Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
July 2013 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!! >

July 2013 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!!

July 2013 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!!

Old 07-05-2013, 07:01 AM

ah yes, turning 50 is the big stinker! That's when my weight decided to add up I went from 150 to 200 in a few years. Since I am 5'11" it wasn't noticeable right away until one day I really looked at myself and went into shock. Stay on top of it now & don't let it get out of control like I did.

Summer gardens sound wonderful! Nothing like fresh produce, yum!!!
Old 07-05-2013, 07:56 AM

Congrats to our 2 winners for June!
I really miss having a garden and all the fresh produce. After moving into the woods I had to give that up. Our neighborhood grocery store has their biggest sale of the year this week. Yesterday I bought strawberries, raspberries, 2 pineapples, a watermelon, sweet corn and 5 pints of blueberries. I just finished a wonderful breakfast of berries and yogurt. The sweet corn I ate last night was amazing.
Yes, aging takes a big toll on your weight. I have gained 20 lbs in the 5 years since I turned 50 but I also gained 30 lbs between ages 40-50. I was always tall and thin - 5'9". I still have the tall part. Now I'm a big girl and I don't like it! I hope to get under 200 lbs this month. It will be a big challenge, even though it's only 3 lbs, but we will go on vacation and have our kids home for the whole month.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:45 PM

This weight increase must have something to do with our hormones changing when we hit 40. It is crazy. I know I have been at my heaviest ever in the last 6 years.

We have a small garden this year, tomatoes, bell peppers, lettuce, serrano peppers, and carrots. Oh yea they decided to try some cucumbers.

Well having the one lung has had it challanges. The latest being that I am not able to sweep, mop, or vacuum. Also hard to stretch to clean in the bathroon. Well today I had someone come and help me. I am so grateful to have this help. Now to declutter the cutting table that has all the fabric that was spread all over the living room.

Had a very relaxing 4th, just kept having to listen to the neighborhood kids set off firecrackers.

Enjoy your weekend.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:09 PM

Cindy, I'm in again. We're out of town for the weekend, so the plan is to have the fat quarters in the mail on Monday. I'm sending 3 months again.

Sending prayers for everybody....I figure we all can use them!
Old 07-06-2013, 04:28 AM

I was so busy arguing with Beachbound over who is going to win the batiks this month I forgot to congratulate the winners from June. Good job to you both. At least my weight is heading in the right direction again.
I finally finished the quilt I was commissioned to make by my nephew. It is a Tardis from the show Dr Who. I get about 3/4 done with quilts and want to do something new. It is in the washing machine right now. Hopefully to be delivered tomorrow. Now I can start something new. Maybe my bargello that I was going to do last summer. Or my Judy Neimeyer Mariners Compass. I also need a tune up on my machine.
It is raining here again today. We have had so much rain here this summer. We have a picnic with fireworks tonight hopefully it will stop soon.
Attached Thumbnails dsc01124.jpg   dsc01126.jpg  
Old 07-06-2013, 04:42 AM
Power Poster

Well I understand about the pounds and getting older lol. In may I turned the big 60, and I have been at my heaviest over the past 6 or 7 years. First of all, I am 60, and still have not gone through menopause. I still have my monthly. With my lupus, Sjogren's, and Fibromyalgia, I have absolutely no energy. I wish I also had someone to help me with my house to even clean it good for me just one time. My sisters all have their own health issues, and my dad is 80 so they can't help me. My husband does most of the cooking, but has other health issues so he can do only so much. I am on a tight budget like many others these days, so hiring out is not in the cards at this time. Still, I am so blessed. I can still sew/quilt, go out in my yard. Right now I am watching all the birds on my front porch from my window. Between my house, and my dad's we have a regular bird sanctuary we have so many birds. We both have bird feeders everywhere. My dad made most of them. Out in my little flower/rock garden that I was able to put together a bit at a time last year, my day lilies are in full bloom. Me and my husband both have ours. I have some that are a cream color with burgundy centers, and his are a beautiful cantaloupe orange. My butterfly bush will be blooming soon. I also have watched my spirea bush bloom all spring and it's still going. I also love all the wildflowers, and the Queen Anne's lace is everywhere. I have had my coffee, banana, and a piece of blueberry bread this morning. Did well yesterday. I have got to keep myself motivated. Happy sewing, and eating healthy everyone.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
I was so busy arguing with Beachbound over who is going to win the batiks this month I forgot to congratulate the winners from June. Good job to you both. At least my weight is heading in the right direction again.
I finally finished the quilt I was commissioned to make by my nephew. It is a Tardis from the show Dr Who. I get about 3/4 done with quilts and want to do something new. It is in the washing machine right now. Hopefully to be delivered tomorrow. Now I can start something new. Maybe my bargello that I was going to do last summer. Or my Judy Neimeyer Mariners Compass. I also need a tune up on my machine.
It is raining here again today. We have had so much rain here this summer. We have a picnic with fireworks tonight hopefully it will stop soon.
Arguing burns calories right? Whatever it takes, bring it on!

Great job on your quilts. It's fun to plan each new project. I had just committed to making all of the costumes for my son's HS musical Once Apon a Mattress. That's 27 formals gowns plus tunics for the guys....did I say I committed or I need to be committed???
Old 07-06-2013, 05:44 AM

yikes, JuneBillie; you have a lot going on but you seem so positive and upbeat, good for you!!! Your garden sounds lovely.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:09 AM

Dody, I'd say you need to be committed! At least I know I would if I took on something like that. I hope you have some help. Yikes!
Junebillie, I relaxed in my chair just reading about your gardens. Sounds so nice and peaceful. I hope you find some help with your housework.
Pat, love your quilt. Great job!
Cindy, I imagine the hot, humid weather isn't helping any with your breathing. I hope you get some relief.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:54 AM

Well one reason I stay in in the heat of the day. I still need to do this weeks grocery shopping, but will wait until tomorrow or Monday morning. I try to get in and out as quick as possible and will take a cooler with me to put the refrigrated items in (cooler bag)

I have my date tonight and yes ladies it is with the same man. He and I are only companions, he stated last week why we would not go any further than we are now. he is 19 yrs old and doesn't want me to have to worry about taking care of him as we continue to get older. I guess I can respect that but he is taking that choice away from me. It is what it is and will be what it is. God is the only one who can make that change.

Remember with the tempatures going up we have to remember to drink our water, hydrate yourself.

Happy quilting