Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I'm Concerned about this Winter

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    I don't suppose you have room for a house guest for 3-4 months starting around December 20?!

Jan in VA
    Of course. if you don't mine sleeping with my fabric stash that resides in the 2nd bedroom !!! Bring your own bed. And don't be worried if you feel the earth shake under your feet !!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Love the poem Edie and good luck with the winter!

We, too, are seeing our birds migrate through earlier than usual .

Blog Entries
    I'm back! I just heard something on the TV regarding our summer. We, all summer, have had two days of 90 degrees (no days higher than that in 2014) and we are still above normal in the heat for the summer. Cannot believe that one!!!!!! Not a whole lot of days sitting out in the AM early for a cup of coffee either!!!!

Thank you - I love that poem also. I collect adages, sayings, like "A Hop from Heaven - A Skip from sanity, and a Jump from the good life". Or , get ready for this one! "WINTER EXISTS TO MAKE SPRING FEEL LIKE A MIRACLE."
    That's it for the day. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

On the other hand, I read online the other day that next summer is supposed to be one of "those" summers where you just can't cool off. (According to the Farmer's Almanac). August in Alabama has been really cool this year, with mostly 90's and only a few days of 102 deg. weather.
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

It has been a cooler summer and all predictions say that it will be a colder winter. I have noticed the leaves are starting to turn already and and you can feel fall in the air. I remember 1992....Snow on Halloween and it stayed forever. Last winter, the snow was piled higher than my car at the end of the driveway. Make it tricky to back out into the street. I don't want winter to come.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I heard on the weather channel that it would be a colder than normal winter in the East and MidWest but the West would be normal to warmer. They are predicting less snow for the snow belts however because the temperature of the Great Lakes was colder this summer because of last year's winter freeze. The prevailing winds come from the west across the Great Lakes and since the water temperature is warmer than the air at that point it picks up moisture and then dumps it in the form of snow as it reaches the colder land mass. This is why the West coast of Michigan and places like Buffalo NY get so much snow. I lived in SW Michigan for years before moving to Florida and my children still live there. Rarely is the amount of snow an issue for getting around as they keep things plowed well unless you are on secondary rural roads which are not as high a priority in a snowstorm. The challenge is keeping the end of your driveway clear of the heavy chunky snow the snow plow leaves when it goes through. There is no perfect place to live. It's either too hot, too cold, too rainy, earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes and such. Love where you are at the moment. Life is much better that way.

I just hope we get some RAIN this year. Things are getting scary-dry around here. All of the local creeks are completely dried up; I used to fall asleep to the sound of frogs singing but now it's eerily quiet. I don't think I've heard as many geese this year either, I think because a lot of the local ponds they used to layover in are dried up and gone.

For awhile they were predicting another el Nino but they stopped saying that and now it's looking like we're doomed for another dry winter.

Our summer has been very cold with very little sunshine. We have had ONE day of total sunshine this summer, and that was last Wednesday. Every other day, it was cloudy or foggy in the morning and the sun didn't come out until 10:00 or 2:00 or even 4:00. Or else the sun came up in the morning and it got cloudy by 10:00 with maybe a little more sun later in the day. Really strange. It's been in the 50's and sometimes 40's most every night. People say they like the cool weather, but it's not right. It scares me that we have had no heat this summer. We"re 20% ahead of the normal amount of rain for the year, also.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I am absolutely dreading winter. I used to always be hot but now I am always cold, especially my feet.. It doesn't seem to matter what I put on them.. I have wool socks, sheepskin slippers....nothing seems to help much :-(
    Besides my family, my pets are the most important things to me. I have had birds, a dog or cats since I was about 8 years old. The cruelest thing you can do to me is take my animals away.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    The trees are turning in Western Colorado and I am so not ready for winter. We do have our firewood stocked so I can bathe myself in the warmth during the cold winter days and nights (yes we have a heater, but the warmth from the fireplace is oh so much nicer!).. LOL but I am so not ready for winter, the snow, cold winds.
    The geese haven't started their migration ,yet, here.
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Here in Utah we have had signs of early winter for a couple of months. I know my garden is doing things it doesn't usually do until the end of September, like plants turning and some of the trees in the canyons are already turning. This years weather has been odd all over the world. Just be prepared all. Good time for quilting.

