Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Idiopathic Pulmonary Artial Hypertension >

Idiopathic Pulmonary Artial Hypertension

Idiopathic Pulmonary Artial Hypertension

Old 01-15-2011, 08:19 AM

google it and when it comes up go to the sites that are real med sites (I think the Mayo Clinic has a site), then go to a site that has homeopathic info. Stay calm, they say eat this and not that then do it! They say you need to remain calm cut the drama out of your life - even if it mean avoiding relatives! Need to loose weight, well its a choice of what feels good in your mouth or dropping dead, you get to choose. There is a lot of very good info out there on how to be proactive in your own health situations.
When I turned 40 I had this spell of passing out a work. Broke down, went to a Dr, he made me wear a heart monitor over a w/e. Hubs was working out of state and I didnt tell him so as not to scare him. The next week I got a call from his office (his office, not him!) to meet him at this local hospital I needed immediate heart surgery! well, no one would tell me exactly what the issue was and I was in the middle of a catalog photo shoot at work and said nope couldnt come (Imean, really, meet me at a hospital? and wont tell me why?? crap to that) In 3 days I got a registered letter saying he took no responsibility for my heart and was no longer my dr if I would not listen to him! My husband died 6 mos later of a massive heart attack and Im now over 60 and still here! Oh, and Ive never been back to a dr since that phone call. No paps, no mammograms, nothing.
I know I have things wrong and maybe some really big issues, but no one lives forever and if you are proactive, understand how the body works, and get info you are way ahead, but you have to start young, and if not, then you have to decide you will start and just do it.
Diabetes is on my dads side and pancreatic cancer on my moms. Here is what I know: all sugars feed all cancers, (maybe corn sugar worst of all.- that is iffy) Sugars are bad for diabetics, too, so Ive cut as much out of my life as I can. I cook and bake alot of my own w/ very good ingredients. I grow much of my own veggies, I do not ever eat fast foods, Ive cut way back on meats (there are issues w/ this, too, and I know my body and I get very bad somach aches when I start eating beef, so I stick to fish a little of all the other stuff.) We will start having a few chickens this yr, mainly for fresh eggs, not poultry. There is a ton of good eating info online.
I need to eat about 6 SMALL meals thru the day to maintain a proper blood sugar level, I need to eat lots of veggies and grains so its steal cut oats once a day, and I throw Quinoa, flax, barley and such in meals thru the week. No matter what the cost in the winter I eat 1 salad a day, I drink at least 2 glasses of V8 or veggie juice a a day. I dont smoke (never even once), drink a 4 oz glass of wine every few days, take a vitamin and supplement (D and Bs etc). I rarely get sick, had that stupid bird flu last winter (was home alone ad was sick for a week the 5 weeks after, but lived w/ no meds)and now notice I was sickly last week for 2 days and it just went away - I think I'm immune now lol!
I do yard work, gardening (pulling weeds! digging w/ shovels! etc), haul wood for the fireplace, cut brush, and if there is no work like this I ride a bike and walk. You MUST keep active as you age or sure as the sun sets you will end up w/ weak bones/ broken hips. EVERY bit of physical work you do builds your bones, it never stops. You can only gain from doing things physical, no matter what your age is.
I dont have high: BP, cholesterol(sp), or blood sugars (we go to those clinic fairs once a yr and people test all that for free)-
the point is: be proactive, do not panic when a dr tells you something and then leaves you hanging, panic is bad bad bad, it puts bad chemicals in you bloodstream. Even if a dr gives you a "death sentence", there are more drs and opinions out there and alternative treatments. Learn about your body and how it works and why. You are the first line of defense in your own health, and teach your family to live this way - its easier to start when you have babies, you control everything that goes into their bodies.
On that job I mentioned I worked w/ a young girl (just in her 20s) whose parents raised her on healthfoods (and no sugars). She wouldnt even chew a stick of gum, not because her parents said not to but because the taste was so alien to her it tasted bad in her mouth. We did get her to taste a glazed donut on break one sat AM - she scraped off the glaze, bit it, chewed it, then had to spit it out cus she said it tasted "greasy in my mouth"! I ask you who can spit out a fresh baked glazed donut, lol! share t
Old 01-15-2011, 08:52 AM

