Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • July 2011 Weight Loss Winner is Quiltin Chris! >
  • July 2011 Weight Loss Winner is Quiltin Chris!

• July 2011 Weight Loss Winner is Quiltin Chris!

Old 07-23-2011, 07:59 PM

Missy the quilt is beautiful! Boy you are fast! I don't seem to ever get anything finished. I am trying to change that though, I wrote earlier about how I had almost finished my own peaceful sewing room that was going to be my own get away all to myself, when I ended up giving it up to a young man who needed a place to stay because things were so bad for him at his moms and dads homes. Well I decided on plan B. I am going to try to do something with my laundry room. It is not my first choice at all, there is only one small window to the east and everyone has to walk through it to get to the family room and bedroom I gave up. My dh just put the last of the drywall up today and will tape and texture it this week. It has a sink and cabinets on the east wall were the washer and dryer are because the people who owned our house before us had made an apartment for their daughter down there and had a kitchen down there, and it has a large closet that my dh put shelves in. It is not finish yet and the floors are still cement but I got some ideas from here on the board and he put alot of outlets waist high on the two walls he did today. It is not what I was planning a few months ago but I decided to make this change a good thing and find the positive in it. So....instead of thinking I am having to sew in the laundry room I have decided that I am very lucky because I have a washer and dryer in my quilting room! LOL

I am trying to come up with some ideas to make this room relaxing and a place I enjoy being, so I was wondering if any of you have any ideas of things I can do or add to this room to make it a nice place to spend time. I know you are all very creative ladies so any ideas would be appriciated.
    Old 07-23-2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
    Originally Posted by nancia
    missy, ok. my bedroom is a mossy green, i've used dark purple a little red and a touch of yellow, and of course, brown which goes with everything, including my dog, kitten. any original design is fine. just have at it and enjoy! our bed is queensize. bless your heart, and thank you very much! <3
    Here you go Nancia!! Whatcha think?

Missy
    Is this the 'card trick' pattern?
    Old 07-23-2011, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rita's mom
    Missy the quilt is beautiful! Boy you are fast! I don't seem to ever get anything finished. I am trying to change that though, I wrote earlier about how I had almost finished my own peaceful sewing room that was going to be my own get away all to myself, when I ended up giving it up to a young man who needed a place to stay because things were so bad for him at his moms and dads homes. Well I decided on plan B. I am going to try to do something with my laundry room. It is not my first choice at all, there is only one small window to the east and everyone has to walk through it to get to the family room and bedroom I gave up. My dh just put the last of the drywall up today and will tape and texture it this week. It has a sink and cabinets on the east wall were the washer and dryer are because the people who owned our house before us had made an apartment for their daughter down there and had a kitchen down there, and it has a large closet that my dh put shelves in. It is not finish yet and the floors are still cement but I got some ideas from here on the board and he put alot of outlets waist high on the two walls he did today. It is not what I was planning a few months ago but I decided to make this change a good thing and find the positive in it. So....instead of thinking I am having to sew in the laundry room I have decided that I am very lucky because I have a washer and dryer in my quilting room! LOL

I am trying to come up with some ideas to make this room relaxing and a place I enjoy being, so I was wondering if any of you have any ideas of things I can do or add to this room to make it a nice place to spend time. I know you are all very creative ladies so any ideas would be appriciated.
    Thank you so much! One thing we did when we were designing and putting together our quilting studio was to make sure the work triangle was the focus and then use the rest of the room to hold the stash, books, mags, and other things. We went to Target and found some fabric baskets to hold some of the stash plus some of our larger quilting tools. Our mats and rulers are hanging on the wall. One thing I would not recommend buying the plastic mini-bolts to fold your fabric on. The reason I say that is because I used one and after refolding the fabric on that I slid the mini-bolt out. So, to spend that much money (which I did on 150 of them) is IMHO not really a good use of our money. Thread is also hanging. I even made a wall hanging with the pockets from men's button down shirts to hold extra blades, rotary cutters and other small but essential things.

I will keep thinking on this and write more about this later.

Missy
    Old 07-23-2011, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Xylie55
    Originally Posted by MissyGirl
    Originally Posted by nancia
    missy, ok. my bedroom is a mossy green, i've used dark purple a little red and a touch of yellow, and of course, brown which goes with everything, including my dog, kitten. any original design is fine. just have at it and enjoy! our bed is queensize. bless your heart, and thank you very much! <3
    Here you go Nancia!! Whatcha think?

Missy
    Is this the 'card trick' pattern?
    Yuppers.

Missy
    Old 07-23-2011, 08:34 PM

I like the pattern in mine, though the colors are a little bright. How did you know I like quilts set on point? Does it have a name?

