Ice Tea

Old 07-16-2012, 07:44 AM

I am also in ND, and been through the whole state and you will find it on the menu, but usually unsweetend.

Originally Posted by Joset View Post
i am from ND we drink it here
Old 07-16-2012, 08:15 AM

Just curious, how do you brew a real good batch of ice tea. Most people in my neck of the woods use a powder mix. I find it too sweet and the tea taste is lost. I have tried to brew my own but just curious how the experts down south make it.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:48 AM

So how do you make good iced tea or coffee?
Old 07-16-2012, 10:07 AM

When I asked for iced tea in Michigan in December the waitress looked at me like I was crazy!

When we lived in Chicago and Kansas City I never had to request unsweetened iced tea because that's the only kind they serve. Forgetting about my southern roots, I went on a business trip to Alabama and nearly choked when I took a great big gulp of tea ... they serve it sweet unless you request unsweet tea!
Old 07-16-2012, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

Most restaurants don't like to waste anything so the tea stays in the container until it's gone. After a few hours at room temp the tea will start to turn. So the restaurants end up having bad tasting tea so it doesn't sell. I return many glasses of ice tea that is 'old'. Most managers don't know about tea, just use the automatic machine and think it's okay to let it stay there until it's gone. You can tell with the fist sip. Sad that so many get the old tea and think that is how ice tea is suppose to taste. Sun tea has the old taste if left in the sun for a couple of hours. I make a pitcher of ice tea every day. We drink tea instead of soda. My favorite is black tea.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:31 AM

I am a transplant to the South from the Northeast where I drank plenty of iced tea. My problem in the south is not getting sickeningly sweet tea. I emphasize unsweet, no sweetener and 9 times out of 10 a spoon could stand up in it, it is so bad.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:05 PM

We've had the same problem.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:37 PM

I drank iced tea in Alaska and Iceland.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by nivosum View Post
It has been over 10 yrs since I traveled by car up to the northeast (went to New York state). The last time beyond a certain latitude (can't remember the cutoff), the restaurants did not have ice tea on their menu. They only had hot tea. Why don't the people up that way drink ice tea in the restaurants, at least in the summer? What about the midwest? I drink it in all seasons.
Well to tell you the truth,you have to ask for it ,it is not something on their menu because during the winter time it is something that is not a very good seller.I do have to say we do not have as good of sweet tea as you do down South.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:13 PM

Well I lived in OK for quite a long time and I drank sweet ice tea there and when I moved back here I still make jars of sun iced tea up here and I'm now in Canada. I think it depends on the area its a hit and miss. I know the Panera Bread chains carry it.