Blog Entries
    Thats why they call me a BLUE Bird instead if a Snow bird. I live in FL and come to Ky for the Summer.About time to go home , probably two - three weeks.. GO big Blue..haha cmaras1234
    "I do not understand ,how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to" ( and mine is my summer houseboat on a beautiful KY lake.) quote by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings.

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    N.E.Ohio here and as others said; the trees are losing leaves already, the squirrels are stripping my oaks and maples. The geese have been squawking overhead for a few weeks now. Hmmm, maybe I should clear some room for canned food and water and of course good ole TP. The grocery is only a block away tho so maybe I should concern myself with fabric, bird seed and pet food and track down a young buck to shovel . . Lol
    You never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child.

Blog Entries
    As wacky as last yr was this one has me more worried. We've also had a wacky summer. As it should be cooling down right now, its getting hotter. We've had a really mild summer and only a couple of days that were in the 100's and even then the humidity was low, unusal for here. My sister lives in WV and her daughter in law has a couple of sites she watches each yr and they are predicting a bad winter for them, again this yr. So not ready for really cold and niether is my body.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Oh! Oh!
    The Old Farmers Almanac predicting a nasty winter! http://www.almanac.com/weather/longrange/OH
    Last edited by lorimax5859; 09-02-2014 at 07:26 AM.

I'm not ready for winter either! According to the Farmer's Almanac it's going to be another bad one. I have heated pretty much with wood for the last 19 years (propane backup). This past year I replaced my system with geothermal and am hoping that it makes life easier for me! I cannot afford to heat with the propane prices that keep going up and I'm getting too old to cut and split wood for the winter and then haul it in the house.
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

Last winter was warmer here in southern Oregon than the year before. We always prepare for winter wherever we live. We put up food and make sure the house is winterized. We also prepare for summers (in Texas they can be brutal) because they can cause plenty of havoc too. Some of our hummers are gone, some are still here and will be since they are year round residents. We feed them during the winter. Sometimes I wake up real early and they are waiting for me to hang the tepid water for them. Too funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
    Ya'll are depressing me with all this talk of a bad winter. Stoppit!! Pleeeeeeze

sandy
    I am in the Appalachian mountains and love it here until winter comes with those long nights!
    Not as bad as those long long days of winter in Scotland where I was born and raised until I married.

But would not leave those mountains for anything

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    Of course. if you don't mine sleeping with my fabric stash that resides in the 2nd bedroom !!! Bring your own bed. And don't be worried if you feel the earth shake under your feet !!
    had to laugh at your last remark about the earth shaking lol.. having been born & raised in socal, i have had a lot of fun over the years telling stories about my shakey childhood
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

I live in Florida and though we get chilly here, it's never as bad as you guys up North..Stay warm and most of all stay safe..
    Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by canmitch1971 View Post
    I am absolutely dreading winter. I used to always be hot but now I am always cold, especially my feet.. It doesn't seem to matter what I put on them.. I have wool socks, sheepskin slippers....nothing seems to help much :-(
    My mom soaks her feet in very warm water with a little mustard powder added. It helps keep your feet warmer longer. Be sure not to use too much powder as it can get really hot and burn.
    Sometimes I have to do this too even here in TX when I can't get my feet warm.
    Last edited by Suzanne57; 09-02-2014 at 01:30 PM.

Farmers Albenac says we will have a real cold winter here in Wisconsin. We are lucky to have real good people living near us out here in farm country. We give them apples, pears veggies from the garden, eggs and what ever we can, any many times when we get up in the morning our yard is plowed.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    wish we could get a generator. I live in a condo and they won't let us get a generator. Also, all our electrical lines are underground, but that doesn't mean what's connected to us won't freeze and fall down.
    Dont worry Lynnie! If you lose power, give me a shout...we have a generator and a couple of Eden Pure quartz heaters! You're close enough to pop on over...I'm still in Mastic Beach. The house hasn't sold yet!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    Come to think of it, there is that. Hmmmm, left hand)...snow....right hand)....earthquake....left hand)...snow....right hand)...earthquake.................
    Maybe I'll just hibernate here!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast