I took a cake class

Old 02-04-2011, 08:47 PM

LOL if you saw what this cake had to go through to look like this you would be in shock.
I made a trial cake first and worked out some of the kinks but it was only a single layer. And I used a chocolate mousse as the inside filling. Then we had to travel about 80 miles with it in the car. Something I will NEVER do again.

[quote=Qbee]OMGosh Seasaw2mch! That is beautiful!! And you know....I've never seen a Christmas wedding...that is stunning! You cake just makes it!
Old 02-04-2011, 11:55 PM

You will love cake decorating. I haven't done much in the last few years, but made boo coos when my children were small. I use to bake and decorate cakes for the public. Largest cake for an indiv. I made for one of my husband's nieces when she married - served about 800. A 3 tiered with a fountain, surrounded by 8 smaller double layered 10" rounds. I have a lot of money invested in all of my Wilton cake pans, books,tips, and other necessities for decorating. I love it, but working kept me from doing it a lot and I just haven't gotten back into it. It is also a good addiction like quilting. Some good advice don't loan out your pans, and I always greased my pans then lined the bottom with wax paper and greased and floured that, that way I had no problem with a cake sticking to the bottome of the pan, you don't want to have to use anything to get it out and scratch you pans. Never cut your cake when in the pan. I'm not an expert but if you have any questions, that I might be able to help with, pm me. Have fun. Gerbie
Old 02-05-2011, 01:19 AM

I took a class like that many years ago. It was so much fun but after several weeks of classes my family got really sick of eating cake!!!!
Old 02-05-2011, 03:06 AM

Looks almost too good to eat. But I would have a piece if you cut it. I love watching the cake shows, keep going and share more photos.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:30 AM

thanks for all the compliments on my cake. we finally cut it and it was really good. Next time butter frosting.. From the discussion board on Wilton. Its bunny's
Old 02-05-2011, 03:31 AM

Seasaw your cake is beautiful.. TFS that with us.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:11 AM

Lindsey:
Bunny's recipe calls for "popcorn salt". You can find it in small containers at Wal-Mart in the spice/salt section. It really makes the icing taste so much better.

Another thing is the shortening. Some brands took the trans fats out, which has caused an issue with the icing sticking to the cakes. Many are using one of the Wal-Mart brands. You have to look at the ingredients list to know which is which, as there are 2 kinds & the cans look almost alike. Others are buying what's called "high ratio shortening", which is allot mroe expensive.

Good luck on your classes. It can be a fun hobby. If looking to do this as an in home business you must check with local regualtions, as many states do not allow food items to be produced out of homes.

The Wilton boards are packed with tons of good info & recipies. Take some time to read back thru them all. Copy/paste info is permitted.

Originally Posted by Lindsey
thanks for all the compliments on my cake. we finally cut it and it was really good. Next time butter frosting.. From the discussion board on Wilton. Its bunny's
Old 02-05-2011, 09:13 AM

No, I was just doing this class for fun and family not for business. Thought it would give me a night out of the house. I was just at wal mart shoulda thought of the popcorn salt then. Our teacher said to take the sea salt and add it to the liguid. That will give it a chance to disolve. When you add the coloring it won't bleed where the sea salt hasn't disolved. Thanks for the tips.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:41 AM

Hope you have a big freezer! Oh, you can alway donate your practice cakes to a shelter or your local fire department...

Yummmy! (I feel the fat cells plumping in my thunder thighs!)

:-D :-D :-D
Old 02-05-2011, 11:00 AM

Dip your frosting spatula into hot water and then shake off excess water and run it across the frosting. it will smooth out nicely! Jan