Kitchen Disasters

Old 04-13-2009, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

Oh...I've done the kitchen fire thing too.....Turned on the NEW stove to preheat .....had forgotten to take the instruction manual out of the darn thing.....You know...they light up pretty darn quickly!!
Old 04-13-2009, 03:40 PM

When I was first married, I thought I knew how to cook- I mean how hard could it be?? So I made meat loaf. Cooked it forever- came out hard as a rock. Couldn't even cut it so I threw it down the garbage disposal and it broke the disposal. When my DH asked what was for dinner, I said blueberry or cherry? He picked and I put a cup of yogurt in front of him. That's what was left in the fridge-- we ate out.
Cheryl
Old 04-13-2009, 04:18 PM

I guess I had a so many when the kids were little they didn't know I could cook...I boiled the noodles and stuffed the manacotti and made the sauce from scratch, toss the salad and toasted the french bread. Phew! that was a long day in the kitchen. We sit down to the table and Young son, about 3 years old at the time said "This is really good, Mom. Where did you buy it?" I never did convince him that I had made it.

Another reason I know they don't think I can cook - when the smoke alarm goes off someone always yells through the house "Dinner is ready!" Usually my DH!

We did actually live in one house that the alarm must have been to close to the kitchen. No matter what you cooked it would set off the alarm.

Later, working at school when the teacher wanted me to help with the cooking lessons: I held "Alice's Smoke Alarm School of Cooking"

And Yes! There is a sign in my kitchen that says "You get it My Way". My kitchen is not Alice's Restaurant! They don't get everything they want :lol:

Old 04-13-2009, 05:49 PM

I love cooking and I love to try new recipes. My husband and I had just gotten married and he was shipping out to Iraq a couple of days later, so we had a quickie honeymoon at a nearby motel. It was just after the holidays, so I thought I would make us a "special" holiday dinner with dessert to take with us to the motel. I had found a recipe for a pumpkin pie earlier in the week that used silken tofu instead of eggs and I thought it sounded good so I made it for our dessert. We finished our meal, and I got out the pumpkin pie and cut us each a piece. I took a bite out of mine and realized I had forgotten to put sugar in it! I kept a straight face so as not to let on so I could see what my husband would think.....the look on his face when he took a bite of that pie was priceless! To this day whenever I make pumpkin pie, he always asks first if I remembered the sugar.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:46 AM

my worst was not really my fault..lol.
I turned on the oven to pre-heat and the worst smell known to man started after like 15 minutes. We had to open kitchen windows and all that. Seems a mouse decided to get into my oven and die..OMG! took us forever to get the reek out of the kitchen and my oven. Baked Mouse is not a dish I prefer to cook..EVER!!
Old 04-14-2009, 04:07 AM
Power Poster

OMG Lisa...I think you win! That is disgusting!!!!
Old 04-14-2009, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
OMG Lisa...I think you win! That is disgusting!!!!
you get my vote too!!! ugh!!!!!
(I have had filet o' mouse, and it is awful!!!!) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 04-14-2009, 09:26 AM

When we were first married and had bought a single wide with an electric range, there had been mice in it. They had eaten all the coating off the wires, and when it was on, it would shock you if you touched any of the metal! AND, you could NOT use the oven bc the mice had peed in there. We tried to bake in it, and it made a horrible stink!
So, I had a little toaster oven that was very old. I tried baking my DH a birthday cake in there. I had to use pretty small pans, so, it was 2-3 layers (can't remember for sure), and that toaster oven was so slow, it took 2-3 hours for each layer to get done.

It wasn't long after that that we went to Sears and bought a new gas stove. I applied for a credit card, got it, and we came home with the stove. Although, I was sick with the flu, and could barely stand up long enough to sign my name....and we ran out of gas on the way home. I haven't let my DH live this one down because the gas gauge didn't work in our little Chevy S-10. He always told me to never let it get below 1/4 tank because it was messed up and would run out at just below 1/4 tank....Well, that day he decided to let it get below a 1/4 of a tank, and there we were with a stove, and I was so sick!
To top it off, that was a really junky stove! I think it was a kenmore, and it was expensive!
Old 04-14-2009, 09:38 AM

I have one to tell on my Mom! She was fixing supper for us. She turned off the burner and put a Corelle plate over the skillet with sauerkraut in it bc she didn't have a lid for that one. She came to get me at my friend's house, just down the road, and visited with my friend's mother for a while. I cannot remember how long she was gone. My uncle had came to our house while we were gone and said he'd smelled sauerkraut.
The stove was electric with knobs that would turn all the way around. Instead of getting the knob to "OFF" it went over to "LOW". The entire bottom was burned out of the skillet. There was a handle and a ring left. The stove cleaned up, and it was amazing that the only thing we lost was the 'kraut and the skillet. The Corelle plate is still used every day. It has a scortched spot on the bottom. AFter that, we always played a game at dinner to see who had the "burnt plate".
The skillet was, I think a Mirro brand, and a non-stick type, with the black insides, and after this, the ring that was left turned a really pretty bright blue.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Tippy
A number of years ago, I had an old house with really high ceilings. The kitchen was on the back side of the house, the sitting room in the front. I decided to follow a new quick chicken and dumpling recipe. It called for cooking the chicken in a pressure cooker. So I was cooking away..went into the living room for a couple of minutes and heard a huge explosion. Went into the kitchen and there was chicken and broth dripping from the ceiling.. a bit of chicken had gotten into the pop-off valve and the safety plug blew out!!
had to get a ladder to clean the ceiling...
My Mom also had a pressure cooker blow up. It was Lima Beans. She was scared to use hers for a long time, but we both use them now. They can be very dangerous. The directions say to never fill them more than half full when cooking things like beans, and if you add a little cooking oil, it will prevent frothing.