Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
January 2013 Weight Loss Adventure with a prize. >

January 2013 Weight Loss Adventure with a prize.

January 2013 Weight Loss Adventure with a prize.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:50 PM

Daisy, I just happened onto this thread, and I myself just started WW's last week, I ready your post about Collard Greens and I was wondering if you would share how you made them WW friendly. I love them but I know making them the ole fashion way won't cut it. Would appreciate it.

Thanks[

QUOTE=Daisy Dew;5797044]Hi Cindy we are all in this together - thank the good Lord for that. The beauty in life are the great highs and the lows only in this way can we appriciate each day knowing we have each other to walk with.

I love shrimp too just had some for dinner last night with a baked sweet potato and my DH found a WW recipe for Collard greens delish didn't think I'd like them but they were really good. I love spinach and the greens were even better only 1point per serving and that was the little bit of olive oil to cook them down with an of course garlic Mmm.

Found a really great treat at Costco "Wild Riceworks" gourmet wildrice crisps sea salt and black sesame. Low in Sat Fat, wheat & gluten free, whole grain brown & wild rice really good 10 crisps 4pts.

Can't wait to weigh in tomorrow and see whats down!
Everyone have a great weekend.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-28-2013, 05:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem View Post
Actually, Mousie, I have not yet figured out how to reduce the size of my pictures. I know it's been a year and I am supposed to be a moderator and help people with this but...... I have only posted a couple of pictures since the changeover and those I pulled off of facebook. I promise, someday, I will learn how to post pictures again.

I just finished getting things put away and have put together a second set of fabrics. I am currently eating lunch, at my computer, and will start cutting after I get some bread started for dinner. DH is home today, but leaves at 6:30 for a meeting. Maybe I will get them both cut out and some sewing in,...... maybe not. Depends on how long I "play" on the computer.
Today is laundry day and I am making some bread to deliver to an older couple, she has metastasized cancer and is going thru Chemo. A couple friends and I made her a quilt and I made some soup last week for them. She ended up in the hospital and I froze the soup. I told them yesterday I would call today and maybe bring it buy with some fresh made bread. They can thaw the soup and have it whenever. She is too weak and sick to cook and he never learned how!
bless you for watching out for your sick friend. I know your a pastor's wife (I think), but you still don't have to.
I have been (in the past), "too sick to cook etc." for a long, long time and my dh ate out a lot bc he just wouldn't try to figure anything out back then.
If I hadn't managed to put a frozen roast in the crockpot and eat off of it for a week I would have starved to death, literally.
I couldn't eat anything he might have brought me, so he didn't.
His cousin says if I get weak and feeble when we are 'old', I am in big trouble. don't remind me!
I can post pictures, I just don't get them developed.
Quilters are busy, busy people and only have so much focus after the big stuff. It's nice hearing about the quilts though.
I can see them in my mind

Last edited by Mousie; 01-28-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:32 PM

I traveled all day from Florida to Wisconsin. Wishing I had stayed longer. Might have helped to stay warm if I had not left my coat in my cousin's car trunk. Good thing I have other coats. I brought back some lemons I picked from my aunt's tree. They are huge! I see a lot of lemon water in my future. Support stockings have changed my opinion on traveling. No more swollen legs, ankles and feet. I hear rain and wondering if I will wake up to a frozen world. Wondering what the scales will tell me in the morning. I got a lot of exercise and ate pretty healthy. So many fresh fruits and veggies. No sewing for me this week except maybe a new valance for my kitchen window. My house needs some serious attention. I've been letting everything slide for far too long.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:08 AM

I should try the lemon water. I have a lemon tree in my yard, and an orange, which is not very sweet and a huge lime tree that we get thousands of limes that go in the garbage most of the time.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 05:40 PM

Welcome back Pam H. We leave for Texas tomorrow...weather permitting! We're looking at the weather that is on the way and may leave on Thursday. Hope you enjoyed the Fl weather!
Old 01-29-2013, 06:05 PM

Yum. Lemon, orange or lime water! Soo good! Good in am with hot water for digestive tract. Keeps things moving along.
Pam, sounds like a nice trip. Cold ice and snow coming back to upper michigan too! Sounds like you did great getting exercise and eating right. I wear the support socks a lot. Makes my legs feel better, not ache so bad. Those are the ones as seen on tv at walmart, no swelling either!

Didnt win as ive only down 2- 3 lbs this month. Ill take it thought! Hope it continues usually just keep losing\ gaining same 3 lbs!:-D
Stay warm all!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem View Post
Ok, I have a mess today!!! My nephew at Thanksgiving asked me to make a quilt that could be auctioned off to raise funds for his church choir for the tour they are going on this summer. I don't remember when the auction is, maybe March or April. Anyway, I said yes but would need a reminder after Christmas cause I was too busy.
I have not received the reminder but thought I should get started on it. I have a pattern to use that I have used twice before, calls for 8 FQ's, 1 yd inner border/sashing (sort of) and 1 yard outer border.
I pulled every one of my Asian fabrics ( I have a few) trying to decide what to do. Yesterday and last night I had no inspiration. I think I have the ones now that I am using, it is some of the ones I got from our Secret Santa. The problem is I now have fabric totally covering my sewing desk, my cutting table and ironing board and the floor in front of my ironing board. I decided to re-arrange my fabric cabinets a little so that my Asian fabrics will be (mostly) together. It's going to take me a while to get this all put back together just so I have room to sew!!!!
Maybe I should pick out a second set and make 2 tops and which ever turns out better I will send to my nephew and the other will be here for someone who may need a quilt hug in the future.
Well, better get to work!!!
I would LOVE to see your oriental stash! I love oriental fabric! Made everyone in family a type of oriental quilt for where do you get ideas to use them at? Need new ideas! Did do Imperial Gardens not too long ago.. love to see pictures!!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:07 PM

I found that you can freeze lemons, and limes by slicing them, put them on a cookie sheet with parchment paper single layer, freeze then put them in a zip lock bag. It is a good way to keep them from going bad or to waste.

Welcome back Pam, glad you enjoyed your trip

Fancy Nancy enjoy your trip, what part of texas are you heading too?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:51 PM

Cindy, I haven't heard of freezing them that way. Sounds easy enough. These lemons are as big as grapefruit so I don't know if that would work. My mom squeezes the juice and then freezes it in ice cube trays. I squeezed out 1 cup of juice today. I'll have to figure out what to do with these. Does anyone know how long lemons last in the fridge? Maybe a couple of weeks?
Old 01-29-2013, 08:13 PM

it work great for the lemon water, ice tea, and for baking, you pull it out of the freezer and add to what you are making. They also showed the lemons sliced in the wedges as you get for your ice tea at resturants. I found it interesting as my lemons usually go bad before I get them all used.