Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize! >

June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize!

June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize!

Old 06-02-2011, 10:40 AM

I found that "My Daily Plate" on the Live Strong web site is useful in keeping track of calories eaten and expended doing activities. It helps me address portion control.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:48 AM

Sandy have a wonderful time with your DGD's and have a safe trip.
No walk this morning as there are repair men in the house for a few hours so I hope to do the walk later this afternoon.
DeeDee your girls are beautiful and looks like they are having a lot of fun "helping you". They will keep you very active and you will do very well this month.
Leann I'm very interested in the 17 day diet your on, can I find info on the net or is this from your doctor?
Everyone have a great day and much success.
MJ I want to send my thanks for all the work that goes into hosting this group. You are terrific.
Hugs to all
Gail
Old 06-02-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
Thank you all so much! I know I could not have done it without your support!! Now iis when the real work starts. I have the lap band but I have to eat the right way and exercise. Some people think that weight loss surgery is the cure. This is not so. It is only a tool to help us get to where we want and need to be.

Again...THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I care deeply for you guys and am so thankful I joined this challenge more than a year ago.

Missy
You are so right.Surgery is not the magic 'pill'.There is no such a thing as losing weight easy.That's why so many fail at it.It takes hard work and determination and the ability to say no to yourself and sacrifice and the wanting of it bad enough to continue and keep it off.The old fashioned way is unfortunately the only way to lose.We have to eat less calories and burn more than we take in to see a drop on the scales.You been working out several times a week,watching your calorie intake,as well as drinking lots of fluids.So,you've put in and got a reward of about a 90 pound loss too,like me.Without surgery even been done yet.And will continue to go on and work out hard after you heal up.I'd like to see the ones who say it's easy with surgery,do that,go to the gym 3 times a week,eat with in a certain calorie count,and after they lose 90 pounds,come back and tell you "That was EASY!"
Old 06-02-2011, 01:41 PM

"And lead us not into temptation."

That's going to be one of my rules for the next month. I was supposed to go out on two different lunch dates this month but I don't feel strong enough to do it. Will power is not one of my talents but from past experience I know that once I feel committed and see results I can go out to a meal. I'm able to order regular food and put half of it in a doggie bag.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Radiana
"And lead us not into temptation."

That's going to be one of my rules for the next month. I was supposed to go out on two different lunch dates this month but I don't feel strong enough to do it. Will power is not one of my talents but from past experience I know that once I feel committed and see results I can go out to a meal. I'm able to order regular food and put half of it in a doggie bag.
Radiana, is there anyway you can choose the location for lunch? If so find some place that offer lots of light meal options. Dont go somewhere that brings bread or chips to the table. It is hard to do but it can be done. I was there myself. And now with being insulin dependent type 2 diabetes it is even a bigger challange. When I know I am going out, I plan ahead with my other meals of the day. I make my Lunch the biggest meal and have a light dinner that night.

Remember we are all pulling for you and you can be successful.

Good luck

Cindy
Old 06-02-2011, 01:55 PM

Went in for my 2 month check up with my diabetes today. When I got on the scales at the doctors my weight was 213.2 so that will be my starting weight for june. It seems that I didnt lose like I thought I did in May. I am 0.6 lbs less than on May 1st. I need to really kick up the exercise.

I will be in control of my diabetes, she told me that I need to eat a high protien low carb diet now. So will see what happens there. And she said to excerise more.

I am going to win this battle of weight loss and get this under control so I can come off the insulin. I know that is why weight is not dropping.

Excerise challange is the Texas heat. already in the 90's, I want to try joining a gym but work hours are cut back so income is down.

More challanges and not to let depression set in with everything going on.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Thusnelda
After the first shock, when I weighed myself, I had a good start. Went to the Krav Maga training yesterday, cycled 20 kilometres today to visit my granma and went to the gym afterwards for my usual weight training. It's only midday but I'm knackered. Tomorrow I plan on going on a leisurely hike with my boyfriend, cycle another 20 km the day after to visit my parents. Yep, good start and happy with it.

