Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: January 2014 Weight loss Adventure with a PRIZE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by toverly View Post
    I am in! After going thru all the emails from WW, and deleting them, knowing I had to start again anyway and download the new app, I thought, I am going to look over QB before I do that and here y'all are! Yeah! Motivation and support I need. I am looking forward to joining y'all.
    Welcome aboard. This is a fun group, we share everything here from ups downs, quilting and whatever else may be going on in our life.

We all need the support and encouragment.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

"My day is not complete until I play with fabric in some manner......whether be sewing, cutting or just fondling for a new project."

I am in again. I must do better this year!!!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Blog Entries
    I am in again. I have got to get back with it to start this year off right. I am like others during the holidays, because it was so hard not eating goodies that I shouldn't have with Christmas, my husband's birthday right on that day, and my son's birthday the 21st, and one more birthday to go for my daughter in law on Jan 2. I will be keeping on track on that day if I can at all. I feel over flowing too with to many sweets. I have me some good food now, and for a sweet, I bought some sweet potatoes which are healthier. I love sweet potatoes. I am going to say a prayer today for all of us to be and get healthy if we are not already. I have lupus, sjogren's, diabetes, fibromyalgia etc. so I have plenty of reasons to be doing better for myself, and my family. I know others also have health issues, and I understand how hard it is to do the right things. At least we keep on keeping on. Welcome to the new people who have come to join us.

Happy New Year!!!
    Last edited by JuneBillie; 01-01-2014 at 01:12 PM. Reason: So many misspellings.
    "Sometimes it's OK if the only thing you did today was breathe."
    Good friends are right there with you.

Susan

I'm in too!!

I'm in again. I sent you a pm. I'll get my FQ's together and get them sent. I joined my weight loss program last year on Jan. 1st. I lost 45 lbs. but over Christmas have gained about 5lbs. back. Time to get serious again. Looking forward to cheering everyone on. We can do this. Yay team!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Irish-Twins View Post
    I'm in too!!
    Welcome aboard the adventrue Irish-Twins.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

"My day is not complete until I play with fabric in some manner......whether be sewing, cutting or just fondling for a new project."

I was given a journal for Christmas along with a daily devotionaly book by Joyce Meyers. I believe that I will use the journal to log my food, exercise, water intake, etc to see how I am doing.

I do find that when I keep a close track on what I am doing, I stay in better control. Everyone will find what works for them.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

Blog Entries
    It is kinda depressing that I can spend a month behaving myself and only lose a pound or 2. I have spent the last month totally out of control with my eating and only gained 1 pound. I have eaten so much junk I feel gross.
    I need to get back to my journal too. I do so much better when I write it all down so I can see what is good and what is bad. If I don't write everything down I lie to myself about what is going into my mouth. I so need to exercise too. My knees are killing me. I have been taking medication more and more. I do not want to do a knee replacement.
    Christmas season is always a hard time for weight loss. We all need to get back on the wagon and put healthy food into our mouths.
    Good luck and good eating to everyone.

Healthy dieting and weight loss tip #1: Avoid common pitfalls

Diets, especially fad diets or “quick-fix” pills and plans, often set you up for failure because:

• You feel deprived. Diets that cut out entire groups of food, such as carbs or fat, are simply impractical, not to mention unhealthy. The key is moderation.
    • You lose weight, but can’t keep it off. Diets that severely cut calories, restrict certain foods, or rely on ready-made meals might work in the short term but don’t include a plan for maintaining your weight, so the pounds quickly come back.
    • After your diet, you seem to put on weight more quickly. When you drastically restrict your food intake, your metabolism will temporarily slow down. Once you start eating normally, you’ll gain weight until your metabolism bounces back.
    • You break your diet and feel too discouraged to try again. When diets make you feel deprived, it’s easy to fall off the wagon. Healthy eating is about the big picture. An occasional splurge won’t kill your efforts.
    • You lose money faster than you lose weight. Special shakes, meals, and programs are not only expensive, but they aren’t practical for long-term weight loss.
    • You feel lost when dining out. If the food served isn’t on your specific diet plan, what can you do?
    • The person on the commercial lost 30 lbs. in two months—and you haven’t.Diet companies make a lot of grandiose promises, and most are simply unrealistic.

http://helpguide.org/life/healthy_weight_loss.htm
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

