Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize! >

June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize!

June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize!

Old 06-07-2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
Originally Posted by Fabricnut
I want to stick with this challenge but I'm not doing very well. I get too tired and too busy then food just calls my name. Seems like I have to start over every morning.

I understand completely. I have the same problem, when i get tired or busy and I can't stop eating.

I've had good luck with making meals ahead of time so when I get hungry and it's close to a meal time I can throw something in the microwave and go ahead and eat.

If I'm trying to figure out what to cook and what I want to eat I wind up grazing on a bunch of stuff and by the time I've finished cooking what ever, I've already had a enough calories for a meal or more, then I sit down and eat dinner.
It might feel like you are starting over everyday. That is okay. You are STILL trying. Giving up is not trying but starting anew everyday is. Keep on keeping on! I am thinking of you and praying for you. We can do this together. Alone it is so hard but you are not alone. Every one of us is here for you! When it gets hard and you feel alone, come here. Tell us about it. We will cheer you on! You are a great person!

Hang in there!

Missy
Old 06-07-2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by createfourpaws
Missy you will begin to lose the weight again, so it sounds like the surgeon expected this...........and forgot to give you some heads up about it.

You are an inspiration.
Thank you so much! That is exactly what happened. I feel so much better about it now. I cried yesterday when I was talking to the surgeon and he just hugged me and told me that it is normal to have some water retention. What a great doctor he is!

An inspiration? Wow. Thank you so much for saying that. It is not something I think about regarding myself. My mom said this to me this morning. My mom and my therapist said to me during our session today that I really need to begin to write my story. They think that someone might benefit by reading my story of my journey towards health through weight loss and my journey towards recovery concerning my schizophrenia.

My therapist told my mom and me that if she had not been with me throughout the last 6 years should would never know that I have schizophrenia. That made my day. I spent so much of my life hearing voices and all of that that to now have no symptoms at all is just the greatest feeling. I love my psychiatric team that cares for me and I am so thankful for the meds that make me normal.

Missy
Old 06-07-2011, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the reminder to be careful in the heat. So far today I have drank 48 ozs and working on my 3rd one. My goal is to drink 4 to 6 glasses. I have a 24 oz cup that has the gel inside to help keep it cold, I freeze it and make sure I have plenty of ice.

As for the exercise here in the Texas heat I have a walking DVD i got from the diabetes education class I attended so I am going to do that. I am one of those that hates exercise so I have been recommended to start slow and do 15mins 3 times a week, and work up to 5 days a week.
Starting slow is great advice. When I started exercise at the gym I was only able to walk about 3 minutes at 0.4 mph and the night before my surgery I was able to walk 1/4 mile in 10 minutes at 1.5 mph. I never could have done that at first. I know I will have to start really slow all over again when I am released to exercise again but slow and steady wins this race and that is how I will approach the exercise again.

Missy
Old 06-07-2011, 02:06 PM

glad you're back, missy. hope that means you're feeling better.
i went to wal-mart to get frozen dinners and totally forgot the fruit and veggies! i was so intent on getting the stuff home before it thawed i didn't go anywhere near it. also, in our store it's right next to the bakery and that is my biggest, baddest temptation. 'when in doubt, carb out!'off to get more water and a fast trip to the used water department.everybody hang tight and repeat after me- i am losing weight, i am losing weight. i am losing, wait,,,is this where we tap our heels 3 times and end up back in kansas? oh, auntie em.....
Old 06-07-2011, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
I wasn't getting any emails to let know that a new post happened, was beginning to think that the board was quiet. Boy was I wrong when I came to check it out.

Sounds like a lot of you have been good.

MJ your MIA.............hope you didnt lose another computer.

Missy how did it go with your follow up?

Well got on the scales this morning and I am down another 2 lbs. YEAH, all I have done was increase my water intake. I need to go get more as i dont like the tap water here.

Keep up the hard work it will pay of in the end.
Woohoo on your weight loss!!! Keep on trucking! You are doing great!

Missy
Thanks Missy, I know this is a lifestyle change for all of us. Every little step helps us be successful.

I went to the grocery store to get some fruit and veggies so I can add them to the chicken and shrimp I will be making later for work the next 2 days and on friday I will prepare my meals and snacks for the weekend at work. Work is where my temptation is greatest, when I want to hit the vending machines for a candy bar and soda. I will take my water with lemons with me. along with snacks and meals.
That is a smart thing to do! Your preparation will make your life so much easier than if you were depending on vending machines to nourish your body. You go girl!

Missy
Old 06-07-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by nancia
glad you're back, missy. hope that means you're feeling better.
i went to wal-mart to get frozen dinners and totally forgot the fruit and veggies! i was so intent on getting the stuff home before it thawed i didn't go anywhere near it. also, in our store it's right next to the bakery and that is my biggest, baddest temptation. 'when in doubt, carb out!'off to get more water and a fast trip to the used water department.everybody hang tight and repeat after me- i am losing weight, i am losing weight. i am losing, wait,,,is this where we tap our heels 3 times and end up back in kansas? oh, auntie em.....
Oh thank you! I am still having pain but doing better day by day! Yup I am clicking my heels! I do not want to go to Kansas though cause it is way to hot there. I want to go some place really cool right now. I have NO idea where that might be. LOL!! If you know of a cool place where I can go puleez let me know cause I am not liking the heat at all!!

Missy
Old 06-07-2011, 03:28 PM

Thank you for all the advice and encouragement. I keep thinking I should get out my old Weight Watchers book and start counting points plus using myfitnesspal to record everything. I just don't have the money to pay WW every week. I'll start again with breakfast tomorrow, record my food intake, drink tons of water, and try to work in a 15 minute walk somewhere. (Hope it cools off here some.) I weighed this morning and will again next Tuesday. I'd like to loose 10 pounds by August 15 so got to get started. Of course I need to loose over 100+ pounds really. Thanks again to all.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:09 PM

Thank you for all the advice and encouragement. I keep thinking I should get out my old Weight Watchers book and start counting points plus using myfitnesspal to record everything. I just don't have the money to pay WW every week. I'll start again with breakfast tomorrow, record my food intake, drink tons of water, and try to work in a 15 minute walk somewhere. (Hope it cools off here some.) I weighed this morning and will again next Tuesday. I'd like to loose 10 pounds by August 15 so got to get started. Of course I need to loose over 100+ pounds really. Thanks again to all.
Ten pounds by mid-August seems doable. If you want a personal cheerleader let me know! I am good at shaking my pom-poms! :)

Missy
Old 06-07-2011, 04:13 PM

It is always good to make smaller goals to acheive so you feel successful. My total weight I want to lose is about 70 lbs but my monthly goal is around 8 lbs. I want to focus on the small steps not the big picture.

SO my goals this month are as follows:
1. lose 8 lbs and keep it off ( already at my goal weight loss not to keep it off)
2. drink as close to 100 ounces of water each day
3. prepare meals for work that are healthy
4. stay away from the vending machines at work
5. walk 3 times per week for a minimum of 15 mins.
6. to get my diabetes under control,
7. to write in a journal of how i am feeling and what challenges i am facing.

I hope this helps someone. I feel great about writing out the goals.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:19 PM

Your eight pound loss is wonderful....you go girl. I'm encouraged by my one pound so far. I'm in no condition to excercise yet so I know it will be slow but I'm o.k. with that.