Edited to add: Should I actually win this "contest" - which seems highly unlikely, now that I saw how much weight the May winner lost - I suggest that purplemem keeps a couple of the fat quarters for herself as a big thank you for the initiative and as small "payment" for shipping all the remaining fat quarters over the big pond.
I wish I had your confidence.But,sadly,I don't.I just don't like counting chickens before they hatch,because some are not going to make it,and that's just a fact.We are just getting started.As time goes on,we're going to start getting grumpy and lose momentum.and it will not get any easier the more we continue.We are going to have to stick with it no matter what,and get focused and stay focused on losing weight.I think the fact there are so many contestants this month should give everybody encouragement and hutzba to continue on.And the fact there is a HUGE prize this month,is great.But most of us just want and need to lose weight and keep it off.I'm afraid if we lose fast,we gain it back,and then some again.The fat quarters to me are a plus,but not worth backsliding over down the road.However,I am also sure 100%,that we all are going to give it our best shot.I know I will.It's anybody's game.And like last month,some of the big losers,like me,lost a lot,but things happened,and some of the weight came back on.Mine due to a med change from my Dr..But I'm all straightened out now,so that won't happen this month.This month should be a good month for all of us,because I know from experience,competition is good and it spurs us on.All I can do is my best.Weather that's good enough,don't know.But am going to give it my best effort.And there are sleepers out there as well.who don't always chime in every day,but once a week as required.I think some of those are the ones to be looking out for.I can tell,you have a competitive spirit.And that is good.We need that,in fact we all could use a little of that.And we're going to have to if we're going to have any chance at all of winning.So,get going ladies,and myself included.I want to see a 5 pound drop from all of you this month.I'll have mine off by the week- end this week.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:00 PM

Missy, :thumbup: That's a huge weight loss when you consider it was done before the surgery - just a strict resolve to stay on track with your eating and exercise.

Leann, 14 pounds and a dress size is a winner in anyone's book.

Newbies: Any weight loss is great and I'm never sure if we should be striving to lose more than 2 pounds a week. For those of us who have ever attended Weight Watchers, remember the first week for new members when 7 pounds wasn't unusual, then the next week, it was 1 1/2 or 2 on the same food plan. I also remember cutting off my long hair and wearing nothing but a sundress for the final weigh in because my goal weight was unrealistic. Live and learn.

MJ, you didn't hear from me because my weight loss was 0. I lost the weight I gained on the steroids, but only back to the May starting point. I expect better from me this month. 5 pounds, Xylie?? Help!
Old 06-02-2011, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by createfourpaws
Originally Posted by purplemem
Originally Posted by lawsonmugs
Hi Missy haven't seen you on here. Are you doing ok now? Have your nerves settled down? I also would like to know how many signed up this month. Mary
Everyone who has signed up has posted on the thread, remember this is just June 1. We usually have stragglers, especially since I have not closed the other thread yet.

Would anyone like to list or count the participants for us?
Ok if i have gotten everyone we have 51 and they are as follows so if I left you out I am sorry.

1. Purplemem
2. Thusnelda
3. Little roO
4. JHolm
5. Nancia
6. gothchacovered
7. deedum
8. deedee75
9. Ljs317
10. dash2000lbs
11. Trkrsyf
12. NannySandy
13. Irish Rose
14. Red Kimba
15.Rita's mom
16. Radiana
17. Scrapngmom
18.Lauriejo
19.Kdaduzy
20.Leann
21.Xilie55
22.createfourpaws
23. Dananva
24. Missy
25. sewNso
26. pinebettquilter
27. pinsninks
28. quilt happy gail
29.bprayeredup
30.cheri62
31. globug
32. thomp116
33. lawsonmugs
34. PamH
35. pnptrapp
36. 76& counting
37. Janice4
38. prairier quilter
39. cricut_farmer
40. mean mom
41. jgriinke
42. physcomomquilter
43. swcrazzy
44. wmuteach
45. LindaG
46. gramabiese
47. pamibear
48. sophie2
49. quiltin'gran
50. buttermilkmama
51. Crafty Chick

Again if I left you I am sorry.

Good Luck Ladies.
Cindy
52. Linz83
53. Kieta
54. Jennifer22206
55. JackieSue
56. Fabricnut
57. patcnunt

Good luck
58. fernheimer
59. sapdoggie
60. linmid
61. mama4dylan

welcome ladies.

Someone is getting lots of fq's sometime in july.

Cindy
number 19 should be skaduzy. Please correct :-)
Old 06-02-2011, 02:09 PM

I'm not worried about those I didn't hear from in May, I was commenting because of the request to give the monthly total. Everybody did it just right!

I have managed to blow up 2 computers in 10 days :thumbdown:

This has been an expensive month, already! I'm down to my husband's 6 year old laptop, and I suspect we will have to replace it...so I guess I have to buy at least one this month.

This is not in my life plan! Pooh! :evil: