it is worth.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:27 AM

well, it is true that cola and dark sodas can cause osteoporosis because of the phosphoric acids
Old 10-13-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by bakermom
Whoopie. DD did a science fair project with eggs. coke isn't the only thing that does weird things to eggs over a long period of time.
Vinegar will do it in less than a week.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:59 AM

I stopped drinking Coke/Pepsi some years back when I read a Jane Fonda book and she talked about it's affect on your bones. I only drink carbonated beverages once in a while during the summer but only about 2-3 a year.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:00 AM

I used to drink a lot of diet coke until I made the connection between the artificial sweeteners and my seemingly constant UTI's. I gave up 99% of my pop addiction (still have a rootbeer once in a great while) and switched to drinking unsweetened iced tea. Ended up with kidney stones and had to have a stone blasted in December of 2009 and then have one surgically removed in March of 2011. I now have permanent kidney damage because the one stone was so large it completely blocked my kidney. My stones are made from uric acid, so I can no longer drink any tea and do not drink pop at all. Water is really the only thing I can safely drink anymore, although the doctor does allow me to have my one mug of coffee daily. What's good or bad for one person is not necessarily good or bad for another. We all have to make the choices for ourselves.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:01 AM

Your dentist is right BUT if the exposure to acid is bad for your teeth, why isn't it harmful to your whole body? Answer is that IT IS, IT IS, IT IS!!!! I've studied this a long time as an herbalist and there is a REASON it cleans cement blocks on your fireplace or walkway. It erodes. That's a huge reason why there are so many kidney problems than ever before.

I watch people return bottles for their 5 cents and wonder how many will end up on dialysis. They have cartfuls and don't tell me they all go around collecting bottles and don't drink it. It is amazing to me how much kids drink WITH PERMISSION from parents, even small children at restaurants. They almost NEVER have water. We are made up of 70% water, NOT COKE!!

Originally Posted by shnnn
Our dentist told my husband to use a straw when he drinks his Mt Dew. It helps lower the exposure of acid to your teeth apparently. But, you know what is most disturbing to me... why isn't that a moldy cruddy mess?
Old 10-13-2011, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by ncredbird
Originally Posted by Lacelady
Uugh - I was told a long time ago that too much Coke would give you stomach ulcers.
Years ago I was having terrible pain in my stomach. My Dr asked me how many sodas I was drinking a day. Well, I was only having 1 diet soda a day but stopped having problems when I stopped drinking them. Nothing but water now, or tea on occasion. Am lactose intolerant so milk is out. Ann in TN
If I eat or drink anything with artificial sweeteners I get awful stomachaches or headaches. Depending on which sweetener it is. My MIL tried the Truvia and got a horrible rash on her wrists and ankles.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:58 AM

My dentist was more upset about the amount of sunflower seeds I ate (I admit I was addicted to them). After I had my gall bladder out, I have not craved them at all. What's up with that. The dentist never mentioned soda pop.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:06 AM

It isn't only your teeth to be concerned about. Soda has phosphorus or phosphoric acid in it and it is taking the calcium right out of your bones.

Good Luck

Suzy
Old 10-13-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by shnnn
Our dentist told my husband to use a straw when he drinks his Mt Dew. It helps lower the exposure of acid to your teeth apparently. But, you know what is most disturbing to me... why isn't that a moldy cruddy mess?
That was my thought too. A year old egg would be pretty bad and I don't think it would bounce like that one did. I have a feeling that video is fake. Yeah, it's probably bad for your teeth (and other things) but no one is going to be in contact with it for a year.