Just read this

Old 09-05-2010, 03:40 AM

I was a mean mom,Now I am a mean grandma
Old 09-05-2010, 05:22 AM

There were 6 of us so mom ruled with a belt or fly watter. We all are hard working adults and have good homes for our children. If you can reason with a 2 year old you are one special indivual because I haven't found one yet that you can reason with when you come to the cash register and all the candy is surrounding them. The only thing my kids understood was NO and if you keep throwing a fit you will get a spenking when you get home. I had to be consistant and always do as I told them I would, and now I am very pround of my 2 kids and the way they are bringing up there kids.
To each his own but "spare the rod spoil the kid" Just my humble opinion.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Patty Patches
I was a mean mom,Now I am a mean grandma
Me to! My youngest DGS (my avatar) calls me Meanie most of the time instead of Mimi. No means No -not lets compromise.

Sometimes despite our best efforts to teach our children right from wrong they do stupid stuff that we have no control over. We just have to hope and pray that they learn the lesson the first time they mess up. I agree that love and support goes a long way but some kids learn to "work the system" and end up causing themselves and their families a whole lot of un-necessary grief.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:22 AM

I agree there is a differance in a swat is not beating a child. I did read that statement on a web ring for new moms. These women are young (well educated) professionals. I presonally know two of them, they have never been spanked in their life. One of them wrote this. Do you think we have come full circle.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:31 AM

I didn't spank my kids, but that doesn't mean they weren't disciplined. They knew the "look" and when Mom was pushed a little to far. The "look" does wonders in snapping them back into reality.

Last year my oldest son who is now 31, decided to pitch a fit and scream at me over the phone. I yelled back......"Excuse me, who in "bleep" do you think your talking to?" He calmed down and we continued our discussion.

I never seen a reason to spank or call a child names. It turns my stomach to hear the names some parents call their kids in anger.
I used to get onto my now ex DIL for calling my grandson a demon spawn. I said, "what a vulgar thing to call him" and "Don't ever call him that around his Great Grandmother.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by true4uca
I'd rather go to jail cause I spanked my kids, than they go cause I did not spank them.
Whoa, deep.
I read your post to my husband and he said, "what a good post."
Old 09-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
I had the meanest mother in the whole world. While other kids ate candy for breakfast, I had to have cereal, eggs or toast. When others had cokes and candy for lunch, I had to eat a sandwich. As you can guess, my supper was different than the other kids' also.

But at least, I wasn't alone in my sufferings. My sister and two brothers had the same mean mother as I did.

My mother insisted upon knowing where we were at all times. You'd think we were on a chain gang. She had to know who our friends were and where we were going. She insisted if we said we'd be gone an hour, that we be gone one hour or less--not one hour and one minute. I am nearly ashamed to admit it, but she actually struck us. Not once, but each time we had a mind of our own and did as we pleased. That poor belt was used more on our seats than it was to hold up Daddy's pants. Can you imagine someone actually hitting a child just because he disobeyed? Now you can begin to see how mean she really was.

We had to wear clean clothes and take a bath. The other kids always wore their clothes for days. We reached the height of insults because she made our clothes herself, just to save money. Why, oh why, did we have to have a mother who made us feel different from our friends?

The worst is yet to come. We had to be in bed by nine each night and up at eight the next morning. We couldn't sleep till noon like our friends. So while they slept-my mother actually had the nerve to break the child-labor law. She made us work. We had to wash dishes, make beds, learn to cook and all sorts of cruel things. I believe she laid awake at night thinking up mean things to do to us.

She always insisted upon us telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, even if it killed us- and it nearly did.

By the time we were teen-agers, she was much wiser, and our life became even more unbearable. None of this tooting the horn of a car for us to come running. She embarrassed us to no end by making our dates and friends come to the door to get us. If I spent the night with a girlfriend, can you imagine she checked on me to see if I were really there. I never had the chance to elope to Mexico. That is if I'd had a boyfriend to elope with. I forgot to mention, while my friends were dating at the mature age of 12 and 13, my old fashioned mother refused to let me date until the age of 15 and 16. Fifteen, that is, if you dated only to go to a school function. And that was maybe twice a year.