Rita's mom. I'm drawing a blank, though I would paint it your favorite light color. The wall two of my machines are on now is not a light color. I am losing a lot of light I need to see to quilt - or to unquilt. It seems I'm doing a lot of frog sewing lately - rip-it, rip-it, rip-it.
    Old 07-23-2011, 10:19 PM

Oh,my god!Is there a Dr or a nurse here?I always do our dr-ing around here unless it's really really bad.I took 2 #4ot fish hooks out of Walt's fingers before,went thru all the way.glue-sewed several huge gashes.But tonight was a new one I never saw or had before.My hubby went to take a nap and got up and said he'd bloodied the sheets,well he was getting blood everywhere.I went to clean it up,then he says,it's squirting out like a leaky pipe.Well I go and look,and sure enough,his blood is shooting out of a pin hole and going everywhere.Well I grabbed a babywipe I had in my hand and threw it on it and told him to hold it,then got a pad and put in on really fast and taped it down tight and told him to put lots of pressure on it till it quite.Meantime,I get a bowl of water and start cleaning him up as he had blood everywhere where it sqirted out.I never saw anything like it ever.He must have popped a main artery some how.Anyway,he was fine other than a little shook up,but I never let on it was any big deal of course.Or he would of panicked.But he seemed ok,so I just fixed dinner and then he went to bed.I did however double tape the pad down so it wouldn't fall off.He said he nicked a scab.So I don't know what happened.Any Ideas?At 84 he's thin skinned,and probably just hit the vessle just right to pop the artery.Anyway,it did scare the crap out of me once I saw what it was.Never saw that before tho.
    Old 07-23-2011, 11:41 PM

since i can only afford one piece are you going to color it, embroider, spray paint, nail polish, blood of a thousand persian bad girls? what? i like the design very much. how about another border of a softer green? whatcha think?
    Old 07-23-2011, 11:50 PM

xylie-- the things our dh's put us thru! quick thinking on your part. if you check it in a bit and it hasn't quit bleeding, i'd suggest a trip to the er. also, check to be sure he's not getting bleeding under the skin--it will look puffed up like a large blood blister. please tell me he is not on coumadin!

missy-- are you going to send me the fabric requirements and the directions, puleez?

rita'smom--do you have music? and or tv? a small refrigerator for fruit, veggies and ice for your water? and telephone, so you don't have to jump up to get it/ find it in another room?
    Old 07-24-2011, 02:54 AM

This happened at 6:30pm tonight.No,he's not on coumadin.And they took him off baby asprins 3 yrs ago.So,no blood thinners at all.It quit bleeding after I put the pad on it.And I checked it and couldn't even see the hole.He's got up 2 times already.I did check a couple of times earlier to make sure he was ok and still breathing.He was.In fact he was ok after it happened.I think it just scared us both.And of course I would of took him to the er or called our local fire dept,they would of been here from Winterhaven.With the paramedics.But unless it's really necessary,I don't like that.They keep him 7 hrs and charge $14,000. at the hospital.And everybody we know that's 'old' like that gets the same $14,000 package.No wonder medicare is screwed up.They have to 'rule out' this,and rule out that,when it don't even pertain to what's going on.So,I'd rather put my finger on it and hold it.That stopped it.I was just trying to figure out how he blew an artery out.Cause the blood was shooting out a foot and had a teeny pin sz hole.I thought a little while ago,I should of took his blood pressure pill out of the pm's pills.Well,I'm still checking on him.And I looked just now at the pad and lifted it,and don't see a thing.Not even the hole.But did wrap it up and also put ace bandage on it as it will hold it tight better than tape.Just a fluke I guess.
    Old 07-24-2011, 04:45 AM

Ok,you-tubing tonight,and run across 'Pam Holland" Who is she?I been out of the quilting "world" a while now.I use to be up on all that stuff,and up on all the latest patterns,and names,etc.but then they took PBS off our TV.But,saw her in mexico.{on you-tube}And just wondered who she was.Looks like she travels around a lot.And on Sharon' Schambers channel,she said she was 36 yrs old.If she is,I'm 25.Her kids are grown.She has to be older than that.Don't she?Anybody know?Her hair is salt and pepper like mine,only mine is light brown/dk blond and don't show as much from the sun probably.We only got to 100 yesterday afternoon,but 60% dew point.So soupy out.We didn't go riding last night,for the 1st time in a long time.Anyway,I'm starting to lose again.And looks like our dry {losing weight} spell is over.We are all back to losing weight,some of you are doing great.I am wanting to be 145 by september.No reason why I can't be either.So good job ladies.lets get er done and get this weight off,Glad I finely got some clothes to wear,now I can look a lot better,instead of running around with ropes and pins holding my pants up.LOL!!!