Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Know your weed killer!

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Know your weed killer!

here on the east coast, the Dr Oz show discussed "Roundup" on a show this week. hope you all saw it. Roundup is a known carcinogen according to scientists and the manufacturer is denying it because it is one of their best selling products. [in the billions i might add] Sounds like it is following in DDT's footsteps. How unfortunate for us and future generations that $$$ take precedence on such issues....
    "variety is the spice of life"

Power Poster
    We don't use herbicides of pesticides on our lawn.

Glad they are bringing all these poisons to light. That poor family that was on vacation and all got poisoned, the boys and dad were still in a coma i think. The lymphoma website has said its one of the leading causes of non hodgkins lymphoma but no one can fight Monsanto, the more people spray, the more money they make. So many people think pesticides are good, but it alters the natural eco system that would ordinarily have its own defenses, and kills beneficial bugs, constantly causing weakening in the eco system, not to mention poisoning streams, wildlife and humans. People spray yards and homes and get on a maintenance plan, thats so the sprayers can make money. If they must use these toxic chemicals, they should only use as needed. Not to mention how many dogs in yards have gotten cancer and or died while their yards were being routinely sprayed. These applicators tell you this stuff is safe as soon as it is dry, really? Are they research scientists? How can peaticides and safe be used in the same sentence..

Blog Entries
    the sad part is, even if you don't buy it or use it you are still breathing it! Roundup has been banned in one of the Dutch countries -- i think it is Netherlands -- 1 in 2 men will get cancer in their life and 1 in 3 women will also.....

Blog Entries
    I still see commercials with professionals spraying someone's lawn, wearing regular clothing and shoes and walking forward as they spray for weeds, bugs, etc. When i spray for dandelion's, I walk backward and don't spray on windy days either. I hate chemicals but do use them. carefully.

GEE WIZ. I always used Roundup to kill the weeds in my yard. I am now in an apt and don't use it anymore. Wonder what the maintenance people use.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    I still see commercials with professionals spraying someone's lawn, wearing regular clothing and shoes and walking forward as they spray for weeds, bugs, etc. When i spray for dandelion's, I walk backward and don't spray on windy days either. I hate chemicals but do use them. carefully.
    they want you to believe it's safe, -- when it rains, or you turn on sprinklers, it is leaching into the soil and the water table below ground, and eventually you are drinking it....

Blog Entries
    what bugs me the most is that there has to be a natural alternative, but apparently it doesn't make as much $$ as chemicals that kill... and if you're buying/eating organic b/c you think it's safer -- it isn't -- if there is a farm nearby that uses chemicals!!! and chances are there is! it will eventually reach surrounding farms/soil/water...it's very scary to learn that the EPA is just now reopening an investigation into Roundup!

Blog Entries
    thanks for the information. very interesting
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

I use pesticides and herbicides very rarely. I prefer to pull weeds than poison them but sometimes I just can't kill them manually.

I've always thought the company name "Chem Lawn" is such an odd choice. Who would want a lawn full of chemicals?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
    I use pesticides and herbicides very rarely. I prefer to pull weeds than poison them but sometimes I just can't kill them manually.

I've always thought the company name "Chem Lawn" is such an odd choice. Who would want a lawn full of chemicals?
    great observation, i think that's exactly what we have!

I never use chemicals in my garden, use natural fertilizers/minerals. Weeds/kikuyu get pulled up and composted, paths, just use boiling water, ants, just cheap dish detergent and water.

Doesn't the extra strong white vinegar kill weeds?

I use a mixture of 1 gallon white vinegar, 2 cups of Epsom salt and 1/4 cup of dawn dish soap. Mix it together and you can pour it on or use a sprayer. Usually works in 2-3 days.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    My MIL's neighbor professionally sprayed lawns for a living. He died very young ( early 40's) from some strange form of cancer. Rumor was it was from not wearing a mask when he sprayed...
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

Since I read several articles about how Roundup is now in genetically modified seed corn, I buy only organic corn products, such as in cereal, canned corn or chips. Mary Jane Butters of "Mary Jane's Farm" has written about this. The man next door is in love with roundup, yet he thinks ivy is a desirable plant. He still can't figure out why the roses planted at the fence line posts died. They planted, then sprayed all around with roundup. There is not a day here in our SW WA area that there is not a breeze.

Weed killer: 1 quart vinegar, 1T salt, 1T Dawn dish detergent. Spray liberally....kills vegetation in hours. I use it all the time. (Heat vinegar to help dissolve the salt.)

Where I have just weeds and no grass or flowers I use the mixture of apple cider vinegar, salt and Dawn dish soap. Read about this I think on this digest so tried it out as I'd like to try to stay as eco friendly as possible. Takes a few days to work but it does work...............at least for me. My neighbor tried it and it didn't work for him so I guess its a 50-50 chance. Otherwise I go out to pull weeds most every morning early before it heats up. Gives me a reason to get some fresh air and to take a stroll around the gardens.

For bugs outside I check online to see what should be planted next to what to keep the bugs at bay such as garlic around your roses. I've used Irish Spring soap to keep the critters out of the gardens but didn't find that to work too well.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

You don't need "Extra strong" white vinegar. Agricultural vinegar is 20% acidity and is VERY caustic and dangerous, requiring protective gear. Homeowners do not need this stuff. It's expensive, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
    Doesn't the extra strong white vinegar kill weeds?

I'm surprised to hear this....my vinegar mixture killed in hours. Do you dissolve the salt???

Quote Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
    Where I have just weeds and no grass or flowers I use the mixture of apple cider vinegar, salt and Dawn dish soap. Read about this I think on this digest so tried it out as I'd like to try to stay as eco friendly as possible. Takes a few days to work but it does work...............at least for me. My neighbor tried it and it didn't work for him so I guess its a 50-50 chance. Otherwise I go out to pull weeds most every morning early before it heats up. Gives me a reason to get some fresh air and to take a stroll around the gardens.

For bugs outside I check online to see what should be planted next to what to keep the bugs at bay such as garlic around your roses. I've used Irish Spring soap to keep the critters out of the gardens but didn't find that to work too well.

I don't disagree that the lawn care products are toxic and long range dangerous, but, since 99% of us who have property insist on grass. And inevitably dandelions...that can be quite aggressive and one can loose the battle with them quickly....what is the alternative.....we have a veggie garden and some flower gardens, but like everyone else...much grass...that must be " maintained" to keep property values stable..........so I have a lawn service.....

I would be interested in an alternative to Round Up that works here in the deep south. I've tried all those recipes with Dawn, salt, vinegar, etc. in various combinations, some boiling, etc. It kills the green parts, but, then in a day or two it is all back like it was on steroids!! I pull as many as possible, but, anyone down here will tell you in a minute, weeds will take over again. We have done a good job in the flower beds with pine straw. that has cut down tremendously on the weeds. Weeds come up through landscape fabric, two layers with the top part of the grass/weedy part scraped off first. Go figure. So, will be interested in a good alternative.
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    I have a huge old cherry tree in the middle of my front yard. The drip line covers 80% of the lawn. I flat out refuse to use any toxic chemicals that could get into the cherries.

I do not have the 'must kill the dandelions' gene. I pull them, but do not worry about them in the long run.

I also plant bulbs in my lawn.

Lastly I do not water my lawn. It usually has turned brown by the end of May and greens up again in September when the rains start.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Roundup commercials set my teeth on edge.
    Pat

There is a great deal of misinformation available and unfortunately we have people such as Dr Oz and the media, who only like to give part of the story. Here is an article with more information:
    http://www.askthefarmers.com/glyphos...-a-carcinogen/

PB from MN
    A proud American Farmer

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast