Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Ideas about giving grandkids money >

Ideas about giving grandkids money

Ideas about giving grandkids money

Old 04-03-2011, 04:31 AM

I love all of the ideas. . . .don't have any to add but I am certainly bookmarking these! I got a good chuckle out of clem55's story!
Old 04-03-2011, 04:44 AM

One year I gave my kids money in a puzzle box. It was clear, and you could see the money inside. They had to figure out how to open the plastic box to get at the cash. I can't remember exactly where I bought them, but it was in one of those catalogs that we get in the mail with all kinds of stuff in it (like Catalog Favorites, for example). It took the kids a LONG time to figure out how to open those puzzle boxes - they really had to think to get their money! It I remember right, the boxes were about $15 each - well worth the enjoyment of watching the kids try to get them open!
Old 04-03-2011, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

Here's one that became a tradition in my "adopted" family ...... Grandma was known for making her Nuts and Bolts at Christmas time.

One year all the kids got was a giant jar of N+B. They were thrilled though disappointed. However, sometime later as they ate their way thru, they discovered she had lovingly included a cheque near the bottom!!

Then the search was on each year for a different sort of collectable container for Grandma's next gifts. Oddly enough, the N+B didn't last thru Christmas day after that.

Grandma is now gone ... and the N+B tradition continues (no cheques!) ... and attempts are made to steal each others N+B so we have more when we leave!!

Another suggestion ... bake the money inside a cupcake or cookie. (small, so they won't share!!)
Old 04-03-2011, 07:47 AM

My son's aunt gave him two shares of a "growth" stock when he was born. When he was eight, the stock split, and he had four shares. It paid a dividend of about 17 cents quarterly, which we put in a savings account. When he turned 18, he cashed it all in for around $450 to buy his first car. It was a great lesson in "high finance."
Old 04-03-2011, 08:58 AM
pal

What are Nuts and Bolts - candy? Sounds like fun!
Old 04-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

Snack Mix perhaps?
There's other names ... perhaps N+B is the Canadian version?

The stuff you make with cheerios (nuts), pretzels (bolts), shreddies, peanuts ..... and more! Lots of butter, salt and sometimes BBQ and/or garlic seasonings.

Deliciousness for sure!!!

Of course, could do the hidden $ with any candy, etc.

Another idea .... give them a penny jar, with your extra $ in it.

A Grandma I know has a jar she is filling with loose change ... and eventually it goes to her GS. He's anxiously watching it fill.

A little favouritism there, as there are 2 GSs (brothers) and 2 GGS/D.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:18 AM

You all need to count your blessings that you have grandchildren, and quit worrying about what to give them. Give a gift from the heart and that is good. I have no grandchildren and never will, so please enjoy yours for me.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

I don't either Island ... and never will. No kids either.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:33 AM

If hiding money inside of something, it might be wise to make a note on the outside of the box, package, etc. that something is hidden inside. This is because if giving something funny or from the dollar store they may think that is all there is. I wouldn't want them to miss finding the valuable gift. You may also want to ask them after a few hours, if they found the hidden surprise with their package.

With that said I would think about investing in their future depending on how much you have to give. If giving a savings bond, I would make a copy of it and keep for your files or with your important documents. With the information on the bond, it could be replaced in case the original is somehow lost or damaged. If doing this, then note who it was given to and when, why, etc. for future reference.

Pam M
Old 04-03-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by catrancher
My son's aunt gave him two shares of a "growth" stock when he was born. When he was eight, the stock split, and he had four shares. It paid a dividend of about 17 cents quarterly, which we put in a savings account. When he turned 18, he cashed it all in for around $450 to buy his first car. It was a great lesson in "high finance."

This is a great gift idea. I was given a stock in a very well known and used product for my first birthday. It grew and doubled several times. I have always kept that original share of stock. Mom had started a special savings account for this and other special gifts of money received. It was a great lesson of finance in my life.

Pam M