Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
July 2011 Weight Loss Winner is Quiltin Chris! >

July 2011 Weight Loss Winner is Quiltin Chris!

July 2011 Weight Loss Winner is Quiltin Chris!

Old 07-26-2011, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by bjeriann
I don't know what is wrong with me lately. I have done well this month until this weekend. I had lost 10 lbs so far then had a slip Saturday, tried to shake it off and start fresh Sunday. NO - It was like I had to eat everything in sight. I knew as I was doing it that I shouldn't but could not stop. Monday wasn't much better. I stepped on the scale this morning and I gained 6 lbs. I feel so crappy I just want to say to heck with it all and stay fat forever. Today has been better but can't get my head back in the program. I felt like a drug addict getting a fix. Just no control. I don't understand why this happened.
It happened because like you said,you opened the flood gates.In one of my earlier posts,I said,I hate it when I screw up,I have to start all over again.Once I'm going,I'm ok,like you.It's like a alcoholic.If we get off the plan,then ya,we eat everything in sight.I think because we been doing without it,and once you do it,well,1 isn't enough now.I hate starting over.It sucks,but has to be done.Just get back on and get and keep going.I have a deal with myself, I lose 20 pounds,and I reward myself with a steak dinner.It may take 4 months or 6 months,or 6 weeks,But not until then.I do the TV dinners with a green salad.And their breakfasts too.At walmart.Their low calories,low price,and I don't have to worry about what I'm eating or counting calories.Because I know they work.For me anyway.4 yrs ago I was 250,now I'm 157.Almost 100 pounds off.So,don't say that's it.If you do,you will be fat forever.I chose not to be fat any more.And I don't care how long it takes,obviously,I see sawed too along the way too,but got back on and kept going.So,you CAN do it too, if I can.We will conquer this weight issue together.We may have to repost missy's dr thing on why we don't lose.Or how to lose weight.It's in this month's thread.Read her posts.It will answer a lot of your questions.Other than that,like me,just hang in there and begin a new.It's all you can do.But KEEP GOING!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-27-2011, 01:36 AM

I just wrote an article on exercise and weight loss for a blog. What irony!

It reaffirmed what we already know... 11x the desired weight is our calorie goal to lose weight, I want to be under 160 so I should be eating less than 1500 calories a day. Evidently I'm not or I would be losing. Back to myfitnesspal to record every bite again.

Also, exercise is important to move the body out of the "sleep" mode. Even for me, who has little movement available; I need to do SOMETHING every day. So do YOU.

Journal: Why won't I follow my plan? What am I telling myself?

Motivation: The program works IF we work it. Find a workout buddy, someone to coach you. Write down every bite. Work the program!

I AM LOsing weight, albeit very very slowly. [grin]
Old 07-27-2011, 02:12 AM

Good morning friends!

I see most of us are in the same place. Weight bouncing back and forth, frustrated and depressed.

I on top of other issues have an addictive personality. I recovered from alcohol and drug addiction but food is harder. With alcohol you can just not drink anymore but with food you have to eat something to stay alive.

Yesterday DH and I went on a quilt shop hop. What did I do - I bought 2 bags of Russel Stover sugar free chocolate candy to take along. Now here's where my addiction really shows. I don't need that candy to stay alive so why can't I just leave it alone, God only knows. I believe we are all addicts addicted to food. I believe for me I have to start looking at this with the same way I looked at my alcohol and drug use - brutally honestly. I am going to start working a 12 step program similar to Overeaters Annoynomous. However since there are no meetings in my area I am going to use this thread as my meeting. I am going to record every little bit of food I eat and dig out my AA Big Book to read the steps everyday repacing alcohol with food. I hope you don't mind me using this thread that way but I really can't think of any other way to get control of my eating. Those wishing to join me please do. If this is offending anyone please let me know as I don't want to cause problems for others.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:32 AM

Jeanne,
I think this is a great idea. I will encourage and support you every step of the way.

