Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm Concerned about this Winter

Suz

I'm Concerned about this Winter

Folks, We live in Central PA and all morning I have heard the geese flying over head following the Juniata River wherein it will connect to the Susquehanna River near Harrisburg, as they head to warmer weather for the winter. I have heard we are to have another very cold winter like we did last year. I don't know about you, but I am not ready for the cold weather.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I will never be ready for winter. Why the heck I still live in Illinois is beyond me. I should live where it is never cold.

Suz, I live in the center of New York State. There have been definite signs of Fall since the middle of July. We may be in for a bad winter. It was cool enough most of August that it felt as though we were cheated out of a full month of summer. Still, would rather experience that than record heat. Mother Natures does what she darned well pleases. Spending a winter behind a sewing machine isn't the worse thing that an happen.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like you better start preparing. If you don't have a generator and think you may need one, I'd get one now whether or not on sale. Start stocking up on what you can. I've told my sons to start preparing. My oldest is a hunter and not really a "prepper" but he installed a wood burning stove (with permission from landlord). He grows his many vegetables and he and his girl friend canned quite a bit. Even if you don't can, you can get canned and frozen on sale. Of course he looks forward to winter for deer hunting and whatever else. They have both started checking to make sure they are not losing energy. Winterizing!

My thought about the summer being cooler is that the jet stream that made the winter being colder was also making the summer cooler. I have heard both another winter like the last one and a warmer winter this year. but can't remember which source was for which prediction right now so its anybody's guess.

Blog Entries
    I'm nervous too, when the crickets start coming in in August it's going to be really cold. Zoey already got 2 of them.
    The squirrels have been running around with the acorns already. Getting bushy tails early too. It's gonna be a cold winter I think .
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-01-2014 at 08:52 AM. Reason: implied language
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    wish we could get a generator. I live in a condo and they won't let us get a generator. Also, all our electrical lines are underground, but that doesn't mean what's connected to us won't freeze and fall down.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    I'm in Colorado and I'm not either. I must do the snow shoveling, etc. Not an easy task. Stay warm!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    I'm nervous too, when the crickets start coming in in August it's going to be really cold. Zoey already got 2 of them.
    The squirrels have been running around with the acorns already. Getting bushy tails early too. It's gonna be a of a cold winter I think .
    i have read the same recently. same areas east & midwest hard hit last winter in for repeat this coming winter. out west here, supposed to be normal. but i have noticed the same things in the wild life. my summer birds leaving in mid august, my hummers gone month earlier than usual, we watch the squirrels and run out to rescue the walnuts...this year it's still too early, but when i checked fri morning...tree almost completely stripped. it was 49F @ 5:30a today. it's only sept one and we have end of september temps. i think we are in for a bad winter in pacific northwest also.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-01-2014 at 08:52 AM. Reason: based on edited quote
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

Evy
    Last year we had lots of hummingbirds through October. About 3 weeks ago we counted 30 (I think-they're quick when you try to count) now I rarely see more than one or two a day. I've taken 3 of the 4 feeders down and am about ready to take down the last one. We just moved permanently to southeastern KY from south FL in March. Hope we don't regret it!

Quote Originally Posted by Evy View Post
    Last year we had lots of hummingbirds through October. About 3 weeks ago we counted 30 (I think-they're quick when you try to count) now I rarely see more than one or two a day. I've taken 3 of the 4 feeders down and am about ready to take down the last one. We just moved permanently to southeastern KY from south FL in March. Hope we don't regret it!
    yes they are quick when you try to count them. but still a fun way to try and drink the morning cuppa while reading the paper out on the deck lol ... i have considered taking down my last feeder but last night and this morning there is still one little silly hanging around. it is early yet for them to need to migrate, but because of lower than normal night time temps right now i will leave the nutrition up. i'll just refresh w smaller batch. one or two little birds won't be able to drain a feeder before i worry about the safety of the food. oriols usually help, but they already left.
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

I've heard the same about here in IN. I think part of the reason last winter seemed so awful is because we have been spoiled for a few years with winters that weren't so bad. We live in a drafty old farmhouse...not looking forward to cold temps, high heating bills, and having to leave water trickle from every faucet in the house.

I'm thrilled we're moving from Michigan to Ohio. We're in the "snow belt" of Michigan, and get dumped on every year - and nothing closes, no matter how many feet we get. I'm looking forward to moving back to Columbus, where the city shuts down (at least according to my sister!) when it snows a lot. They've got "emergency levels" in bad weather, and I'll be happy as a clam to stay home when it hits a Level 2!
    Tenacity is more than endurance. It is endurance combined with the absolute certainty that what we are looking for is going to transpire. -Oswald Chambers

I am not ready for Winter but I am looking forward to Fall! That is my favorite time of year.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Quote Originally Posted by cindi View Post
    I'm thrilled we're moving from Michigan to Ohio. We're in the "snow belt" of Michigan, and get dumped on every year - and nothing closes, no matter how many feet we get. I'm looking forward to moving back to Columbus, where the city shuts down (at least according to my sister!) when it snows a lot. They've got "emergency levels" in bad weather, and I'll be happy as a clam to stay home when it hits a Level 2!
    I'm in the snow belt just south of Erie, PA, which was the snowiest place last winter! And our little town gets tons more snow than Erie does. We just keep on going too! Last time I remember anything closing was the day my son was born, Jan 28 1977! Almost didn't make it to hospital! When I did get there, our friends were still there; had their baby 1/18 and couldn't get back home because roads were closed!
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

