Just plain old chit chat

Old 07-23-2011, 11:02 AM

I just wanted to chat a bit and share before starting the day.

As you all know, I have been working on Judy Martin's, Snake River Log Cabin.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-138526-1.htm

I do have to stop and cook now and then and do other stuff lol. Thank goodness that Hubby does the laundry and cleaning and I can go right back to sewing.

This morning I mixed up our special bread and in a couple hours, I will make them off and put them to rise again. I make a pumpernickle bread. I use whole wheat, rye, ground oatmeal (I do it my self), regular flour, yeast, salt, cocoa, dried milk, molasses, a little olive oil, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seed, flax,cranberries, blueberries and raisens.

I soak the raisen, dried cranberries and blueberries and heat them up to boil and turn off. They get nice and plump that way. I then add cold water to it and add it to the mix. I don't measure anything lol...I just do it.

I made a huge pot of rice and veggies. Later on when I take a break I will stew a pot of chicken breast and then that will do for a few days lol.

I made our huge cookies the day before and those are also nutritious. For the cookies, I use the same blueberries and cranberries but golden raisens and walnuts and chopped glazed ginger, a little brown sugar, cinnamon, butter, flour, oatmeal, ginger powder, baking soda, two eggs. molasses.

To go on with our little chat. I happened to watch a lovely movie last night. It was so enjoyable. It was called, "The last Waltz. It was a movie on Johnan Strauss and his music and that grand Coloratura Soprano, Miliza Korjus, was singing the waltzes. The Coloratura Soprano is one of the rarest voice categories, Dramatic Coloraturas literally are a breed apart.

I have heard this type of singing before but never thought anything of it and just thought that you learned to sing that way lol.....

Anyway, I enjoyed it so much, that now I am playing the Strauss waltzes from my computer. I have all my music programed in my pc.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-230719.jpe   attachment-230720.jpe   attachment-230721.jpe  
Old 07-23-2011, 11:04 AM

mmm, everything looks good!!
Old 07-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Power Poster

yummmmm, i'm coming over!!
Old 07-23-2011, 11:16 AM

Those cookies look 'to die for'. They remind me of the cookies my Grandmother use to make and they sure were GOOD!
Old 07-23-2011, 11:17 AM

I am hungry
Old 07-23-2011, 11:24 AM

So nice of you to share part of your very interesting day with us. My mother used to cook like that on week-ends and then she would spend the week quilting. At the time I did not understand the way she would put so much effort into the joy of quilting the way I understand it now. We just thought she was being selfish because we were lazy teens who didn't want to heat up what she had cooked and put it on the table. She even expected us to do the laundry! Can you believe that. Now that I am hooked as bad as she was I am doing the same thing. I plan my whole week so that I can get lost in my sewing room. I have a neice who lives with me and she hates quilting but she loves to cook and clean. That works just fine for me. I have been divorced for many years so I don't have to worry if he eats or not. I like my sewing room quiet so the music would distract me. I hope you have a very productive day and keep on enjoying your movies and the music. It was nice talking to you.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:58 AM

Goodness, I'm tired already!! My best friend does all her cooking on Saturday for the week. She works fulltime and has 4 growing boys! She wears me out, too! Of course, she's twenty years younger than I am!!
Old 07-23-2011, 12:00 PM

Yum! I'm moving in with you!! I'll do all the cleaning and I'll de-string any of your sewing projects!! lol
Old 07-23-2011, 12:07 PM

All sounds yummy. Would love to have the bread & cookie recipes if you'll share.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:15 PM

Ahhh how sweet. I am now cooking the chicken breasts, I saute them in lots of onion and green pepper and two smashed cloves of garlic, poltry seasoning, salt, pepper and italian seasoning. When they are nice and brown on both sides, I add a little water and the gravy is already thick for the onions.

I haven't entered my domain yet and I am loving the music but then my whole life centers around music..whereas music is the food of love...love of quilting? lol. Andre Reu is now playing...I grew up with music everyday so it's second nature to me.

I can listen to a movie (Netflix streaming into my tv) or music..nothing bothers me as I am quilting. I actually work better with music.

Yes the cookies are grandmother's cookies because grandmothers are smart...none of this can I have another....you get the whole deal one time lol....hubby acts like a kid when I make them, he says, "they are all
mines", he is so funny. He went off to see his sister and crudgingly took her one at my insistance lol.

I can now enter my domain as the chicken is now on low. I never leave the stove until everything is settled and the timer set. We know how we forget once we start to sew.....I am getting a late start today but the next few days will be better....