I was in the similar situation in Oct. 2010. My DD was diagoinsed with Congestive Heart Failure at the age of 30, mostly due to her past life style. But anyways, I flew to Florida and sat by her side a day or so before I finally saw the doctor. I wasn't just sure what to ask him...There isn't a manual that is given out with the correct questions in it ask a Dr.. Well this Dr. told me "When you have your questions written out for ME, I'll take the time to answer them!" Not the right answer to this mother, I'll tell you. I then told him "I was warned by the nurses of this ICU that you were a JERK and you are, Now please give me the information I need about my daughters condition." Believe it or not he became human again..I think sometimes they forget how to be patient with people. The nurses said not many people stand up to him and his rudeness. But after that we got along just fine. Also he saved my daughter's life and I will always remember that !! Thank You Dr. Given!!!
Old 01-15-2011, 10:02 AM

I do not have PAH, but, I do have cancer. Things I learned: 1. Do research and write all your questions down to ask the DR. and leave space for you to write the answers. 2. Have someone in the office with you as sometimes (with me when I heard the word cancer) your mind freezes and you don't hear another word
3. Do not believe everything you hear as each person's case is different 4. Contact the American Lung Assoc for info and possibly a list of Drs in your area. 5. Stay positive -- hope keeps us going, fear stops you in its track.

Good Luck!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2011, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
The look on the nurses face still cracks me up --- he thought he was God...
----------------------------
I was a hospital volunteer for over 28 years, and I agree with you.
We all called the new interns GITS...
Gods In Training....

And lots of them acted like they already were. The one or two who were cheerful, professional acting even though not too chummy, still stands out in my mind, long may they practice.
My most recent job as an RN was in a residency training program, associated with MI State University. We referred to the residents as "DITs". Docs in training, but sometimes I thought it was really spelled DITZ!!!! Some of them really get big heads.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:16 AM

You will be much in my prayers. I was diagnosed many years ago with COPD ( chronic obstuctive pulminary disease) with chrinic brhonchitis and asthma with a touch of emphsyma. I also have an enlarged heart and have a leak where the blood goes into the heart. I have been on inhalers and puffers for many years and they help. It is in a way a death sentence but your life is still very much worth living and if the doctor is not worried about you getting in until march then it is not a desperate situation yet.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:39 PM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

((( ))) to you. I hope you live in an area where you can chose your doctor. Do not stay with one that does not treat you like a valuable person..find a doctor that will talk with you. They are out there..we have one, Dr. Yunez..we wait in the office past our appointment time, but know when it is our turn, we will be getting all his attention and care.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:49 PM

Many prayers for you. Hang in there and don't give up. God is greater than any doctor here on earth and only He knows what, when, where, and why things happen to you and when your time is up. Again, many prayers and hugs for you.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:40 PM

Thank you :wink:
Old 01-15-2011, 07:47 PM

Thanks for the pep talk! It's good to know others around have issues to watch also. This is just like diabetes, it's an incurable disease & I'm going to have to watch what I do. As far as doing any bending, stooping or carrying heavy objects, that is definately out of the picture. My breathing just will NOT allow it. So I do what I can, when I can & I pray every day. I have 5 quilts in the works & have to get them finished before I go! So I'm hoping I'm here for more projects after these 5!!! :D
Old 01-15-2011, 07:50 PM

Thanks for your reply. I am going to Drs. at the Barnes Hosp. in St. Louis. Eveyrone thinks I am in the right place & with the right drs. It's just that with the way medical has gotten & so many people suing drs. on the IL side, everyone is going over to MO for health care. But drs. at Barnes are suppose to be the ones to see. Cross your fingers for me!