I am so sorry for ALL of you. Where I am in So CA, we had 2 weeks of fall and 1 week of winter and it was back to summer again. Poor trees and flowers were really mixed up. Getting real tired of 90 degree weather !!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nygal View Post
    I am not ready for Winter but I am looking forward to Fall! That is my favorite time of year.
    Fall truly is a spectacular season. The two changes - spring and fall - are my favourites, but at least spring brings the promise of warmer weather! I don't mind winter but hate the long, dark days.
    Barbara

Samuel Johnson - Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed, not by strength but by perseverance.

Ya'll are depressing me with all this talk of a bad winter. Stoppit!! Pleeeeeeze

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Oh my gosh, I heard geese honking over us too a couple days ago. And I wondered the same thing. I just can't take another horrible winter like last year. Of course you do what you have to do to get through it, but I won't like it!
    Lori

I just wish I didn't have a 40 mile commute each way to work. I can make myself withstand the cold but I hate driving on the bad roads. Makes me tense!

Guess we'd better line up our quilting projects and prepare for the worst. Cold weather is good for quilting.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    I am so sorry for ALL of you. Where I am in So CA, we had 2 weeks of fall and 1 week of winter and it was back to summer again. Poor trees and flowers were really mixed up. Getting real tired of 90 degree weather !!
    I don't suppose you have room for a house guest for 3-4 months starting around December 20?!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I'm afraid we're due for a bad winter -- we have had a couple of years of mild winters and now we live where there is no generator. Hope things aren't too bad.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

We're just hoping to get all the hay cut and baled before it snows! We have a horrible snow storm October 4 last year and as cool as it is getting now we could have snow earlier! I'm prepared -- I have lots of sewing projects ready!

Blog Entries
    Here in southern Ontario the trees have been turning for weeks now and the birds are already heading to warmer climates. I love the Fall but winter last year was brutal, my DH has a 2 hour commute to work each way- not looking forward to that. I plan to hunker down and spend the winter in my studio- 2 big projects (a Mariner's Compass and Farmer's Wife) as well as lots of other things to keep me busy.
    'He cannot be a gentleman which loveth not a dog' -John Northbrooke
    Try to be as nice a person as your dog thinks you are.

Blog Entries
    The Cicadas are singin' away, you can sort of feel the Autumn in the air and yes, we heard that Minnesota is going to be worse than last year. Mercy!!!!!!!!

I get this "thing" in August and September. We call it the squirreling thing! We start collecting food for the freezer or the cupboard for the long cold winters, my sister is in Wisconsin and she is freezing peppers and salsa that she has made. I am waiting for my Sweet Dumpling squash to get ready to pick. I have a "cat pantry" in the basement where it is nice and cool and that is where I keep my squash, potatoes and other veggies I can carry over for part of the winter.

My main problem now is who am I going to get to do my shoveling. My husband was the world's best shoveler and I learned from him to do it right (yes, there is a right way to shovel snow) and no one else can do it like my husband did or I do and I just can't shovel the deep snows anymore. I-2 inches is fine, but heavy wet snow is out of the question. I am kind of looking forward to winter, but not the cold and the snow. I am going to miss my new deck and my rocking chairs out there to sit and sew, but I'll do that inside for five months. I want to do a little traveling before the white stuff comes. Oh yah - I was watching the squirrels in the pin oak on the boulevard and they are stripping the leaves off and picking the acorns off the tree and leaving the shells for us to clean up. Hard on dogs feet. But I am 'specting that they realize that there may be an early winter.

I remember the WINTER OF 1992 (you have to say that with a loud deep voice) when it snowed on Hallowe'en and didn't stop until Easter. We had snow to the top of our clothesline pole. Not a fun winter - but you should have seen all the Hallowe'en candy when all the snow melted!!!!!! That whole winter was sort of reminiscent of Little House on the Prairie when Pa had a rope tied from the house to the barn so they didn't get lost in a Minnesota winter!!!!!!! Well, we all talk like this during September and October - we survive the snow and the shoveling and we say "This is the worst winter we have ever had. I had never in my life (76 years) seen a Luna Moth caterpillar and this year have seen two of them, collected one and it is cocooned out on the porch and as it gets colder, I will put it in the fridge and it should burst from the cocoon this coming Spring.

We will find something on TV like Survivor or something to look forward to that will take us through December, and then the Super Bowl and then seed picking out for Spring plantings and before you know it, we will be there again. All wide-eyed and bushy-tailed because we made it through another winter.

I have a little poem here; I have it tacked to my desk and I just love it:

"I meant to do my work today --
    but a brown bird sang in the apple tree,
    and a butterfly flitted across the field,
    and all the leaves were calling me,
    and the wind went sighing over the land,
    tossing the grasses to and fro,
    and a rainbow held out its shining hand -
    so what could I do but laugh and go."
    Richard LeGalllienne

So, I guess, we make hay while the sun shines,eh? - High in the upper 80's today...........Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast