Land vs. Cell

Old 06-09-2011, 04:23 PM

Yeah we got rid of our landline about 3 years ago, the only problem I had at first were when the DGK visited and no phone but now they have cells. I love it, it saves us about 120 a month
Old 06-09-2011, 04:26 PM

We have a land phone, package deal computer, phone and cable and also cells that we each pay about $25 per year. Cells are for travel, emergencies, etc. My sons and their famlies all have cells and no land phones but older folks like us aren't into cells, most of my local friends don't even use the computer let alone a cell phone. Whatever works for you, do it. May in Jersey
Old 06-09-2011, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by cizzors
I'm giving up mine simply because it will save $30.00 a month.
Me too! I do not miss the home phone or home phone company.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by grannypat7925
Can't cancel land line here. I have digital phone with bundle with Cable and Internet. If I cancel phone part they up the price on the rest and it would end up costing me more.
That's another reason why I can't cancel our land line.
It's a bundle package with home phone, high speed internet and digital cable with DVR.
If I cancel our land line, the bundle package bill will remain the same, so may as well keep the land line.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:55 PM

we keep our land line because it is more likely to work if we get a hurricane
Old 06-09-2011, 06:24 PM

there r no cons lol! we save money for turning off the housephone, no more wrong numbers at all hrs, NO MORE sales/political/charity calls at all hrs.
for family, get skype on your computer - its totally free computer to computer.
hubs signed a 2 yr contract w/ verizon (for a fancy shmancy phone! lol and he turned on the music today and couldnt turn it off and had to go to the BR at walmart so there he sat in a stall w/ his own private music playing LOL!!!) he says at the end of the contract we're getting basic phones and min, we hardly ever call anyone. he says he wished hed turned off the house phone yrs ago. I have hubs, 2 brothers, dr, vet, electric co, on speed dial. They have my # too, for apptments they call the cell to remind me.
he wants to get rid of cable too. the shows on TV suck and most of them are on the computer anyway and we can hook that up to the TV. Actually, there are more things Id watch on the computer - more docs, history things. Youtube is loaded with quilting programs. That shows my age! I can remember when my mom used to say she was going to pull the plug on the TV cus there was nothing on - all she watched was TCM, old movies. Now, thats all I seem to watch.
sharet
Old 06-09-2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by arimuse
there r no cons lol! we save money for turning off the housephone, no more wrong numbers at all hrs, NO MORE sales/political/charity calls at all hrs.
for family, get skype on your computer - its totally free computer to computer.
hubs signed a 2 yr contract w/ verizon (for a fancy shmancy phone! lol and he turned on the music today and couldnt turn it off and had to go to the BR at walmart so there he sat in a stall w/ his own private music playing LOL!!!) he says at the end of the contract we're getting basic phones and min, we hardly ever call anyone. he says he wished hed turned off the house phone yrs ago. I have hubs, 2 brothers, dr, vet, electric co, on speed dial. They have my # too, for apptments they call the cell to remind me.
he wants to get rid of cable too. the shows on TV suck and most of them are on the computer anyway and we can hook that up to the TV. Actually, there are more things Id watch on the computer - more docs, history things. Youtube is loaded with quilting programs. That shows my age! I can remember when my mom used to say she was going to pull the plug on the TV cus there was nothing on - all she watched was TCM, old movies. Now, thats all I seem to watch.
sharet
Got rid of the landline years ago. Why pay $45 a month for a land line with long distance when an additional cell line was only $10 with unlimited long distance??!! My "house" phone is a cell, and i have my personal cell to go everywhere with me. Win Win!
As far as the TV, we dropped cable ($55) and use only Netflix ($16). We have a Wii so we Netflix what ever we want to watch. Can watch all sorts of TV show episodes back to back and the best part is NO COMMERCIALS none, nada, not a one!! If only I could find a cheaper or free version of getting good internet! ($65) :roll:
Old 06-09-2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by alikat110
We only use cell. My husband, 13y/o son and I carry one. The little o ones are always with us!!! Only concern is 911 conects to land lines, but all kids know our address by heart
I think you can always make a 911 call on a cell for free. Thats why they have cell phone drives for older cells you dont use. They make sure they work and give them out to people who cant afford the service and they are used only for 911 calls (or thats what I understood from a phone drive the bank here had )-so people who dont have any phone service can at least call 911 if theres an emergency. sharet
Old 06-09-2011, 06:41 PM

Only thing you need a land-line for is to fax. Dump it and save $$$$$$$$.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:57 PM

I will keep my landline phone even if I have a cell phone.