Healthy eating tip 2: Moderation is key

People often think of healthy eating as an all or nothing proposition, but a key foundation for any healthy diet is moderation. But what is moderation? How much is a moderate amount? That really depends on you and your overall eating habits. The goal of healthy eating is to develop a diet that you can maintain for life, not just a few weeks or months, or until you've hit your ideal weight. So try to think of moderation in terms of balance. Despite what certain fad diets would have you believe, we all need a balance of carbohydrates, protein, fat, fiber, vitamins, and minerals to sustain a healthy body.
    For most of us, moderation or balance means eating less than we do now. More specifically, it means eating far less of the unhealthy stuff (refined sugar, saturated fat, for example) and more of the healthy (such as fresh fruit and vegetables). But it doesn't mean eliminating the foods you love. Eating bacon for breakfast once a week, for example, could be considered moderation if you follow it with a healthy lunch and dinner—but not if you follow it with a box of donuts and a sausage pizza. If you eat 100 calories of chocolate one afternoon, balance it out by deducting 100 calories from your evening meal. If you're still hungry, fill up with an extra serving of fresh vegetables.

• Try not to think of certain foods as “off-limits.” When you ban certain foods or food groups, it is natural to want those foods more, and then feel like a failure if you give in to temptation. If you are drawn towards sweet, salty, or unhealthy foods, start by reducing portion sizes and not eating them as often. Later you may find yourself craving them less or thinking of them as only occasional indulgences.
    • Think smaller portions. Serving sizes have ballooned recently, particularly in restaurants. When dining out, choose a starter instead of an entree, split a dish with a friend, and don't order supersized anything. At home, use smaller plates, think about serving sizes in realistic terms, and start small. If you don't feel satisfied at the end of a meal, try adding more leafy green vegetables or rounding off the meal with fresh fruit. Visual cues can help with portion sizes–your serving of meat, fish, or chicken should be the size of a deck of cards, a slice of bread should be the size of a CD case, and half a cup of mashed potato, rice, or pasta is about the size of a traditional light bulb.
    • Name:  harvard-healthy-eating-plate (700x547).jpg
Views: 91
Size:  98.6 KB

http://helpguide.org/life/healthy_eating_diet.htm
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

Here is one I received in my email today from MyPlate.com.

Jeans feeling a little snug from the holiday season? With all of the goodies and gatherings it’s understandable. Getting back to a healthy lifestyle is all about balancing calories and physical activity. SuperTracker can give you a personalized plan and let you set your own goals. Check it out:
    https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/myplan.aspx
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

So when I want to snack, I sew. Could be a big sewing year! Good luck everyone. Createfourpaws, FQ's are on their way.

Blog Entries
    Thank You for the link. I went and signed up. There is a lot of good info there.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Due to weather, I know some of the mailings of FQ's may be late. I am more concerned for your safety. Mail when you can. All I ask is you let me know when they are mailed if you are delayed by the weather.

You are welcome for the link. I have found them to be helpful also.

I will be doing a big shopping this weekend, and cooking Saturday and Sunday for next week. I find that if I bring my food to work for me since I work till 8 pm cst, I don't eat so late when I bring my dinner with me. Which in turns also helps me from the late night eating and going to be with a full stomach, causing weight gain.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

Cindy, my skinny quarters are mailed for three months (with some $), but think they were mailed before the weather got real bad, but know you'll let me know when they arrive. Great hints and ideas posted so far. Do you still want Taboo Tuesdays? k
    Kathleen

Live today as if it may be your last, for who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by Vanogay View Post
    Cindy, my skinny quarters are mailed for three months (with some $), but think they were mailed before the weather got real bad, but know you'll let me know when they arrive. Great hints and ideas posted so far. Do you still want Taboo Tuesdays? k
    If you can still do the Taboo Tuesdays would be great. I will let you know when they arrive.

