Illegal to be happy?

Old 02-16-2011, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

I am optimistic by nature. I can find good in nearly everything. I like life this way.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I am optimistic by nature. I can find good in nearly everything. I like life this way.
DITTO!
Old 02-16-2011, 12:50 PM

I work with mostly elderly people/patients. I can't believe how grumpy some of them are. I realize that their health and ability to get around like they did when they were younger is an issue, but I think they would have a nicer, more content life if they had a more positive attitude and looked on the bright side. So I try to be upbeat, smile a lot, and say nice things always in the hope that it will rub off on them. And a lot of the time it does. Then there are those elderly people who are like a breath of fresh air and you can't get enough of them. It is a pleasure to be around them. Exuding happiness and a good attitude are great qualities to have and to be around.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by SuzzyQ
Being happy/content is a choice I make every morning. Life is way too short to spend it being miserable ... or spending it around miserable people.
You took the words right out of my mouth SuzzyQ.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:40 PM

I'd say contented with frequent bursts of real happiness. This ecconomy has everyone in the dumps for now and no matter how much the reporters tell us everything is improving, everyone we know who lost their job is still looking for new work. I try to make allowances for the glum faces on friends with real problems to deal with.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by moonwork42029
Having seen several people go through difficult times, especially lately, I am glad to wake up on this side of the dirt.

Also, being cheerful is easier, even I have the reputation of being the "Mean One" in the office (bookkeeper so I tell everyone No)...makes them worried if I am cheerful, lol... soooo much fun!
This made me laugh! I had a boss that I drove crazy for years by ALWAYS being very, very upbeat when he was around. He was quite grumpy and never satisfied with anything so I purposely acted happy - no matter what mood I was in.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:56 PM
Power Poster

Positive emotions are a choice. Ignoring the negative is a choice too. My DH and my mom are negative people but I refuse to listen to the negative. I tune them out for the most part. When they aren't being negative I will talk and listen.

I sometimes have to take charge and stop the negative thoughts. If you think happy and act happy you will begin to feel happy!

Love life and laugh often!! Keeps you young!!
Old 02-16-2011, 02:17 PM

I, myself am content. I don't believe happiness is a sustainable emotion, but being content and satisfied is. As far as being miserable, yes, it is very easy to be miserable. Some problems in your life just can not be ignored, especially if it is financial or illness.

Up until very recently, we didn't have money to make ends meet. And I'm not talking about debt, I'm talking about food, utilities, car insurance, etc. Everyday living expenses. (We own our home and vehicles out right) So I have alot of empathy for people who are miserable because they are about to lose their homes, can't make ends meet, have severe health problems that will never get any better. It's hard to be happy in that kind of situation.

I don't have empathy or sympathy for people like Christina Onassis (yes, I know she's dead) who had all the money in the world and nothing could make her happy. When you can pay your bills, it's a whole lot easier to be content with your life. JMHO.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:20 PM

I'm a glass half full kind of person. I try to see the positives in my life. I refuse to dwell on the negative. I won't spend time with people who try to bring me down. We all have bad days but some people seem to constantly wallow in their misery!
I agree, life is too darn short for that! :D :-D :-D
Old 02-16-2011, 03:31 PM

I love this!! You all cheer me up!!

Contentment is like peace in your heart.......God loves me!!! What could be better than that. He takes care of all my needs and even knows my future. :) :) :)