Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Knittng or crocheted

Knittng or crocheted

My 10 year old granddaughter wants to learn to knit and crochet. Is one easier to learn than the other. Can you suggest a good book? She writes left handed, but does everything else right handed. I am right handed, so hope I can teach her

Blog Entries
    I suggest crocheting, it goes quicker
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

I also suggest crocheting, keeping up with 2 needles is difficult for a beginner. I taught my granddaughter crocheting there are several free patterns on the net.
    granna of 5

Power Poster
    ​Definately crocheting is easier then knitting.

Crocheting is pretty easy to learn and easy to rip out when you make a mistake. Youtube has lots of videos which would probably be easier for her than a book. That said, I taught myself to crochet from a book back in the ancient times before Youtube and it wasn't hard at all.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

YouTube is your friend. How to Crochet brings up many very good videos. How to knit has many wonderful videos. I would watch some of the videos with her and see what she might want to make. Knowing she will have something she will like when she completes the project could be the thing that keeps her interest.

I know how to crochet, learned before I was 6 from my grandmother, but can't seem to wrap my head around knitting. Now that you have brought up this question, I may go look for my knitting needles, thread and start watching some videos.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

I learned to crochet about 2 years ago, and learned to knit this summer (socks only). Crochet is definitely easier when you make a mistake. You can just pull on the yarn and go back as far as you need to. With knitting, it's much more difficult (at least for me).

However, very young people can learn how to knit (my mom was 12 when she learned to knit, and she promptly taught her four-year-old sister!) My mom did not learn to crochet until she was an adult and taught herself.

I'd see what types of things she wants to create. I had two goals: learn to crochet a granny square, and learn to knit socks. So far, that is all I've done with either craft (when I crochet a blanket, I just crochet one huge granny square, but I can do a plain granny square or a solid granny square).

The crochet projects do go a lot faster though, especially if you use a big yarn.

For crochet, my mom showed me how to make a chain, and I used youtube to learn the rest. For knitting, I sat by my mom and she showed me how to knit and purl a few short rows, and then threw me right onto the socks. I had her show me each step, while I took very careful notes for myself, and then also got the pattern from her. I had to have her show me a few things a couple times, and she had to fix a few of my mistakes on my first sock, but after that, I was able to start figuring out how to fix my mistakes myself (and "just pull on the yarn back to your screw up" was something I learned very quickly not to do after the first time I tried it!)
    Last edited by Sleepy Hollow; 12-09-2018 at 09:28 PM.
    If your dreams don't scare you, they aren't big enough!

You mentioned that your granddaughter is left handed - so am I.

As you are right handed you may find it helpful to use a book that demonstrates left handed crocheting - or even better a YouTube video.

I learned to knit in Home Ec about a million years ago. One student was left handed and I remember the teacher sat across the table facing her when she instructed her. I agree crochet is one instrument so may be easier to learn.

I learned to knit at the YWCA making scarves for WW2 servicemen, 1945 when 10. I learned to crochet a few years later and still do special projects, mostly for grands and greats when those "Itis" boys stay away. I taught a left handed friend to do both by sitting toes to toes and she could follow just fine. Like sitting in front of a mirror.

My left handed grandma taught me by sitting across from me. I could repeat her stitches that way.

Thx ladies. Very helpful

I think crochet is easier than knitting, unless you teach her to knit on a loom. Loom knitting is really easy. Knitting with two needles is harder.

My husband taught me to crochet when we first got married. His grandma taught him. No one in my family did either knit or crochet.

maryb119, your left handed grandma was/is brilliant!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moira in N.E. England View Post
    You mentioned that your granddaughter is left handed - so am I.

As you are right handed you may find it helpful to use a book that demonstrates left handed crocheting - or even better a YouTube video.
    I eat and write left-handed, but do everything else right-handed, including sewing and knitting. I can't crochet to save my life.

Some people are able to do both, for me I never was able to crochet. Don't know what it is about it, I could knit just fine. Still can even with my vision issues (ok, I don't do anything fancy and use big needles and yarn). But never could get the hang of crochet.

I'm basically ambidextrous, a wind musician and extremely fast typist. I remember back when I was little my teacher drilled into me "I write with my right hand" but that was back in the day. Don't think I'm a forced lefty, just ambi.

I would have to agree that crochet is easier to learn; starting out I found the needle awkward to use and progress seemed soooo..... slow. I also agree that correcting errors in crochet is so much easier which makes it far less frustrating as you learn.

I am a lefty. I knew enough to turn my paper the opposite way that the right-handed people were doing. Switched to eating with my right hand when I was 9. If you can find a copy of the "Learn How" book (paperback) that teaches Knitting, Crocheting, Embroidery, buy it. The Learn How book also includes Tatting. I learned how to Tat from the book when I was 40 years old. It is available on eBay for $5 plus shipping. Google "Learn How book". For less than $10 it is a great book. I learned by following the illustrations in the book. Knit first pair of socks with 4 double pointed needles by reading/following illustrations in the book when I was 10.

I only know how to knit although I've heard crochet is easier and faster.

My crochet gets tighter the farther I go and I prefer to knit. I'm told you will prefer the one you learned first. If you have a problem keeping ahold of 2 needles, use one of the circular needles but only as straight needles--back and forth. You won't have to keep finding that other needle and it seems to me that the stitches stay on the circular one better when putting the work down.

Quote Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
    My left handed grandma taught me by sitting across from me. I could repeat her stitches that way.
    I agree. Sit in chairs facing her. That is how I taught my Mother to crochet.

Blog Entries
    I taught my “lefty” DD to crochet by having her sit across from me so that she saw the process the way she would do it. We sat and worked on a small loose ball of thick smooth yarn each, and a rather large needle so she could see easier where I was inserting and pulling yarn from. Once she could do it with the big items, she could easily change to smaller yarn and crochet hook. A “righty” teaching a “lefty” to crochet is not easy, but with love all things are possible. I never taught her to knit because my coordination is no good for knitting, but I did offer her lessons with a real knitter, but she declined.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I don't remember which I learned first, but I think knitting is more useful.
    When I was teaching tatting class, a lady came with no fingers on her left hand. The left fingers do a lot of things in tatting. So I told her to face me and do as I do as in a mirror. It worked. The other hand only needs a thumb and something to press the thumb against. She had that.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I knit and crochet and didn't have a problem learning either. I prefer knitting. My grandmother and mother did both.