Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize! >

June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize!

June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize!

Old 06-07-2011, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by lawsonmugs
Sounds like most are doing well. I didn't see a post today from Missy. I think she was suppose to have her weigh in with the doctor today.Maybe it's tuesday. Also purple mem didn't sign in with our words for the day. Where is Irishrose? What's goin on ladies?? It's so hot there It's kinda leaving me sick and weak. Hope everybody watches the heat out side while walking or whatever. Have a good evening. mary
Oh how I am missing MJ! My house phone croaked and so I do not have her phone number right now. UGH. I want to call her to check on her.

The heat is so yucky right now. I grew up in Texas and absolutely HATE the heat. This is why I love living here. We do have our occassional hot days but for the most part it is so much nicer here.

Everyone please practice safe exercise outside right now. Drink lots of water and eat well!

Love yall!

Missy
Old 06-07-2011, 01:29 PM

Missy you will begin to lose the weight again, so it sounds like the surgeon expected this...........and forgot to give you some heads up about it.

You are an inspiration.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Fabricnut
I want to stick with this challenge but I'm not doing very well. I get too tired and too busy then food just calls my name. Seems like I have to start over every morning.
It's too hot and humid to walk outside and I have to drive at least 7 miles to the nearest town. Maybe I should just buy gasoline instead of food. I need some encouragement from some of you please.
Fabricnut...

Hang in there! It is not easy to stick with this type of challenge! Change in routine and habits are hard things to do especially when it is so hot and all you wanna do it eat ice cream or drink cold soda. Try to remember (even if it doesn't feel like it) that there is joy in the journey. The end results are nice but knowing you made it to the end is a reward in and of itself. I am praying for you and thinking about you every day. If you ever wanna talk to me let me know! I am really good about sending text messages that will make you smile. If you would like that...let me know! I would be thrilled to do what I can to encourage you!

You are a wonderful person and hang in there! You will get there. Just put one foot in front of the other. *smile*

Missy
Old 06-07-2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by createfourpaws
I wasn't getting any emails to let know that a new post happened, was beginning to think that the board was quiet. Boy was I wrong when I came to check it out.

Sounds like a lot of you have been good.

MJ your MIA.............hope you didnt lose another computer.

Missy how did it go with your follow up?

Well got on the scales this morning and I am down another 2 lbs. YEAH, all I have done was increase my water intake. I need to go get more as i dont like the tap water here.

Keep up the hard work it will pay of in the end.
Woohoo on your weight loss!!! Keep on trucking! You are doing great!

Missy
Old 06-07-2011, 01:40 PM

Thanks for the reminder to be careful in the heat. So far today I have drank 48 ozs and working on my 3rd one. My goal is to drink 4 to 6 glasses. I have a 24 oz cup that has the gel inside to help keep it cold, I freeze it and make sure I have plenty of ice.

As for the exercise here in the Texas heat I have a walking DVD i got from the diabetes education class I attended so I am going to do that. I am one of those that hates exercise so I have been recommended to start slow and do 15mins 3 times a week, and work up to 5 days a week.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Do you really think the water makes that much difference? I know I fall down there. My food is good, my exercise is good, but my weight is stuck. I recently told my youngest daughter about water with lemon, cucumber, mint and some spices. She's not using the spices, but is dropping inches like crazy. I don't know about pounds - she doesn't weigh herself.

Okay, my assignment for today. Put my water in the fridge so I know how much I drink. Keep a tally on the fridge door. Won't work tomorrow. I have to go out of town for an app't with a neurologist - scary, but necessary. Good thing is, there is a JoAnn's in Traverse City. My funds are limited lately, but I can always justify buying batting with my coupons. I can pet the pretty fabrics. I do need a light batik for the background of that daughter's birthday quilt, but JA's nicer batiks are $13 a yard. I think I'll have to order from Keepsake.

My water is softened and then filtered at the tap. It's easier and fresher tasting than having to buy bottled water. My water is city water, so it has a chlorine taste without the filter.
A great big YES on the water. I drop weight much easier with the water. The surgeon told me yesterday that the water flushes some fat out of our systems and is an imperative when it comes to lasting weight loss.

I love shopping from Keepsake! I buy almost all of my watercolor kits from them. I need to buy some mauve batiks to make a quilt for my girlfriend's sister who had a mastectomy yesterday. I wish she liked blue I have some gorgeous blues. Sigh. Some people's sisters. LOL!

I am going to be doing some more quilt designing today. I looking to combine some challenging aspects to some of the patterns I am creating. We will see how it goes.

Stay cool while you are out and about!

Missy
Old 06-07-2011, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
Originally Posted by createfourpaws
I wasn't getting any emails to let know that a new post happened, was beginning to think that the board was quiet. Boy was I wrong when I came to check it out.

