Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Jack will wear stripes and have a number >

Jack will wear stripes and have a number

Jack will wear stripes and have a number

Old 05-05-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by luvnquilt
DON'T lock him in the bathroom. When my corgi was a puppy we used the bathroom as her "kennel" by putting a baby gate at the door. One day (the night before my Father-in-law passed away no less) she chewed through the water line that led to the toilet. We came home to spraying water. It was on the 2nd floor and the water ran through the air ducts down to the bottom floor. It was 11:00 at night but we still went to the neighbor and woke him up to borrow his shop vac. thank goodness for good friends !! If you don't already have it, get one of the older style kennels with the plastic body and metal bar "windows" and door for the dog. that may contain him better and not allow him to reach things outside the cage.
The same thing happened to us!! Years back I put Teki in the bathroom when I went to work. Came home to water showering all over....shower curtain chewed, soft toilet seat chewed, everything under the bathroom sink drug out and chewed, floor messed up, door messed up, toilet paper all over and wet. Not a good idea! I WAS SOOOOOO Mad! Didn't stay mad long-I loved that dog and miss him terribly. :(

Good luck with your lil challenge doggie. ;)
Old 05-05-2011, 09:30 AM

I am wondering if perhaps one of those"Thundershirts" would give him a "safe" feeling. If you go to the website or call them., maybe they could help. Possible he is afaid of being left alone, is he ok otherwise?
Old 05-05-2011, 09:41 AM

I had me one of those Houdini Dogs he could get out of the latched carry tote -greet us at the door full of kisses and hugs the box is still latched and the house was shredded my Mom said 'if he does that much damage locked up you may as well leave him free when your gone ' damn I hate it when Moms right -Brat never got locked up again and the house never recieved any more damage and he still greeted us with hugs and kisses every day
Old 05-05-2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by gunny148
When i lived in New York we had a toy poodle we learnd that they can have issues about being locked up in a cage, she destroyed the carpet where she sat...
Speaking of dogs...how are the puppies doing? How is "Bob"...need pictures!
Old 05-05-2011, 11:28 AM

What a stinker!! He has your number! Got to love em, though.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

Such a naughty boy! He sure knows how to get your attention!!
Old 05-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by luvnquilt
About the kong which is a great idea by the way, if you fill it with peanut butter, it gives them something to do that is yummy and rewarding (some people hide a treat under the peanut butter). giving him something rewarding for being a good boy while he's in his crate will make it fun for him and he won't use that time to be destructive.
This was the only toy that my dear late Chesepeake could not destroy in 5 minutes. She also loved to try to get the peanut butter out of it. She really liked the rope toys, but she would put your foot on one end, and grab the other in her mouth and she would yank. Rrrrrriiiiiipppppp! Didn't last long.

On the other hand, I needed to dig up a dead tree. I yanked, and shoveled, and yanked. I didn't get it out of the ground until she grabbed a branch in her mouth and helped me pull. She was strong.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by bluteddi
sounds like she has a bit of separation anxiety...I have no suggestions, prehaps speak to your vet? He may have some suggestions...

good luck
Find a talk radio station, and leave it on when you are not home. Sometimes that is all it takes, just the sound of a voice.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Power Poster

My last two toy poodles were 6-9 weeks old when I bought them and we worked 11 hours per day. They would have never thought to be bad in their all plastic carrying cages. I gave them a treat and they didn't care if I left or not. They slept in them at night also and anytime we left the house. It was their safe haven, it was also a safe place for them when they were pups. I do leave a radio on a talk station when were aren't home.
I was not going to replace anything because I had a soft heart and decided to get pets.
I hope you can find a good solution.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:02 PM

By your description I can just picture him on your lap and gazing into your eyes and saying, "I love you." I am really LOL!