MJ
Old 07-27-2011, 04:33 AM

Happy to listen, read.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:51 AM

It's so hard to stay motivated to lose weight. I can do good for about a month then slip ups happen.

I can stay on tract if:

1) I plan my meals and shop accordingly

2) I record everything I eat with an online nutrition tracking site-like Fitday, mydailyplate, or sparkspeople.

3) I don't watch TV

4) I exercise religously-everyday get my 10,000 steps in + 30 minutes of other exercise-either weight training, pilates, stretching

5) I avoid all eating events- picnics, birthdays, holidays.

Honestly who has that type of diligence? I can keep it up for about 2-4 weeks then I slowly stop doing what I know works.

And then when I do stumble on something yummy I tend to eat way too much. Our work picnic yesterday, someone brought it the most wondeful bakery cookies-6 different variaties-did I have just a bite? No, I eventually had 1 of each and 2 pieces of fried chicken.

I was so on track last month and now I'm stuck, I gaining and losing the same 3 pounds.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:35 AM

You are an inspiration. If I did all of your steps, I think I would be losing more too. I particularly find that planning meals really helps. I am a single person and it is soooo easy to not plan, just grab something that is in the frig or give up and grab a meal at a drive through.

I keep hearing that weight lose is a life style change and I believe it. I used to plan three meals a day for two weeks at a time so I could stretch my food budget for myself and three children. I saved money, ate better and always had food on the table for my family. I have gotten lax because it is "only" me. I need to remind myself that I am important and that saving on that food budget still would have benifits now.

The listing of all food eaten every day sounds so very hard. I am sure I would be good for a few days but then, I would cheat on myself.

Hang on, it sounds like you do get results when you are determined and persistant. I hate those three pounds up and down but eventually they do go away. I saw a number this week on the scale that I have not seen in 6 months and was so excited! Today 2 pounds were back! So, it is hang on and return to my magic number tomorrow.

I'm with you on this loss.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:57 AM

I'm gaining and losing the same 2 pounds that has been bugging me for several months. That 2 I wrote in orange on my calendar is looming bigger by the day. I was the one who gave that assignment and I may be the one who doesn't make it.

Jeanne, we had a OA group here for a while. It fell apart because it was dominated by one person. I learned a lot before that happened. I still have the book - a take off on the AA one with daily entries. As the daughter of an alcoholic, I, too, have an addictive personality. The addition changes as my lifestyle changes, but the addiction to food remains constant. I avoided drugs and alcohol, but compulsive housecleaning was a problem, as was compulsive exercising. Both of those have fallen by the wayside, but being a compulsive overeater will always be with me. My latest non food addiction - buying sewing machines. It has to stop. I can't afford them and I don't have room to store them unless I decorate with them. If I do that, my children will figure out how many there are. It would be easier to stop than explain that.

BTW, Xylie, it was me who gave you my spiel on moderation. It applies to candy, too. If you're going to have candy, have a small amount of the real thing. The fake sugars in sugarfree just leave you wanting more. Real sugar and real fat is much more satisfying, so you can have a smaller amount. Decide how much you're going to have in a 24 hour period and isolate that amount.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life. I can decide what to do with it! Judy
Old 07-27-2011, 09:37 AM

I went digging through my books and found my dailey devotional from Hazelton for overeaters and some OA stuff to. I brought it all out to have right next to where I sit in the family room.

Went to church with my girlfriend this morning to assemble bulletins. We also walked for 20 minutes at a moderate speed. We always go out to eat afterward. I was good I had 1 egg, rye toast and coffee. I'm working on getting in my 96 oz. of water in now.

Thanks everyone for the support and encouragement.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:27 AM

Thanks Nancia I'll take that hug and chocolate is my fav. The ankle is better today even took a walk this morn with a wrap on and did ok but now it's a little sore so off my feet for a while to let it rest. I hate to say it but I won't even make the 5# this month. But watch out in Aug. I am determined to get below 150 one day soon. I am so losing.
Gail