Kitchen Disasters

Old 04-15-2009, 01:58 PM

the craziest thing i've ever done in my kitchen was to let my dh in before dinner was ready.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:17 PM
Power Poster

Tee Hee, love your sense of humor
Old 04-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by butterflywing
the craziest thing i've ever done in my kitchen was to let my dh in before dinner was ready.
well, can't remember which holiday it was, but all the kids were here, and we were all around the table, and the subject turned to "places our kids have done it"...and quite uncharacteristically, my hubby says, "me and mama have christened every room in the house."
One of the girls said, "yeah, I heard about you and mama in MY bed."
I spoke up and said, "I don't know what your daddy's been up to, but I ain't been in nobody's bed, but my own."
Hubby just grins, cause he's got one nibbling on the hook..."I told you, we've been all over the house..." and he looked down,...
and now that he has everyone's attention, they notice he is looking down,
and this "nibbler"...shrieks, "oh my gosh, even on this table?"...
you should have seen the looks on all of their faces...to think they were eating off of something, that their parents, no less,
had been...frolicking on...and I'm laughing (at them),
and saying, "no, we never...I wouldn't ever...he's pulling your leg..."
it took a little convincing, but they have always believed their mama over their daddy any day. He wishes! :D
Old 04-15-2009, 11:55 PM

My favorite is the time I made broth from the Christmas turkey carcus. There was snow on the deck outside the kitchen, so I put the pot outside to cool. The next thing I knew, the neighbor's Golden Retriever was lapping it up with a look of utter joy on his face.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:04 AM
Power Poster

ah, turkey, turkey, turkey!!! (Homeward Bound) :D
Gonna get me a Golden Retriever one day, but he ain't getting my turkey gravy...well, I may share a little. I'm a sucker for a pretty face :D
Old 04-16-2009, 07:14 AM

there was one time when we had friends over for dinner and i made a big oven-stuffer-roaster, stuffed, and a small roast beef. we had a kitchen that opened into the lr. as i was moving the chicken from the roast ing pan onto the serving platter it slipped onto the floor. i quickly picked it up and put it on the platter. what else could i do? when i looked up, one of the women was watching me. she didn't say one word, but she wouldn't let let her dh serve himself any chicken, only roast beef. after that whenever they came for dinner she kept me company in the kitchen while i prepared the food. LMAO :lol:
Old 04-16-2009, 05:37 PM
Power Poster

BW, so that's your secret recipe...I never woulda guessed the ingredients. (One time I dropped a whole plate of food on the floor, and with kids watching...instead of cleaning it all up...I opened the back door, called in our beagle, and he helped himself...then I cleaned the floor)...oh the stories my kids will tell on me!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 10-08-2009, 08:40 AM

I began cooking around 6 years old, adding this, stirring, etc. so I've haven't had any really big disasters like some of the other gals.

First mishap was when I wanted to make applesauce for my brother who was sick. We didn't have enough apples so I decided to make half of the recipe. Only thing was that I didn't use half the amount of water! Gave brother a glass of oj instead.

Once I decide to make this great raisin bread as gifts for co workers and used either baking soda or powder, can't remember which, when I should have used the other one. Breads looked the way they usually came out but good thing I decided to taste one of them - it was hard and bitter. Threw a loaf out for the birds but they took one peck and then flew away. Of course, I had made a double batch of the bread and wasted a ton of good stuff.

My biggest problem lately is leaving something on the stove while I'm doing something in another room, burnt a few meals and pots. Timer on new gas stove doesn't bing very loud or often so sometimes I don't hear it in time. Old stove's timer sounded like a truck backing up - had no problem hearing that anywhere in the house.

It was fun reading about everyone's kitchen disasters, May in Jersey
Old 10-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Power Poster

I kind of forget about stuff on the stove when I'm playing on the computer.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:58 PM

I am notorious for melting the handles off post and pans. We have a REALLY small kitchen with not alot of storage space so whatever pots and pans don't fit in the drawer under the stove or the cabinet, I stick IN the oven. I then forget that I put them in there and preheat the oven, until I start to smell melted rubbery substance!