With so many new people joining us, I figured we all could use some reminders and good advice.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

Blog Entries
    I'm baaaaaaaack! Just can't get rid of a bad penny, lol! My weight has increased without you all, so here i go again! (plus, i found a pattern for a faux cathedral old jeans quilt, so now i need some " old" jeans!) i have just signed up for ww online. Has anyone done this? I'd love some pointers and advice. Tia!
    Cindy, you won't believe this, but i need your address, please! Lovely seeing familiar friends from the past, and looking forward to getting to know the newest members!
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by nancia View Post
    I'm baaaaaaaack! Just can't get rid of a bad penny, lol! My weight has increased without you all, so here i go again! (plus, i found a pattern for a faux cathedral old jeans quilt, so now i need some " old" jeans!) i have just signed up for ww online. Has anyone done this? I'd love some pointers and advice. Tia!
    Cindy, you won't believe this, but i need your address, please! Lovely seeing familiar friends from the past, and looking forward to getting to know the newest members!
    I just sent you a PM
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

Blog Entries
    I am trying to be on a fabric diet this year in addition to the food diet. My stash is crazy. So today on facebook I followed a link to a new fabric line by Robert Kaufman called lumina. OMG I so need it. THe only reason I didn't order it was I want to check the LQS before I buy online. The only place I found it was Hancocks of Paducah. Beautiful colors.
    We are having the family party tomorrow for my DH family. It really annoys me because they will tell me they are coming and not come. Some will never RSVP and show up. I can vary by as many as 15 people either way on who shows up. It could be up to about 55 people. I usually try to have something in the refrigerator or freezer I can warm up quickly if I need to. After the party I am throwing all of the goodies away.
    We got about 7 or 8 inches of snow yesterday. I shoveled the driveway yesterday , it was really heavy because there was slush underneath. We might get 8 more inches Sunday night. Woo Hoo! snow day for me and DH plows and makes good money. The high here Monday is -2. Maybe a sewing day Monday. I want to do the Medallion group on here. I need a center block.

I've done really well today with my food choices. I also have gotten almost all my water in for the day.
    We are expecting rain turning into snow on Sunday. I've had trouble all day getting warm. Glad to see so many new ones joining us. It really does help to have someone on your side who knows what you are going through with weight loss.

Good Morning ladies.....here is my tip for today.

Make a resolution to cook at home more often for the next 30 days. Then YOU are in charge of what you eat and you know exactly what you are eating. http://www.choosemyplate.gov/weight-management-calories/weight-management/better-choices/cook-home.html
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

I'm going to plan meals out more frequently this year. It's really bad how often we end up bringing something in or going out just because I haven't planned ahead. Last night I made roasted veges and we all love that. But it does take time to chop the veges. I spent almost an hour chopping. I'm asking for a food processor for my birthday (later this month) so hopefully healthy home cooked meals won't take as long. While I was at it, I pulled out a small Tupperware and threw some of the chopped veges in it so that it's ready for snacking on.

I fell on the ice when I went out to run a couple of errands this morning. I'm not hurt but I think I'll be sore by tonight. We're expecting a little more bad weather tonight but tomorrow it's supposed to get warmer and the guys can get out and try to clear the driveway. It needs to be done pretty early in the day because it goes into shade by early afternoon and starts freezing up again. I have book club coming Thursday evening. I'd feel awful if anyone falls trying to get in.

One of my errands was to the LQS to get my skinny quarters for the next three months. I love them - so I need to win them all back!! They're in today's mail, Cindy.

Here's to healthy choices in 2014!!

Blog Entries
    Hope you are ok Cindy A. That smarts.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

I'm off my diet!!! My fabric diet that it! I'd written in the Dec thread that I had declared a fabric moratorium a few years ago. I wanted to work on using up what I had, then putting a dent in my scrap bin. Mission accomplished- I went to make a few things for Christmas & realized that I didn't have a lot left to choose from. I bought some fabric just because I liked it today for the first time in a long time. And it felt SO good!

Be careful out there CindyA! That ice can be treacherous! My sister took a bad fall in her driveway a few years ago & broke her ankle badly. I'm glad you weren't hurt. This is my first winter in OH after 21 years in Southern California & I'm trying to be very careful. And what a winter so far! We have about a foot of snow on the ground & more on the way.

As for today's tip, I do cook most of our meals. Always have. We always ate meals together when the kids were growing up. I felt that the family dinner time was important. So, although I know I am not eating much in the way of processed foods, I do need to up my veggie intake & adjust my portions. I need to drink more water too. A few things to work on this month.

Well last night I forgot to announce our December Winner. Drum Roll!!!!!!

The winner with 7 lbs lost is QuilterMomma.

Congratulations.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast