Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Ideas about giving grandkids money >

Ideas about giving grandkids money

Ideas about giving grandkids money

Old 04-02-2011, 06:06 AM

My mom has 32 grandchildren and what she does is give a check for their birthday and stipulates that half goes in a savings account. That way the kids get something to spend and are watching their money grow.

I did the same with my kids, their allowance, and later paychecks, had to have half go in the bank. To this day they are good savers.:)
Old 04-02-2011, 06:23 AM

WE have 6 grankids and gave up buying gifts too. They just don't like what I buy. We gave gift cards, they love have a "credit card" and I packed them in a card, in a small gift box then a larger box, larger box, etc. It was about 6 different boxes. It was fun watching the fustration and then smile when they finally got to the gift.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

We never gave our kids big presents for birthdays, just a simple gift but when the first grand came along, well, it was hard not to buy her everything! DH said I did. We only had the one grandchild for 13 years so gifts were never a problem. Now we have three new bonus grands (step) and the gifts are now one gift a year for the whole family at one time. Memberships or year passes to amusement parks, swimming pools, ball parks, etc.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:42 AM

Youngest g-daughter likes to hide her money until she gets enough to put in her saving account. For her birthday she got money UNDER the table. I put the money under the dinner table. Another time she got LAUNDERED money, still wet. Yes, I washed cash in the washer (placed it in laundry bag)
Old 04-02-2011, 06:44 AM
DJ

Great topic. I'm taking notes! Only one young grandchild for me so far, so I'm still giving gifts.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:55 AM

MIL rolled dollar bills, tied each to a ribbon and tucked into a Xmas stocking with a bow hanging out the top. The little ones eyes grew rounder as each bill came out the top. Also decorated an empty soup can, had folded bills tucked inside , opening cut on the sealed part of can and the bills pulled out one by one. ( She had a lot of time on her hands!!LOL) I have to tell the story about my surprise Cash gift a few years ago to my adult children. I had received money from the sale of my mom's home, after my brother passed away. There wasn't all that much, , but I felt it would be nice to give it to her grandchildren. I never had given the kids cash like that before, that was just from me, so I couldnt wait to see their face when they each saw $1000 inside their new stocking. Well,! I was the surprised one!! There was no excitement, no happy smiles, judst shock! Very quickly all the kids were together in the kitchen talking in low tones. When I walked in , my first son said," Mom, what is wrong, are you dying?" I cracked up!!
Old 04-02-2011, 09:59 AM

Great ideas!
Old 04-02-2011, 10:03 AM

Thanks to all of you for coming to my rescue. Our dgs turns 13 this month. I've written all of your ideas down.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:14 PM

I gave my daughter money once in a small photo album. I put the bills from smallest to largest in the photo slots. I wrapped the picture album and told her "it was some of my most precious friends." Then we went shopping together for her to spend it. She said that was the most fun birthday she ever had.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:05 PM

I love all these inventive ideas for giving money! Money is always appreciated, but just giving it seems like you don't put any thought into it. But with all these ideas, it's obvious you do, and you add some fun to it, too!

I liked the idea of enclosing the money with a small gift. That way, they have something to keep from you, too.

Gift cards to a favorite store could also work.

You could always ask them for their wish lists, too. Sometimes when people give kids money, their parents insist that they save it or limit what they can use it for.