Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: irons and wattage

irons and wattage

came across this about irons and amount of electric use http://vickisfabriccreations.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Interesting. I actually like the automatic shut-off feature on my old Rowenta, although I know many quilters do not like it. Mine shuts off after about 3 minutes of non-use.

That was good information. I had no idea having the iron on that long would be like running a floor heater. Thanks for the info.

Just last weekend I was looking up info to try and find out how much it costs me to run the iron for an hour. I did my husband's shirts, rather than spend the money at the dry cleaners. Many years ago I happened to run into the meter man as he was checking our meter and he told me that any heating appliance draws more electricity. Last weekend I was just trying to find out if it's worth the time and effort to do my husbands' dress shirts. I do a better job than some of the cleaners and I don't leave that shine on the collars.

CINDYA, you're a good wife! My husband knows better than to ask. And he wears dress shirts every day to work. I will do it if it's really badly wrinkled. And I too can do it better than the cleaners!

I had no idea that irons used so much energy. I better not plug in anything else in there.
    Lori

Blog Entries
    Good article. I am going to check the wattage on mine. I don't like the auto shut off irons but that may be the way to go for me.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

My newest Black and Decker shuts off way too fast and takes more time to get back to steaming. I don't like it and went back to the old Black and Decker classic with no shut off. That's a lot of energy though. I'll have to look for another alternative.
    Debra

I bought this sweet little iron on Amazon and I love it. I use it on a tray table beside my sewing machine when piecing so I don't have to jump up and down to use my "big iron." It is plenty hot and works great. I hadn't even considered the savings on the lower wattage, but that's another plus.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Being a great quilter is 5% talent and 95% pushing yourself away from the internet!

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    Interesting. I actually like the automatic shut-off feature on my old Rowenta, although I know many quilters do not like it. Mine shuts off after about 3 minutes of non-use.
    I use to drive an old girlfriend because I always turned off my iron after using it. I knew how much an iron draws. I still stack up items that need to be ironed and then do it all at once. I LOVE my Rowenta iron because sometimes I DO FORGET to turn it off. I NOW have a light plug in so when the iron is on, so is the overhead light.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

That has a lot to do with why I went to a smaller iron and I do turn it on and off if I have much time between ironing. Smaller iron is lower wattage.

Early in our marriage my DH complained that he didn't like how I was ironing his uniform shirts. I handed him the iron and haven't ironed any thing for him in 35 years.
    Most of the ironing I do is for making quilts and sometimes my cotton blouses.
    Sharon