Through the years, things didn't improve a bit. We could not lie in bed, "sick" like our friends did, and miss school. If our friends had a toe ache, a hang nail or serious ailment, they could stay home from school. Our marks in school had to be up to par. Our friends' report cards had beautiful colors on them, black for passing, red for failing. My mother being as different as she was, would settle for nothing less than ugly black marks.

As the years rolled by, first one and then the other of us was put to shame. We were graduated from high school. With our mother behind us, talking, hitting and demanding respect, none of us was allowed the pleasure of being a drop-out.

My mother was a complete failure as a mother. Out of four children, a couple of us attained some higher education. None of us have ever been arrested, divorced or beaten his mate. Each of my brothers served his time in the service of this country. And whom do we have to blame for the terrible way we turned out? You're right, our mean mother. Look at the things we missed. We never got to march in a protest parade, nor to take part in a riot, burn draft cards, and a million and one other things that our friends did. She forced us to grow up into God-fearing, educated, honest adults.

Using this as a background, I am trying to raise my three children. I stand a little taller and I am filled with pride when my children call me mean. Because, you see, I thank God, He gave me the meanest mother in the whole world.

Written by
Bobbie Pingaro ©1967
My DD gave this to me on a plaque a couple years ago for Mothers Day. Along with lots of hugs and thanks you's. I seldom had to "spank" my kids but they did know I was the boss in our home. My spankings were a light swat to the bottom. And my kids can count on one hand how many times it happened. They still back off if they get the look. DGD lives with me (with mommy) and if she gets the look she heads to the time out chair on her own. She loves me lots, but respects me too.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:22 AM

LOL....I know exactly. :oops: My Mother was a "meanie" too....but when we were teens, the 4 of us laughed at her. She had told us "wait till your Dad gets home...there will be dead kids all over this farm." Immediately we pictured 200 acres of farm ground covered with dead kids...LOL. Gave Mom a different perspective at the time too....after all we were playing when this was said and didn't stop when she wanted us to. We had to work on the farm and didn't miss school either. Cooking, cleaning, laundry, chores of livestock and field work. We are now responsible adults with grown kids of our own...and grandkids of our own. Did we do the same with our kids? Yes....but sometimes differently too.

I just wish that people would teach their small children that it ISN'T ok to scream unless they are hurt. I live next to a school and a day care and they constantly scream bloody murder when outside!!! In my opinion, the parents need taught before the children can be taught!!

THere was a teacher here that taught the kids this...he was say in a really soft voice.....when you hear my voice clap your hands. He would repeat this until all kids in the class were clapping their hands. Great way to get the attention of the kids. And this was a 2nd grade teacher.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:46 PM

I was never spanked, my Father died when I was very young, my Mum worked so I lived a free life playing in parks and on the beach with friends,when not at school. I never knew any friends spanked either. My three daughters were never spanked neither were my four grandchildren and non of us have any been in trouble of any sort, we are all caring loving people. We did learn how to behave by example and being talked to and explained what was right and wrong and why. I most certainly do not believe in spanking ever. My husband was a prison officer in one of the hardest prisons in London, and he used to say it was the children who had been spanked were the ones ended up in prison as men, as they learnt violence very young. There will probably never be agreement over this, we all do what we think is right at the time.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:43 PM

Many years ago - after I was out of school, the powers that be decided kids should not be spanked (I'm not talking beating here). Since then the children have become unruly, out of hand. My SIL just retired from teaching SECOND graders. The stories she tells are unbelievable. The one I can mention here is -- she had to remove a gun from a FIRST grader!!!! She asked him WHY did he bring it to school. I know - you're thinking "show and tell"...nope...he said he was mad at another kid and was going to kill him. Our children NEED to know their limits. I'd rather spank my kids and grandkids than to have them have that attitude! For crying out loud...can't people see that these kids are totally undisciplined??? Can't people see that kids are much meaner, nastier and out of hand than any kids in the last 60 yrs (at least)????