Sounds like a lot of you have been good.

MJ your MIA.............hope you didnt lose another computer.

Missy how did it go with your follow up?

Well got on the scales this morning and I am down another 2 lbs. YEAH, all I have done was increase my water intake. I need to go get more as i dont like the tap water here.

Keep up the hard work it will pay of in the end.
Woohoo on your weight loss!!! Keep on trucking! You are doing great!

Missy
Thanks Missy, I know this is a lifestyle change for all of us. Every little step helps us be successful.

I went to the grocery store to get some fruit and veggies so I can add them to the chicken and shrimp I will be making later for work the next 2 days and on friday I will prepare my meals and snacks for the weekend at work. Work is where my temptation is greatest, when I want to hit the vending machines for a candy bar and soda. I will take my water with lemons with me. along with snacks and meals.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by sewNso
i'm lurking some. been busy. have a 4 yr old grandson for a couple weeks. at my old age feeling 64, and been working since i was 5 yrs old, (and you ask how?--i had to babysit the other kids) and all my aches and pains, that is a real challenge. but enjoying the dickens out of him. really enjoying the sharing of you ladies. sorry, i can't share a lot. that's just me. but enjoying all the chit chat.
MIssy, how are you doing. got a couple FQ mailed off to the 2 winners last month.
i am hanging in there. leaving the crap alone, the best i can.
how about i show you ladies a picture OF ME from YEARS AGO?
i don't think i want to share a FAT picture of me....
Oh thank you so much! All of you that have asked for my address I truly thank you from the bottom of my heart! You guys are awesome and I have come to care about you all so very much!!!!

I would love to see a picture of you!

Missy
Old 06-07-2011, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by nancia
fabricnut-- i think i know what you are going through. i've cut back on everything, walked as much as possible, and i've lost .4 of a lb. not even a half! that's the equivalent of a small glass of water. but i can feel my body changing, little by little, and so is yours! some of us just aren't good at letting go, of anything evidently. i'm going to try spirotein and see if that gets things moving. i forgot, i got a hair cut yesterday so that probably accounts for the "weight loss". geesh. hang in there! i'm going to and it would be very lonely being the only one who is not losing (i'm smiling)--we WILL lose!! i have trouble eating meals during the day, stopping what i'm doing and actually sitting down to eat. sounds like you may have the same issue. i'm thinking of setting up lunch at breakfast and having it ready in the refrigerator, and setting an alarm to remind me to stop, eat and relax. i'll let you know if it works! of course, that means i'll have to have breakfast. it took 2 months for me to get used to ww and all the food! if we don't eat periodically our body does 2 things- shuts down as long as possible to save what there is (starvation mode) and then when we crave food/nourishment so strongly we lose control and eat anything in sight. some diets suggest more than 3 meals a day to maintain a balance. who knows, maybe we should try that, too! good luck and keep on plugging! we'll be successful, too!
Nanci! I totally agree with you! Keep on going...do not give up!!

Breakfast is the very thing we need to jumpstart our metabolism. Without we will slowly go through our day. With breakfast it jumpstarts the metabolism and the rest of the day moves quickly and you will feel better. I promise! Find something you enjoy eating like a fruit, some protein (cheese, egg, anything protein) maybe some grains (like oatmeal or a high fiber cereal). It will suprise you how much better you will feel if you eat breakfast. You will be hungry by lunch but that is a good thing. Same with dinner. Doing that plus drinking the water and you will be surprised how much weight you begin to lose.

Missy
Old 06-07-2011, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
I like having some relatively healthy homemade muffins in my freezer. I can set out one large or two small the night before and then I only have to grab some lowfat cream cheese and breakfast is ready. I ran out yesterday, so today I had an orange. I just came in for a water break. I'm sweating off any I drink. My goal is to have one garden done before I come in. School gets out tomorrow and I have one grandson who loves to scrub the patio. I want to be ready for him by Thursday. His lazy brother stays in the car and watches.

I'm sure I drink more than 75 ounces of water a day. I'm at 36 now.

Nancia, Being new, you haven't heard my spiel about the difference between 'will' and 'am'. 'We will or I will lose weight' denotes it will happen in the future. 'I am or we are losing weight' denotes now. I'm sure you, like me, want it now. Go stand in front of the mirror (face only is fine) and say, "I AM losing weight".

For everyone, with MJ offline, I can give an assignment. Go the mirror, say, "I AM losing weight", then to make MJ happy, write about how you felt taking that step. Skip the 'We' for now. It has to be personalized for each of use.

I AM losing weight! Judy
GREAT ASSIGNMENT!

I. AM. LOSING. WEIGHT.

I. AM. SUCCEEDING. AT. THIS. CHALLENGE.

Excellent mantra!!

Thank you for suggesting this!

Missy