Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Jack will wear stripes and have a number >

Jack will wear stripes and have a number

Jack will wear stripes and have a number

Old 05-05-2011, 05:46 AM

I just learned yesterday on here about thundershirts. Go here and check out the video. I think it is worth a try.

http://www.thundershirt.com/
Old 05-05-2011, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by kwhite
I just learned yesterday on here about thundershirts. Go here and check out the video. I think it is worth a try.

http://www.thundershirt.com/
I think my dog would eat that. But it's intriguing, for sure. Hm...

ETA, I really like Dr. Grandin, too. I might have to order one of these just to see!
Old 05-05-2011, 06:03 AM

Think how you'd feel if locked in a crate for hours while your family "abandoned" you!

Ask your Vet for some "chemical help" for your little one.

A little sedation along with enlightened training should help the problem immensely.

I have had "second Hand Dogs for over 35 years and never encountered this type of problem, except during thunder storms. My dogs have the run of the entire house.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:11 AM

I would give Jack 3 1/2 minutes and it would be in shreds. It is a good idea, tho - maybe I could start out by making him a quilted version? haha.-nawwwwwww maybe not.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:12 AM

I think it is worth a try. I thought about making something like that too. What do you have to lose?

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
I would give Jack 3 1/2 minutes and it would be in shreds. It is a good idea, tho - maybe I could start out by making him a quilted version? haha.-nawwwwwww maybe not.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:09 AM
TMK

Originally Posted by JulieR
Ooh, yes. Parker was our little escape artist / re-decorator in the beginning. She would kick out the tray at the bottom of the crate, then scoot (or roll - yes, roll) herself around the kitchen. She managed to get out once by rolling until the crate was upside-down, at which time she could get the latches unhinged.

My husband basically bolted the tray to the bottom of the crate and that stopped any traveling. She still destroys anything we leave in there with her (or that she can pull inside) but that, we can live with. For now.
Oh, momma.....how could you be upset with "that" face. I have a Beagle too and I just can't resist those big eyes and oh, so soft, ears. We are such slaves.......
Old 05-05-2011, 07:20 AM

About the kong which is a great idea by the way, if you fill it with peanut butter, it gives them something to do that is yummy and rewarding (some people hide a treat under the peanut butter). giving him something rewarding for being a good boy while he's in his crate will make it fun for him and he won't use that time to be destructive.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:26 AM

I would also suggest getting one of the old fashioned crates that has solid sides, then put the dog in the crate while you are at home 9will train him that it is not a bad thing) and if he behaves well while in it (20 to 30 minutes) reward with a treat and letting him out. There are books on dog psychology out there that explain separation anxiety so you might want to pick one up.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:30 AM

http://www.mybestbuddydogtraining.com/
Don't know if this is allowed but on there she has free downloads one of which is Home Alone.
I know Robin. I have seen her work with dogs. She is amazing but she is far from you so I can't push her business just her free downloads. :-)
No jerking,no pulling, no other rough stuff all positive training.
I had a foster poodle that hated being in a crate so he was never crated. But he was also mostly blind and deaf. Just stressed him out too much. Someone else mentioned they need to be crate trained from puppyhood. Its much easier then.
I can see where the dog would be a little anxious when you left if he had been dumped. Can you imagine how he felt?

It is possible to crate train an older dog but it takes time and patience. Leaving the crate up , using treats or some other thing they love like a favorite toy etc. Lots and lots of patience. :-)
Old 05-05-2011, 08:42 AM

BuT, Mom and Dad I missed you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much.