Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Jan 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! - the winners were Jholm and Purplemem >

Jan 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! - the winners were Jholm and Purplemem

Jan 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! - the winners were Jholm and Purplemem

Old 01-14-2012, 06:58 AM

Yrs ago,I was asked to join a group of WW members from a club we belonged to. Couldn't join because money was tight.Was told later,this group had been members for like 10-15 yrs & celebrated after each meeting by going to a buffet restaurant.None ever lost...or at least you counld't notice. Think this is fairly common,as I've hear other ppl mention same "celebrations"on a wkly basis

Your table runner is very nice.Looks complicated.

QUOTE=irishrose;4872755]MJ, I think you'll enjoy WW - just don't go out for hot fudge sundaes afterwards. My youngest daughter is a server in a nicer restraurant. There is a group that 'celebrates' every Monday after the meeting with food L doesn't consider WW fare. She says their sizes never seem to change. H-m-m. Is there a correlation? No, she has never used names so I don't know who they are.

I didn't know blood changed consistency that quickly. You really are on a roller coaster, aren't you? Take care, J

Wishing y'all a healthy eating day tomorrow. I'm having dinner at a Smokehouse. I hope the pulled pork is good. A pulled pork sandwich with no bun and a salad will do it for me.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-14-2012, 07:52 AM

Has anyone here heard of T.O.P.S.? they are much more cost effective, they're like 30 for the year for joining the national and they said the local fees are usually around 5 a month
Old 01-14-2012, 07:57 AM

"If you want to meet a goal, you must have a plan. Failure to plan means planning to fail." Wow, MJ, that one resonates here, too. Does that mean if I stop 'winging it' as far as my eating and housework go, I could finish up having a slim body and an uncluttered house?

Sewing today will involve a seam ripper. I don't like the way the colors are going together on a Prayers and Squares quilt I started last night. Then I will have to sew with squares instead of strip piecing, darn it. First I need to shop. I haven't looked at the ads, but I know Glen's has whole chickens for $.84 a pound, so I need at least 10 for the dogs. The way food prices are increasing, my menu revolves around what's on sale. Then it's dinner at the Chase Creek Smokehouse. It looks like I will have clear roads. I've been alone 11 years and I still don't like the idea of traveling by myself at night. I actually don't mind it once I'm on the road.

I AM regaining contol of my weight and getting healthier.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Short an Sweet View Post
Has anyone here heard of T.O.P.S.? they are much more cost effective, they're like 30 for the year for joining the national and they said the local fees are usually around 5 a month
I was a member of the local TOPS group and did not do well. I didn't like the attitude (no, we're not discussing MY attitude!) as I felt they were too light-hearted. It seemed a game to these members and I didn't see much losses.

However, that said, I was a member of a different TOPS group that did very well. I lost on that occasion and went to the National programs and participated. The cost here is $30 to join, then $5 a month, then $1 a week or more on "fees" for different contests, etc.

Our local group here disbanded a few months ago, I heard. I have a friend in a local group that is 30 miles away, but I figured once I added the gas money I was paying $12 a week either way...I also realized the method I was using for weight loss was NOT working and I needed a different view!
Old 01-14-2012, 08:19 AM

Thank you for the input, so if the group I was thinking of joining doesnt work for me , don't give up, try a different group? There r 5 different groups within 5 - 15 miles from my house
Originally Posted by purplemem View Post
I was a member of the local TOPS group and did not do well. I didn't like the attitude (no, we're not discussing MY attitude!) as I felt they were too light-hearted. It seemed a game to these members and I didn't see much losses.

However, that said, I was a member of a different TOPS group that did very well. I lost on that occasion and went to the National programs and participated. The cost here is $30 to join, then $5 a month, then $1 a week or more on "fees" for different contests, etc.

Our local group here disbanded a few months ago, I heard. I have a friend in a local group that is 30 miles away, but I figured once I added the gas money I was paying $12 a week either way...I also realized the method I was using for weight loss was NOT working and I needed a different view!
Old 01-14-2012, 08:31 AM

short
Yes, if the group you are attending isn't working try a different one. Your national dues are good at any location; I believe they send you a membership number and card in the mail.

I also think that you can attend one meeting for free and I suggest you do so. Also, WW does the same option and I suggest you also do the same with them. It will definitely be an interesting comparison.

TOPS has some Yahoo groups and WW has a message board like this one. I joined both, but WW is way more active. On the WW group I am in a sub-group for diabetics which is also helpful.

My local pharmacy offers diabetic nutrition classes, check with yours and your local hospitals. My hospital has a diabetic support group that meets monthly for free, offers nutrition tips, and has rotating speakers for related topics.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:07 AM
mim

I didn't even notice Fri 13 until it was mentioned this morning. We lose track of time here -- If it weren't for my quilt group and his bridge -- and fotball on TV I would have no idea of what day it was. The months are easy -- the weather will take care of that -- altho here in Olympia - chilly and rainy seems to last for a very long time .

I seem to have hit a plateau on weight but that is OK -- at least I haven't put any back on. That is also a struggle. You are all an inspitation
Mim
Old 01-14-2012, 01:20 PM

I told my husband that I have figured out how to get in my 10,000 steps a day!! I have been wearing a pedometer for the last 3 days to see how many steps I take in a normal day, so far I have averaged about 8,000 steps (from the time I get out of bed till I go back to bed), today @ 3 pm I am already at 8,600, so the trick is to 1. quit my PT job, because I'm sitting, 2. quit doing housework & 3. SHOP (I went to 4 antique malls today) lol
Old 01-14-2012, 01:27 PM

I haven't been on scales since our DD went thru a rough operation & is still healing.That's ok, as we didn't know if she'd make it,so thank the Lord.
Thinking about diet wasn't on my list of worries....but now we're home & trying to get up my courage to see what the damage is! I can feel my appetite coming on strong, so all advice is welcome.Just before this happened, was down 3 pant sizes......but have been thru it before & know how fast it can come back.Some days I ....*$#% wt !!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2012, 06:37 PM

Plainpat - good to see you back on the thread. You have been through alot. Just take one step at a time and you will come up with your plan to get back on track.

Short--- please find some kind of Diabetic support group to help you since new diagnosis. Good Luck with quiting your PT job, see if there is anyway you can get up and move hourly.

MJ - I know you need to watch what food you eat too as some of the foods can affect the way comudin works.

mim -- i know what you mean about not knowing what day it is. With being out of work, I didn't pay attention except for the days I had doc appointments. and for those I put them in my email calendar with a reminder to pop up 24 hrs in advance. That is my only way of paying attention to days.