Kitchen Disasters

Old 04-14-2009, 05:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ButtercreamCakeArtist
I have one to tell on my Mom! She was fixing supper for us. She turned off the burner and put a Corelle plate over the skillet with sauerkraut in it bc she didn't have a lid for that one. She came to get me at my friend's house, just down the road, and visited with my friend's mother for a while. I cannot remember how long she was gone. My uncle had came to our house while we were gone and said he'd smelled sauerkraut.
The stove was electric with knobs that would turn all the way around. Instead of getting the knob to "OFF" it went over to "LOW". The entire bottom was burned out of the skillet. There was a handle and a ring left. The stove cleaned up, and it was amazing that the only thing we lost was the 'kraut and the skillet. The Corelle plate is still used every day. It has a scortched spot on the bottom. AFter that, we always played a game at dinner to see who had the "burnt plate".
The skillet was, I think a Mirro brand, and a non-stick type, with the black insides, and after this, the ring that was left turned a really pretty bright blue.
...and did your mother turn her brother a really pretty bright (black and) blue? :? :shock: :)
Old 04-14-2009, 06:19 PM
Power Poster

DH just told me a kitchen story AND an old girlfriend story....
When he was in high school, while at her house, his girlfriend cooked some boiled eggs and set them on the table to cool off.
After a few minutes, one of them busted open and it had a biddy in it, feathers and all.
I'm not sure I actually believe this story...all you chicken owners...is this possible? She probably boiled it on the stove for at least 20 minutes, unless she really knew how to cook...LIKE ME (SAYING IT LOUD FOR HUBBY TO HEAR ME) lol,...
can you believe I just went in living room and asked him if he saw this himself, and he said yes...it was on the table. The egg had just burst open and you could see the chick. If it had been in a nest under a chicken for one more day, it would have hatched.
I said, "who was the girlfriend?"
"I ain't gonna tell you."
"Why not?"
"Because it's none of your business."
"You don't remember, do you?" "You just remember the egg."
"No, I do remember. Her name was p---- g---"
I said, "why didn't you want to tell me? You told me the story, you put it out there on the floor....you watch all those court shows."
Ok, so I'm watching this now...points to tv....MEN!!! w/ old girlfriends, really. Hmmm, think I'll get him in the kitchen and 'cause' a disaster!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 04-15-2009, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

Cheryl....I guuueeeesssss it could have happened...not calling your DH a liar, but the chick mmiiiighhhht have had feathers, but it certainly would NOT have been alive :roll:
Old 04-15-2009, 04:27 AM

Hmmm, can't think of anything apart from the many times I have cut and burnt myself while I was doing my chef training years ago.

Although I'm sure my Mom would remind me of a few disasters with food coluring spilt everywhere when I was little!
Old 04-15-2009, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy

...and did your mother turn her brother a really pretty bright (black and) blue? :? :shock: :)
Why? What did he do? (This uncle was my mother's sister's husband).
Old 04-15-2009, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
Cheryl....I guuueeeesssss it could have happened...not calling your DH a liar, but the chick mmiiiighhhht have had feathers, but it certainly would NOT have been alive :roll:
LOL...I didn't believe him either, but he said it was dead after I pressed him. He just gets himself into these jams...guess that's why he doesn't talk much...paints himself into a corner, lol! yeah, I'm rolling my eyes at that one too!!! :roll: :D
Old 04-15-2009, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

maybe, I misunderstood...thought after your mom left the house, he stopped by and turned the stove back on and left it? or did your mom accidentally leave it that way? I thought he almost burnt your house down? sorry, unc! and it was a brother in law...ohhh!!! geesh, was thinking somebody needed a blanket party...(throw a blanket over 'em, and beat the stew out of 'em???) :wink:
well, it was a good story, no matter who did it, glad you guys could find some humor in it, later. that's scary. love my nonstick pans! oh, and I use corelle for lids on pots too!!!
Old 04-15-2009, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
OK...I"m going to fess up...besides the fact that when we were first married my DH ate a ton of raw chicken (surprized he didn't die from it)..here is the most embarrassing thing I've ever done.

We were actually just dating and I decided that I would fry some shrimp for dinner. I did a bang up job...I have to say they were beautiful! They just weren't peeled.... :roll: I forgot to do that little step. Anyway..DH said.."Ah...aren't you supposed to peel these before frying?" I replied..."Well...this is how MY mama did it.." Now for the best part...Years later, we were at Mom's to eat Christmas dinner. She brought out a lovely ham and Dad tried to slice it...she had left the plastic wrapper on it!...I winked at my DH and said..."See...I told you...MY mama leaves all the wrappers on!"...We couldn't stop laughing long enough to tell them what we were laughing at! :lol: :lol:
that's too funny! Me and hubby have laughed like that, but I always have to make a run for it, when I get 'going' like that...yikes!
Old 04-15-2009, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

I have one to tell on my Mom! She was fixing supper for us. She turned off the burner and put a Corelle plate over the skillet with sauerkraut in it bc she didn't have a lid for that one. She came to get me at my friend's house, just down the road, and visited with my friend's mother for a while. I cannot remember how long she was gone. My uncle had came to our house while we were gone and said he'd smelled sauerkraut.
The stove was electric with knobs that would turn all the way around. Instead of getting the knob to "OFF" it went over to "LOW". The entire bottom was burned out of the skillet. There was a handle and a ring left. The stove cleaned up, and it was amazing that the only thing we lost was the 'kraut and the skillet. The Corelle plate is still used every day. It has a scortched spot on the bottom. AFter that, we always played a game at dinner to see who had the "burnt plate".
The skillet was, I think a Mirro brand, and a non-stick type, with the black insides, and after this, the ring that was left turned a really pretty bright blue.
oh my goodness...well give him the hairy peanut prize, cause he probably SAVED your house...mom only turned the stove to low!
Funny, how we interpret things online,...i am really kindof shy, and sometimes come back to my stuff and think, geesh girl, you sound kinda pushy or somefin, lol! nope, just chatty! :lol:
Old 04-15-2009, 08:30 AM

maybe, I misunderstood...thought after your mom left the house, he stopped by and turned the stove back on and left it? or did your mom accidentally leave it that way? I thought he almost burnt your house down? sorry, unc! and it was a brother in law...ohhh!!! geesh, was thinking somebody needed a blanket party...(throw a blanket over 'em, and beat the stew out of 'em???) :wink:
well, it was a good story, no matter who did it, glad you guys could find some humor in it, later. that's scary. love my nonstick pans! oh, and I use corelle for lids on pots too!!!
No. Uncle just came along and knocked on the door. Later he told us he thought he'd smelled sauerkraut! LOL!